What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Guest LumberjackAxe
10 minutes ago, MooseAg03 said:

Transgender Awareness Training. I can't believe we are enacting policy to accommodate people with mental illness. I guess we learned nothing from Bradley/Chelsea Manning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So that's happening now? I remember when we had the DADT repeal training back in '12, and the general consensus amongst everyone was that no one (at least at the bar afterward) cared if people served openly gay. But if I remember correctly, it was mainly about the admin kind of stuff. Like "Before, you could face punishment for being gay. Now you can't."

Is that what this is now? Like "Before, you couldn't enlist/commission if you identified as trans. Now you can." Or is it something else?

42 minutes ago, MooseAg03 said:

Transgender Awareness Training. I can't believe we are enacting policy to accommodate people with mental illness. I guess we learned nothing from Bradley/Chelsea Manning.

Bending over backwards to accommodate a tiny percentage of the overall population while doing nothing to address the pilot exodus.  Nice work, Big Blue.  I'm glad we have our priorities in order.

My DOS cannot arrive fast enough...

• Upvote 4

Transgender policy is under "review" by the Trump admin.. that was as of a month ago not sure there has been updates.  I'm glad my CC compressed tranny awareness training into 30 seconds and then proceeded to talk about aircraft safety issues :)

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Naviguesser said:

Bending over backwards to accommodate a tiny percentage of the overall population while doing nothing to address the pilot exodus.  Nice work, Big Blue.  I'm glad we have our priorities in order.

My DOS cannot arrive fast enough...

It's not just Big Blue there shipmate.  We are all taking a bite of this sandwich. 

ATIS

2 hours ago, LumberjackAxe said:

So that's happening now? I remember when we had the DADT repeal training back in '12, and the general consensus amongst everyone was that no one (at least at the bar afterward) cared if people served openly gay. But if I remember correctly, it was mainly about the admin kind of stuff. Like "Before, you could face punishment for being gay. Now you can't."

What Eagle Sq was this at?

• Upvote 7

You guys haven't reviewed the slide show? I particularly liked the scenarios discussing how to handle a member scheduled to deploy who is currently undergoing sexual reassignment therapy. Good God, why would anyone want to be a commander in this Air Force and have to deal with that shit?

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, MooseAg03 said:

You guys haven't reviewed the slide show? I particularly liked the scenarios discussing how to handle a member scheduled to deploy who is currently undergoing sexual reassignment therapy. Good God, why would anyone want to be a commander in this Air Force and have to deal with that shit?

Fuck no I haven't.

IMG_6221.JPG

So Baba Rand had a "Pilot Retention" Forum or something to that effect the other day. Luckily I couldn't attend, so I'll paraphrase second-hand info. Having worked under his command enough times to know his bullshit, it's probably from accurate accounts.

Roughly: none of your complaints are valid because you're not flying over Hanoi losing 11 BUFFs a day.

He brushed off anything brought up as a non-issue, and his message was suck it up your life is good.

Nice.

8 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

So Baba Rand had a "Pilot Retention" Forum or something to that effect the other day. Luckily I couldn't attend, so I'll paraphrase second-hand info. Having worked under his command enough times to know his bullshit, it's probably from accurate accounts.

Roughly: none of your complaints are valid because you're not flying over Hanoi losing 11 BUFFs a day.

He brushed off anything brought up as a non-issue, and his message was suck it up your life is good.

Nice.

That jack hole was similarly dismissive to our SOS class.  People like him are the reason we have a pilot shortage.  F that guy 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SurelySerious said:

Nice.

So it's going to take losing 11 BUFFs a day over Pyongyang or Tehran for leadership to actually listen to the concerns of those who most heavily carry the burdens of airpower?  UFB...

• Upvote 1

Well... it's both good and mildly depressing to see that the one universal across the branches is "leadership" telling everybody to smile while they eat their shit sandwich.

Army has the same problem and they are even further from admitting it. There are a few senior guys out there that will honestly tell you the truth of, "the next 5 years will suck... but you'd have to F a goat at a preschool to not get promoted since we are short people, so you have that to bank on." Other than those guys everybody pretends it's still 2007 and that Envoy and other airlines aren't willing to throw money at guys to get out.

2 hours ago, Lawman said:

"the next 5 years will suck... but you'd have to F a goat at a preschool to not get promoted since we are short people, so you have that to bank on."

Unfortunately, as that PhD Capt's paper pointed out, this only applies in the AF if you're on staff when you meet your O-5 IPZ Board.

Good God, why would anyone want to be a commander in this Air Force and have to deal with that shit

I grew up around generals who now long retired ask me why I'm not going hard towards command doing the schools and stuff to get there.

I use stories like this to drive it home why being "king turd on shit island" isn't worth it.

When I hear their stories of flying 10+ airframes amassing 8,000 hours when they were my age all while having beers at the club by 4pm each day I realize my USAF is nothing like theirs was.

I read these airline lifestyle comments and I wonder how bad retention would be if Delta took out an ad in AF Times showing a pilot sitting at his pool with a Porsche in the driveway.

I'm amazed retention is as good as it is personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 11

3 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Unfortunately, as that PhD Capt's paper pointed out, this only applies in the AF if you're on staff when you meet your O-5 IPZ Board.

Actually, most of the non-promotes I know are/were on staff when the board met...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

IMG_0021.jpg

• Upvote 13

2 hours ago, di1630 said:

I read these airline lifestyle comments and I wonder how bad retention would be if Delta took out an ad in AF Times showing a pilot sitting at his pool with a Porsche in the driveway.

I'm amazed retention is as good as it is personally.

Haha!  This is 100% accurate for me actually, although I did buy the Porsche very used.  You forgot the part about "...and only working 13-14 days a month."

Shack on your retention and "not the same Air Force" comments.