What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

6 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

That email has to a joke, especially starting out with some E-9-esque phrase "XXXX Heroes"

Edit: If it was Queep Heroes, I'll allow it.

I've had to deal with this...it's not a joke.  Had flashbacks just reading about "straight" quotation marks... UGH.

15 hours ago, Homestar said:

I guess I'll put this here:

Appealing to pilots while wearing ABUs, sounds petty but when you're facing a national crisis every piece of the message matters.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Appealing to pilots while wearing ABUs, sounds petty but when you're facing a national crisis every piece of the message matters.

Wow.. as a ABU flunkie I thought exactly the same thing.  I'm not surprised the AF can't get Strategic Messaging right, I'm just surprised they've gotten it this wrong for this long.  I mean, is there no one around (pilot/prior-E DGAF officer) to point out the stupid shit that gives people Forest Whitaker eye:

0wlDdXD.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 17D_guy said:

Wow.. as a ABU flunkie I thought exactly the same thing.  I'm not surprised the AF can't get Strategic Messaging right, I'm just surprised they've gotten it this wrong for this long.  I mean, is there no one around (pilot/prior-E DGAF officer) to point out the stupid shit that gives people Forest Whitaker eye:

0wlDdXD.jpg

No, there is no one around upper management that doesn't wear knee pads and can say no. 

I've seen the same thing repeated elsewhere on several pilot social media pages or by friends. Homestar copy shot with the maintainers but that bring us right back to the issue we all hear about with wearing ABUs to "fit in" with the rest of the AF. When the highest ranking pilot in AMC won't put on a flight suit to address his pilots, what does that convey to those who are fed up with an institution that doesn't value their skills and training?

20 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Strange choice.  

I know what would have happened on the jet if someone hit my beloved across the face with a stroller while holding my rugrat. Eye witnesses accounts would say everything went black for a minute and the whole crew was stacked over each other on the beverage cart when the dust settled.
Are the pilots at the airlines not taught how to deescalate a situation? That pilot wasn't prior Air Force.

394de4bde48339c4b2a5acda59bedf2e.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:59 PM, Homestar said:

Southwest calls AMC's bluff just weeks before the big meeting?

1,000 hours PIC *preferrered*

18010412_10206824775138143_2680724421016

Only one data point but I know at least one SWA pilot with more I hear about second hand bail for other airlines due to better upward mobility. Stagnation in the seniority list at SWA has caused some to re-think career progression.

Well the wife and I have talked and when my commitment is up I'm going to become a homemaker and support her career.  My wife's job is super important and she works long hours with others so I'm going to start a club for the other husbands to have get togethers and build up the spouses network.  Granted she teleworks so all of our meetings (and kids play dates) will have to be over Skype but with all the things going on in the world I think there should be a better support network for her coworkers dependents.  Her job keeps her so busy and now that we have kids someone has to sacrifice their career,  she may be going overseas next year for six months or so as well to manage stocking toilet paper in the Doha office even though she works in the medical field.  Maybe if we're lucky while she's gone, I can volunteer to help set her up for success and get her more face time with her boss and maybe help her get her next promotion.  I think she's going to volunteer to coordinate the company gift exchange this year so my plate is going to be FULL over the coming months in preparation.  I also heard there is a program to be a prime spouse (it requires a week of mandatory training and being on call one week a month), I may try that as well.  What do you all think?

Now imagine if I were being serious you would think I was crazy.  Why do we do this to ourselves?

• Upvote 10

Chang, don't know if you are reading this, nor who you are.  But let it be known that almost every one of my peers plus 3-4 peer groups below me are talking about the airlines and at least going guard/reserves.  LTs are already talking about it.  You guys are in deep deep trouble and let it be known that you guys did this to yourselves.  

A few years ago, when people asked about these issues and the pilot shortage at large we were laughed at, told to stop complaining, etc.  Now look where we are: 4 star generals going to the airlines with their tails between their legs while the airlines laugh at us.

Fortunately for the sake of the country, many of my peers will continue to serve in the guard and reserves; do the same effing job as active duty minus a lot of the PC crap that has tainted our armed forces.  Were Rainman here on these forums today he would disagree, but at the end of the day, those in the guard and reserves provide the same product to national security.  Active duty is not any mightier or worthier.

We love this country and love putting on the bag to go "hack the mish," just not on active duty's terms because senior "leadership" has decimated the patriotism, drive and morale of those bright eyed kids wanting to fly fight and win.

• Upvote 2

Active duty is not any mightier or worthier.

I'll be the first to agree that AD is not any worthier or mightier. That said, I imagine in most flying communities AD provides better cost effectiveness for Big Blue. AD and ARC have similar training costs to keep a pilot current and qualified. AD gets 365-days of utilization for this bill (or 180 if they send you on a bullshit deployment where you see how incompetent the Army actually is...I digress). On the ARC side, they may not get much in the way of actual mission execution (unless the ARC mobilizers) in exchange for keeping members current and qualified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk