What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

5 minutes ago, panchbarnes said:

Strictly responding to the "microaggression" apology at the Academy.

Senior military leaders do not know how to respond to social media criticism and demands.  The conventional thinking is to immediately appease to the younger generation and the social media witch hunts because it will win internet points and avoid online backlash.  This method is effective in temporary quelling the social media faux outrages (often not the core audience), but in the long run it erodes good standard and discipline, esprit de corps,  and effective military command and control.  The correct thing to do is simple, everything in the military comes back to the standards/core values.  Defend the standards and the core values and you will eventually be absolved from the internet accusations (whether or not the person has the courage to do this is a different topic for discussion). 

Mattis is the only person I've seen unaffected by the social media and traditional media attacks.  He  receives generally favorable supports from military members and civilian alike, because he stick to his core values/principles, simple and truthful with his answers, and his body of work gives him credibility.  When I think of the SECDEF I think of lethality, he only cares about lethality (have stated many times) and it's my job to support his priority.

I cringe when I see senior managers create selfies and mannequin challenges (Debbie James) or the NSA Director wearing t-shirt and mom jeans in Vegas (Keith Alexander) in an effort to connect with the younger crowds. 

It's almost like deciding to serve for some higher purpose requires some sacrifice and dedication.

Good post man.

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

These people need to understand how to be progressive without being such pussies about it. 

You can't have one without the other--progressives own the overly done PC/microaggression bullshit.  You don't have to like it, but don't be so naive about it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, panchbarnes said:

Strictly responding to the "microaggression" apology at the Academy.

Senior military leaders do not know how to respond to social media criticism and demands.  The conventional thinking is to immediately appease to the younger generation and the social media witch hunts because it will win internet points and avoid online backlash.  This method is effective in temporary quelling the social media faux outrages (often not the core audience), but in the long run it erodes good standard and discipline, esprit de corps,  and effective military command and control.  The correct thing to do is simple, everything in the military comes back to the standards/core values.  Defend the standards and the core values and you will eventually be absolved from the internet accusations (whether or not the person has the courage to do this is a different topic for discussion). 

Mattis is the only person I've seen unaffected by the social media and traditional media attacks.  He  receives generally favorable supports from military members and civilian alike, because he stick to his core values/principles, simple and truthful with his answers, and his body of work gives him credibility.  When I think of the SECDEF I think of lethality, he only cares about lethality (have stated many times) and it's my job to support his priority.

I cringe when I see senior managers create selfies and mannequin challenges (Debbie James) or the NSA Director wearing t-shirt and mom jeans in Vegas (Keith Alexander) in an effort to connect with the younger crowds. 

Ditto.

I don't know if this generation of AF "leaders" / other public officials (very last boomers / oldest Gen X'ers) desperately trying to seem cool realizes that Millenials can smell their cheesy lame attempts at "connection" a mile away.  

My oldest is amongst those oh so ironic sensing cohort and I may be naive but I have her respect by not attempting to be just like them, you know young kids, but I act like an adult, reasonably mature and not ham handily trying to emulate their idioms, mannerisms, humor or fads.  Unsurprisingly, I am treated well by her and her friends because more than anything people respect honesty.

This goes not just for AF leadership but other public officials:  people (especially young people and those serving in a defined hierarchy) want to respect the person in charge more than they want to identify with them on a personal level.  

You can't respect someone that is not genuine and honest, you may not like someone but if they can have your respect and loyalty if they are honest, capable and moral.  Give them reasons to respect you rather than reasons to like you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Shocked she was back in a flight suit.  Ask the Thunder Chickens about the time she puked all over their family model.

It’s better than seeing Jabba the Roche in a desert bag at the Deid circa 2004. Looked like they had to sew two together.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 9:11 AM, HeloDude said:

You can't have one without the other--progressives own the overly done PC/microaggression bullshit.  You don't have to like it, but don't be so naive about it.

You can be cool with abortion and gay marriage and still think that safe-spaces are retarded. Nothing inherently binds you to blindly follow a single party's doctrine.

Edited by Seriously
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Seriously said:

You can be cool with abortion and gay marriage and still think that safe-spaces are retarded. Nothing inherently binds you to blindly follow a single party's doctrine.

1) I agree--I'm fine with gay marriage and don't support criminalizing abortion.  Liberty-minded people think this way and are not necessarily progressive.

2) Where did I say anything about a "party"? (I'm assuming you mean political party?)

3) Yes--progressives own the "safe-space" shit.  I have yet to meet/hear of anyone who is overly PC who also isn't a progressive.  Let me know if you disagree.

4) Progressives and statists (i.e. conservatives who are for government banning drugs, gay marriage, etc) are both dangerous to liberty and freedom.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:16 PM, 17D_guy said:

oh good, this threads getting political too.

These political types can’t help it.

I only want a safe space to talk about airplanes, killing Commies for God, and bitching about how the worlds greatest pilot is wasting away on DTS and SAPR briefs. #triggered

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

On 2/18/2018 at 2:13 PM, panchbarnes said:

If I were a Russian or Chinese paid troll or bot programmer, I’d be rolling in with everything I’ve got on military leadership. How I know when I win: US military leaders begin publicly attacking their own with claims of bullying, microaggressions, and unintentional biases.

The possible unintended silver lining for us: the weak-minded leaders will remove each other via Twitter while the IDGAF types like Mattis will be more likely to survive.