What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

4 hours ago, Azimuth said:

Received this message via social media.  I guess it's big news?

"I had originally talked myself out of writing you altogether but after thinking about how quickly Big Blue turned on you... I've obviously rethought that. I work at AFLOA and you are the talk nearly daily. CSAF has been briefed. I can't help but sit on the sidelines and laugh at this shitshow. Thank you for sharing your story publicly. I hope you press full steam ahead with making as much noise about this as you can on the outside."

The AFLOA is the Air Force Legal Operations Agency.

Fire for effect and don't quit.  Good luck man.

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2017 at 7:51 PM, Justonethought said:

What exactly are the airlines investing in for the next 10-20 years?  In 10 years if they can replace an FO with an algorithm they will.  The plane itself is the investment in capital, not the control of the plane.  Do you use uber?  If you do, would you use it just as much when it shows up to your door without a person and ferries you off to your destination without a driver and at 1/4 the cost?  This is a sincerely honest series of questions.  Technology is shifting the landscape awfully quickly.

Back to this discussion:

Boeing Invests in AI startup

Edited by Weezer
Spelling

14 hours ago, Weezer said:

Back to this discussion:

Boening Invests in AI startup

If you're a pilot I wouldn't necessarily freak out.  Tech companies invest in ideas all the time - in this case, as the article states, if not necessarily to replace manned commercial airliners but to find "innovative solutions and ideas."

It's akin to a C-130 engineer or navigator freaking out in the 1980s when the first J model concept was researched.  30+ years later most of the total force 130 fleet  is still flying Hs.   Airliners are still flying 1960s airplanes.  I don't know many people alive that would get on an automated aircraft, maybe a generation or so from now 

I especially wouldn't freak out if you are an Air Force pilot.  Some of our mission sets are too dynamic to be automated (DACT/OCA/airdrop/low levels/etc.)

59 minutes ago, UltWarrior said:

So people are willing to buy a self driving car, but aren't willing to get on an airplane without a pilot? I raise the BS flag. If it makes tickets cheaper, people will fly on a plane with AI running the show because I would. Most of the time you don't even see the pilot when you board the aircraft anyway.

This argument again?

• Upvote 1

I especially wouldn't freak out if you are an Air Force pilot.  Some of our mission sets are too dynamic to be automated (DACT/OCA/airdrop/low levels/etc.)

I don't think the guys with most concern over this are Air Force guys. That phase has already happened and we live with it daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, GlassEmpty said:

I don't think the guys with most concern over this are Air Force guys. That phase has already happened and we live with it daily.

Or has it? Where do a good majority of Air Force pilots want to be in a few years? ;)

Edited by dream big

On 6/29/2017 at 0:25 PM, dream big said:

Or has it? Where do a good majority of Air Force pilots want to be in a few years? ;)

At ACSC, a Joint non-flying tour, the Pentagon, HAF tour, or better yet, Aide de Camp for some 4-star.  Isn't that what we all dream of?

/sarcasm off

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

So I know we got off the JQP hype-train a couple of years ago.

Yeah, because that site is so infested with ads and click-bait that it's unreadable!  I can't go to that site and stream pandora at the same time because it eats up so much bandwidth/processor/battery.  

• Upvote 1

Are people rally surprised anymore when we see that the system is set up to protect the system and Commanders within it, rather than ensure actual justice for the individual servicemember?

Seems to me we see this same fact presented over and over every time a new case like this pops up, and act shocked each time as if we didn't know.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

So I know we got off the JQP hype-train a couple of years ago.  But his latest one is pretty good and not to hyperbolic.

https://www.jqpublicblog.com/corruption-ranks-mcguire-ig-wrongly-dismisses-ncos-reprisal-complaint/

If someone here has some IG experience, please weigh in.  Because this one is baffling to me.

Wow, JQP's writing has become difficult to read.  That said, I would advise the complainant to review AFI 90-301, 6.6.2.3 (and sub-paragraphs).  I would also advise the complainant to consider contacting the DOD IG Hotline at http://www.dodig.mil/Hotline/, MAJCOM IG, or SAF/IGQ http://www.af.mil/Inspector-General-Complaints/ if he/she feels there is wrongdoing by the local IG office.

Edited by HU&W
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, HU&W said:

Wow, JQP's writing has become difficult to read.  That said, I would advise the complainant to review AFI 90-301, 6.6.2.3 (and sub-paragraphs).  I would also advise the complainant to consider contacting the DOD IG Hotline at http://www.dodig.mil/Hotline/, MAJCOM IG, or SAF/IGQ http://www.af.mil/Inspector-General-Complaints/ if he/she feels there is wrongdoing by the local IG office.

Even if you feel wronged, SAF/IG still "determines" if the complaint is valid for the MAJCOM/IG or even the local IG office to investigate and may possibly kick it down to them.

Wanna have a real IG? Take away local IG's because they're worthless. Consolidate all that manpower to the MAJCOM/IG or possibly SAF/IG to do inspections and complaints. Of course every Commander would shit their pants if HHQ IG came in to investigate a complaint instead of the worthless local IG, who's really just a watchdog for the Wing/CC.

Edited by Azimuth
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Azimuth said:

Even if you feel wronged, SAF/IG still "determines" if the complaint is valid for the MAJCOM/IG or even the local IG office to investigate and may possibly kick it down to them.

That is not exactly correct.  Complaints are definitely screened for frivolity, but a complaint against a local IG will never be transferred to that IG to self-investigate, in much the same way a local IG does not investigate a complaint against his/her wing commander boss.  

• Upvote 1

That is not exactly correct.  Complaints are definitely screened for frivolity, but a complaint against a local IG will never be transferred to that IG to self-investigate, in much the same way a local IG does not investigate a complaint against his/her wing commander boss.  

But they clearly are selected Bird-wannabes serving at the pleasure of the Almighty Wing King while all their year group brothers (and sisters for you PC folk) rock that pretty little wreath that's supposed to bare high regard. This hardly holds a fair shake for complaints against Sq Commanders on a base with only one airframe. It begs for a rewritten letter of the law have a justified review of indiscretions and a more robust legal system.

The systems broke my man.

So I know we got off the JQP hype-train a couple of years ago.  But his latest one is pretty good and not to hyperbolic.

https://www.jqpublicblog.com/corruption-ranks-mcguire-ig-wrongly-dismisses-ncos-reprisal-complaint/

If someone here has some IG experience, please weigh in.  Because this one is baffling to me.

Have been a NAF/IG but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and am trying to write a decent response as I eat breakfast.

There has to be more to the story since all reprisal complaints require a MAJCOM and SAF and DOD IG review and approval before being closed out.

JQP rails against the McGuire IG but doesn't take to task the DOD IG who would have needed to sign off on this before the complainant received his letter of dismissal? And I mean they read, re-read and buy all the logic of the response, etc and normally send it back for re-work multiple times. I'm not buying it. Maybe the local IG screwed up and gave this guy the letter before he was supposed to or he didn't follow the process. Or maybe there is more to this story than is published here. Either way, I would take my case up with DOD IG ( unless they were complicit) but definitely with my Congressman at this point, if the facts are as presented in the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

1 hour ago, Herk Driver said:

Have been a NAF/IG but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and am trying to write a decent response as I eat breakfast.

There has to be more to the story since all reprisal complaints require a MAJCOM and SAF and DOD IG review and approval before being closed out.

JQP rails against the McGuire IG but doesn't take to task the DOD IG who would have needed to sign off on this before the complainant received his letter of dismissal? And I mean they read, re-read and buy all the logic of the response, etc and normally send it's clear for re-work multiple times. I'm not buying it. Maybe the local IG screwed up and gave this guy the letter before he was supposed to or he didn't follow the process. Or maybe there is more to this story than is published here. Either way, I would take my case up with DOD IG ( unless they were complicit) but definitely with my Congressman at this point, if the facts are as presented in the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Wouldn't be the first time JQP jumped to a wrong conclusion and stuck with it. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Homestar said:

Wouldn't be the first time JQP jumped to a wrong conclusion and stuck with it. 

This is what I don't get with him.. He was my sq/cc and a fairly balanced guy in person.  For being Harvard-educated and a previous (successful) leader in the military, I'm surprised how closed minded he is to new information.  I've occasionally talked to people "in the know" on various bits he's written who have said they contacted him privately to say he was railing on the wrong guy/girl/office, but he wasn't interested in changing his tone or narrative.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MDDieselPilot said:

This is what I don't get with him.. He was my sq/cc and a fairly balanced guy in person.  For being Harvard-educated and a previous (successful) leader in the military, I'm surprised how closed minded he is to new information.  I've occasionally talked to people "in the know" on various bits he's written who have said they contacted him privately to say he was railing on the wrong guy/girl/office, but he wasn't interested in changing his tone or narrative.

Twoop

27 minutes ago, MDDieselPilot said:

Same.