What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

On 6/6/2017 at 3:16 PM, ThreeHoler said:

Went to write a retirement medal for a guy. The CC told me not to waste my time since the Wg/CC would never approve it for the guy who failed his final PT test.

I know another guy who failed a test once because he was dumb (follow up test a few days later >90). The Wg/CC wanted to deny his MSM for "not meeting standards during the period of the medal." Thankfully the Sq/CC won.

Our focus is so ed.

This is so messed up. The dude worked hard and sacrificed over 20 years, and somehow running 3 seconds too slow or doing one or two less push-ups cancels out all of that? This is why the AF deserves what is coming. I'll enjoy watching the disaster from my purple tailed jet. Good riddance.

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Really? How's that?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TPs (training periods) only pay out if you have a 781 against it (flight or sim). If your flight cancels, and your unit doesn't have a sim you can jump into, you don't get paid.

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

TPs (training periods) only pay out if you have a 781 against it (flight or sim). If your flight cancels, and your unit doesn't have a sim you can jump into, you don't get paid.

That sucks. So if you show up to fly and weather is awful and sims are booked... you don't get paid at all? 

Apologies for derailing this thread.

On 6/9/2017 at 10:46 AM, busdriver said:

I've been out of the shiny penny club for awhile now.  I only went to staff because I was literally the only person in the Air Force who could fill that billet, at that time.  I escaped and I work well over 40 hours a week, and the chance of me commanding a flying squadron is essentially zero.  I put in the time I do in the hope that I can make even a small difference to nudge my little corner of the AF in a better direction.  

Maybe I'm just too stupid to know better, maybe staff made me appreciate the small victories, I don't know.  I do know that perspectives change with time and experience, and I'll get to re-qual "soon," life is good.

How long have you been away from the RQS squadron for? Life is significantly different post-OEF....

Interesting. My unit does not operate like that.

If I show up, I get paid. There's always work to do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

If I show up, I get paid. There's always work to do.

This!  If I show up to the base, I'm getting paid.  If I work all day, it's two pay cards.  Getting paid has never been in my thought process when deciding whether to take a jet or not.  If it's a particularly bad month wrt to mx or wx cnx...well some months you just don't get your sorties.  

Edited by SocialD

On 6/7/2017 at 11:53 PM, FlyinGrunt said:

All those jokes about "AC pay" and "IP pay" . . . why not make those a thing?  Again, would target exactly the folks you're looking to retain, and would prob add up to the increased ACIP we're looking for.

This is a great point, while it is expected people upgrade and I understand that, adding an incentive pay for taking on additional responsibility (especially for upgrades like large package leads and WOs) could also help.

On 6/9/2017 at 7:23 PM, tcf5566 said:

This is so messed up. The dude worked hard and sacrificed over 20 years, and somehow running 3 seconds too slow or doing one or two less push-ups cancels out all of that? This is why the AF deserves what is coming. I'll enjoy watching the disaster from my purple tailed jet. Good riddance.

How much effort does it require to pass a fitness test? Not much.

No officer should ever fail a fitness test.

• Upvote 3

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:32 AM, tac airlifter said:

It took me a bit to digest your post, which I've truncated above, probably because I was imprecise in my original statement.  

To answer the bolded section directly, which applies to my post, I'll say: yes.  I'm going to shit on the guy in the SQ that wants to show up and just fly..... because in MY mission set, you can't be good if you just show up to fly.  TTPs, ours and enemy, change too fast.  Technology changes.  AORs change.  Users change.  If you aren't being assertive about keeping up, you're getting left behind which makes your presence on the crew a liability.  And all the extra study happens on the ground, in the SQ, not while flying.

When a dude says "I just want to fly" if he means 'I just want to do the flying mission' (which requires extra ground work) then let him!  Become an expert, we need it!  However, if he honestly means 'I just want to fly' and has no patience for the non-flight ground duties essential to refining flight skills (he's not showing up for a weekly tactics test or doesn't know the newest software, etc) then he's not the guy I want staying on the line for a career.  And there are lazy pilots masquerading as line dogs, who have lost the hunger to excel, and should be purged from units incompatible with their loss of drive.  Not a lot, but some, and my comments were directed only at them.

as to your opening remark about money, no, it's not about money to me.  I got paid enough as a major and loved being an EP & ADO, I didn't need more money to put in extra hours.  I loved it.  Still do.  Now I hate my life and job and wouldn't continue if they offered me quadruple pay.  But we're all different, and my answer is not indicative of a trend.

I also could of framed the post a little better, but I agree with you.   Believe it or not, my mission set is much the same and flying two instruction flights a week (which is the norm for me and most IP/EP home station) takes up a majority of a 40 hour work week.  I actually love it and am still doing it.  I was within two years and turned down the staff gig... because less/no flying and more non flying paperwork doesn't sound appeasing. 

Although, I think staying in the squadron wouldn't even be enough for me (bonus or no bonus), as most weeks turn into 50-60 hours.  Air Force has to fix that.  When you deploy/TDY someone for half of a year most will be unwilling to deal with 50-60 hour weeks.  Choice is easy... flying in sqdn with long weeks and deployments, staff with no flying but maybe steady/predictable day job, or get out when companies are paying well....

3 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

How much effort does it require to pass a fitness test? Not much.

So true.

A few years ago, I did my fitness test one month before I turned 50.  My good friend who is 47 was in my group, plus 7 others.  Of those 7, one was in his 30's and the rest were young Airmen in the 20's.  

I finished first in the 1.5 mile run, followed by my friend about 25" behind me.  The two of us stood by the finish line and yelled "old guys rule!!" to the rest of the runners as they went by.  It was pathetic to watch the ones in their early 20's struggling to make it 6 laps.  They should be in great shape, and certainly good enough to beat a 50 year old Lt Col with an artificial hip.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

Please. Pretty sure you've never had to take our PT test.
#CheckYourGruntPrivilege

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic which I can appreciate.

Edited by VMFA187
  • Upvote 3

I'm in my early 30s, if you are in somewhat decent shape it's easy to pass.  Getting a 90 (what I shoot for so I don't have to take it in a year) takes some effort due to the run and giving up beer a few weeks before but doable.  I can't run an 8 minute mile and a half anymore and I prefer to focus on lifting weights which is arguably a much better workout then being able to run.  

Airmen in their early 20s have zero excuse to fail it! I find it pathetic that guys have to bring their colleagues to "cheer them on", for f**** sake this is why the marines and army shit on us.

That being said, I think we put way too much focus on the PT test.  As long as guys are passing commanders should focus on other things, like taking care of their people and making sure the mission is getting done.  Morale runs?! I'm not taking part in your flamboyant fun run. 

• Upvote 1

Hey look, the USAF brass is trying to hide their efforts to get rid of the A-10 again.
https://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/06/09/air-force-mulls-cutting-three-a-10-squadrons/?ESRC=airforce-a_170614

What's the definition of insanity again?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 1