What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

I hope your commander says no. And then the OG says no. And then the wg/cc crushes the balls of the ass hat who thought this made sense. Wait..that's the guard, or hopefully your leadership is part of the micro-minority that are actually leaders. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I hope your commander says no. And then the OG says no. And then the wg/cc crushes the balls of the ass hat who thought this made sense. Wait..that's the guard, or hopefully your leadership is part of the micro-minority that are actually leaders. 

I wish that were the guard

10 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

Here's one more papercut from my little corner of the AF...we got an email the other day that our squadron was required to offer up a body to be a green dot facilitator.  We're trying to keep up with our flying mission with our manning well below 100% (just like, I'm sure, everybody else) and now we're mandated to have someone take (more) time out of their schedule to go deal with the Green Dot bullshittery....UFB.  I kinda thought the point of the people that facilitate that program was that they actually had some buy-in or personal experience to share....now it's just another onerous ancillary duty and yet another straw crushing the air power camel. 

You forgot to mention you're deployed hacking the mish right now as well... Worthy also of the "Leadership at the Deid" thread.

Edited by Disco_Nav963

53 minutes ago, Disco_Nav963 said:

You forgot to mention you're deployed hacking the mish right now as well... Worthy also of the "Leadership at the Deid" thread.

Are you saying that deployed squadrons are running green dot programs down range?

Edited by Homestar

3 hours ago, Guardian said:

I wish that were the guard

Ehh...I guess it depends upon your leadership.  I can assure you, you will never see a pilot being a green dot facilitator in our squadron.  We have a MSgt, ops admin chick for that.  She also does A LOT of DTS, orders generation, and many other things that make our lives easier.  Pretty much worth her weight in gold.    

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 2

Ehh...I guess it depends upon your leadership.  I can assure you, you will never see a pilot being a green dot facilitator in our squadron.  We have a MSgt, ops admin chick for that.  She also does A LOT of DTS, orders generation, and many other things that make our lives easier.  Pretty much worth her weight in gold.    

So how heavy are we talking here... buck-fity?
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Disco_Nav963 said:

This was home station.  There are other tales worthy of "Leadership at the Deid" that I will share upon my parole...

13 hours ago, SocialD said:

We have a MSgt, ops admin chick for that.  She also does A LOT of DTS, orders generation, and many other things that make our lives easier.  Pretty much worth her weight in gold.    

Always funny to me that we'd have junior cyber Amn crap on our admin troops when the admin bros/chicks do that above.  Getting CSS' back, and admin troops actually knowledgeable about ops/ops support is one of the best things the service has done to fix Skeletor's nonsense.

On December 11, 2017 at 4:13 PM, FUSEPLUG said:

Where’s Chang?  I’d love to hear his opinion on this...

Ok, I'l be your huckleberry.

Look, there's a ton of blame to go around. The good news: we have a current CSAF & SecAF who "get it."  The bad news: layers of leadership between the CSAF & the common man simply will not break out of their stovepiped thinking.  CSAF: "Stop doing stuff that doesn't make sense."  Wg/CCs: "Until regs change, keep doing the stupid stuff."  For instance, despite the mandate from CSAF that Majors are 100% for the next 3-4 years, Wings are still required to produce narrative-only PRFs for guys going to schools.  Why?  "Because that's what the regs say."  Just one example of many where leaders can't think for themselves...JUST SAY NO!

The system has built yes men incapable of saying no.  If CSAF wants his free thinking approach embraced, he should fire commanders disobeying his orders.  Until he does so, his words are as cheap as his predecessors actions.

Incentivization is an obvious concept unfortunately lost on our over educated managerial class.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

The system has built yes men incapable of saying no.  If CSAF wants his free thinking approach embraced, he should fire commanders disobeying his orders.  Until he does so, his words are as cheap as his predecessors actions.

Incentivization is an obvious concept unfortunately lost on our over educated managerial class.

How does he learn of subordinate commanders disobeying?  Constantly check in on them?  I doubt he has the bandwidth, and even if he did, I fear this would exasperate the micro-managing culture that's already rampant in the USAF. 

1 hour ago, General Chang said:

Look, there's a ton of blame to go around. The good news: we have a current CSAF & SecAF who "get it."  The bad news: layers of leadership between the CSAF & the common man simply will not break out of their stovepiped thinking.  CSAF: "Stop doing stuff that doesn't make sense."  Wg/CCs: "Until regs change, keep doing the stupid stuff."  For instance, despite the mandate from CSAF that Majors are 100% for the next 3-4 years, Wings are still required to produce narrative-only PRFs for guys going to schools.  Why?  "Because that's what the regs say."  Just one example of many where leaders can't think for themselves...JUST SAY NO!

Shouldn't that tell the powers that be just how deep the organizational rot has gone?  When CSAF and SECAF pull all the WING/CC's in a room and say "Knock it off" and it continues, that is not "Stovepiped thinking", that is a completely broken organization.  USAF needs real LEADERSHIP...stand up in front of the room with a baseball bat and knock some sense into these pencil pushing duncewagons.  Fire the first couple that don't listen...get back to being WARRIORS.  I get it, we need a system to manage people, but when the system becomes more powerful than our ability to grow leaders and project combat power...something is seriously fucking wrong.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 8

42 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

How does he learn of subordinate commanders disobeying?  Constantly check in on them?  I doubt he has the bandwidth, and even if he did, I fear this would exasperate the micro-managing culture that's already rampant in the USAF. 

Champ, bro....If CSAF doesn’t have the bandwidth to command, delegate.  And if we can’t start fixing broke shit by firing weaklings masquerading as warriors because we fear potential second order effects, we may as well give up now.  

Champ, bro....If CSAF doesn’t have the bandwidth to command, delegate.  And if we can’t start fixing broke shit by firing weaklings masquerading as warriors because we fear potential second order effects, we may as well give up now.  

Dude I get it. I just don’t know what mechanisms we have in place for CSAF to ID weak managers so that he can appropriately respond.

If a risk averse Wing CC still levies ridiculous requirements on his groups/squadrons based on fear of getting canned for not adhering to archaic and non-applicable regs, how does CSAF find out about that (short of a poor showing during an inspection)? There’s no hotline for the Sq CC at the end of the whip to go VFR-direct to Goldfein and tell him that his guidance isn’t being followed. And the offending wing CC certainly isn’t going to come up on the net and self ID.

I seriously welcome your thoughts as to how this part gets solved.

A great one here:
Location - a lovely ‘Stan
Unit - the only one doing 365s
Problem - TSgt get sent home early for med issues (very legit issue)
AF Solution - send in a temp tech after putting them through training (5 weeks worth) at the same time as the person who is scheduled to replace the TSgt. Then deploy the temp for less than 40 days and schedule temp to leave before the permanent tech even arrive so zero turnover given.

To make matters worse when I found out about the gap I asked the permanent tech if he would be interested in deploying early. He said hell ya. Took that solution to leadership and was told “that sounds like more work than its worth”. So instead we send another person (on short notice) through training with the permanent tech and deploy him for 36 days.

I was livid when I found out. We were all told it was a forward deploying tech from the Deid. How the hell can people believe this makes sense??

22 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

Dude I get it. I just don’t know what mechanisms we have in place for CSAF to ID weak managers so that he can appropriately respond.

If a risk averse Wing CC still levies ridiculous requirements on his groups/squadrons based on fear of getting canned for not adhering to archaic and non-applicable regs, how does CSAF find out about that (short of a poor showing during an inspection)? There’s no hotline for the Sq CC at the end of the whip to go VFR-direct to Goldfein and tell him that his guidance isn’t being followed. And the offending wing CC certainly isn’t going to come up on the net and self ID.

Maybe actually having exit surveys that mean something. All I was asked was “are you hired by an airline?”

it’s not the best option, but an option

If I was a Sq/Grp/Wg CC here’s what I would do: Once outdated regs or processes are identified in my organization, I would draft a policy letter identifying that additional duty or process that my people will no longer execute and give the CSAF guidance as justification. If Congress or someone else wanted to then investigate why we weren’t executing some program that was mandated, I think the CSAF is pretty good top cover. But who the hell knows, they’d probably try to throw me in jail anyway for not having a unit voting assistance monitor. That’s why I’ll never be a CC in this organization.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MooseAg03 said:

If I was a Sq/Grp/Wg CC here’s what I would do: Once outdated regs or processes are identified in my organization, I would draft a policy letter identifying that additional duty or process that my people will no longer execute and give the CSAF guidance as justification. If Congress or someone else wanted to then investigate why we weren’t executing some program that was mandated, I think the CSAF is pretty good top cover. But who the hell knows, they’d probably try to throw me in jail anyway for not having a unit voting assistance monitor. That’s why I’ll never be a CC in this organization.

Its being done already.  Baby steps.  

9 hours ago, General Chang said:

I understand your point but how many captains are going to school? This falls under the AFIT gig I assume? Just curious.

On 12/27/2017 at 3:32 PM, MooseAg03 said:

There’s even a form for this to streamline documentation of stopping things (AF679). Continuing working on a system of record to process and retain all waivers for the entire enterprise so this shit becomes easier than Trump tweeting. 

On 12/27/2017 at 9:54 AM, Champ Kind said:

Bro network, rumor Mills, and even JQP.  You don't even need to fire a bunch...just enough to get people thinking again.  I'd bet after 5-6 wing kings and a couple GOs go, the rest would get the message.

Edited by raimius
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Shout out to the "leaders" who said, "Staff's all in for this exercise."  Then wouldn't clarify what that meant until 1500 on Friday.

That clarification - 12's for 10 days straight, sorry-not sorry about your weekend plans.