What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Don’t know how many have seen this, but just got the word that we will no longer be allowed to “tack on” an airman’s stripes when they get promoted.  This behavior is considered hazing and will not be tolerated.

By current standards, my high school was populated with war criminals. 

Anyway, sorry for the distraction, what were we talking about here?

14 hours ago, Homestar said:

What, no more friendly shoulder punches?

Not just the USAF getting "weak-zebra" syndrome.  In the Navy, if you didn't show blood under your wings on winging day (we were in Summer whites at the time), it was just an excuse for the instructors to keep punching.  I took that route vice "drinking" my wings (yep, there is one guy out there that did take a trip to the hospital to have them removed from his stomach. so drunk he forgot to "catch" the wings in his teeth near the end [unlike turning the boot to avoid the bubble]). 

ATIS

16 hours ago, SuperWSO said:

Don’t know how many have seen this, but just got the word that we will no longer be allowed to “tack on” an airman’s stripes when they get promoted.  This behavior is considered hazing and will not be tolerated.

By current standards, my high school was populated with war criminals. 

Anyway, sorry for the distraction, what were we talking about here?

Ehh....., always thought the shoulder punch was kinda dumb.  And every now and again someone would actually get hurt.

2 hours ago, Azimuth said:

No, I don't, since we're the only branch that does it.  And I spent 16-years Enlisted in the USAF.

Used to bug the shit out of me when I'd walk into base ops (sergeant) and they'd auto-sir me.  Brief explanation that, no, despite the bag, I'm an E-5, you can call me Sgt, shithead, whatever, just knock off the sir.  Still sir this and that sir.  FFS.

Then I finished OTS, now immersed in my newfound Blue world, was when I finally noticed, they're all sir/ma'am-ing each other.  MSgt calling A1C sir, SSgts calling each other ma'am.  And also calling me sir.  But since they also call the coffee pot sir, seems like much less of a courtesy extended.  Its a culture of diluting the enlisted rank structure, delineation and responsibilities within enl/NCO ranks, and the enl/off relationship.    A continuation of the mindset leading to a SrA stopping a Capt for ________ infraction, and if the Capt does not accept the correction on the spot, the SrA tells their Shirt, etc, etc.

My opinion, from the perspective of having been proud to be addressed as Sgt, because it meant something, and I knew early on that if I ever poked a finger in a Marine Captain's chest, I would pull back a bloody stump, regardless of what clownery he was wearing.  But that's where I grew up, I guess.

Edited by BFM this
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 2/27/2018 at 11:49 PM, mcbush said:

Also, no more rank. Aren’t we all equals as Airpersons?

Airperson is offensive to non ops types as it insinuates that you aren’t as special if you aren’t near the flight line.  Soon to come: blueperson. 

On 2/28/2018 at 1:06 PM, BFM this said:

My opinion, from the perspective of having been proud to be addressed as Sgt, because it meant something, and I knew early on that if I ever poked a finger in a Marine Captain's chest, I would pull back a bloody stump, regardless of what clownery he was wearing.  But that's where I grew up, I guess.

Did not use sir too much unless they were very senior to everybody. MX world we addressed officers by their rank, Capt, Major etc and of course the 2nd Lt whose life was being made miserable by a MX O-5 was addressed ell tee. If I was calling out a MX troop if in casual conversation I used their last name and if I started saying Amn Snuffy you know I was about to chew your ass. If my MX officer had a uniform infraction  I would just make eye contact, point to my own uniform and he would look at his and fix the infraction, then I would just smile and walk away. Always keep it professional.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dream big said:

Airperson is offensive to non ops types as it insinuates that you aren’t as special if you aren’t near the flight line.  Soon to come: blueperson. 

<a href="//imgur.com/BXuUR"></a>

Edited by 17D_guy

This fail brought you by US Cyber Command

It was removed by the *new* DSET addin that will crash Outlook even more often and let less possible PII through. Any string of 10 numbers is assumed to be a SSN and will require encryption to send.

it. Hit encrypt on all emails!
  • Upvote 1

What’s wrong with the Air Force?  When O-6’s put focus on shit like enough to put it in a OI.

From McConnell’s OG:

"Use appropiate Wing or OG letterhead for official correspondence.  Use black letterhead for internal correspondence, blue headers for external correspondence."

Who the fuck cares?  Of course the OG at McConnell is the type of guy who wears shirt garters in civilian clothes.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2