What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

2 minutes ago, Prozac said:

I think you make some good points but you are off in your assessment that it should no longer fall on the United States to promote freedom around the world. Yes, the last two decades of open ended conflict has been ill conceived and is unsustainable. However, there are avenues other than military force to promote our values worldwide. When we do use force, it has to be with a well defined endgame and we must resist the temptation to expand on the goals of the original mission. None of this means that we should back away from a preeminent role in world affairs. Quite the contrary. China and Russia are licking their chops right now. There was news recently that the two countries have been holding high level meetings. What do you suppose they are discussing? This is their Yalta moment. They are planning what they'd like the post Pax Americana world to look like. My fear is that we have been slowly compromising our position in the world since shortly after the wall fell. Rather than reversing that trend, Trump looks to be accelerating it. To those who say our strategy has been less than successful in the post war world I have a question: Do you think major global conflict (probably nuclear) would have been more likely or less likely in the last 70 years without American leadership?

I'm all for using our influence culturally, diplomatically, and economically to promote freedom around the world.  This idea that we're going to invade third-world hell-holes and shape them into industrialized Western democracies has got to stop, though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kiloalpha said:

Finally got around to watching this. Good share, it's incredibly relevant to today.

Yup, it's really a good movie, particularly Shatner's speech at the 45 minute mark.  

A pretty good explanation on how we rationalize tolerating the injustices we encounter in systems where people misuse their power. 

• Upvote 1

Thankfully the 3-stars are all over the important shit going on in today's Air Force.

Meanwhile at the squadron level... the experienced guys/gals are racing out the door so fast it makes your head spin.

WAKE THE FUCK UP, GENERAL NOWLAND!

• Downvote 4

35 minutes ago, FUSEPLUG said:

Thankfully the 3-stars are all over the important shit going on in today's Air Force.

Meanwhile at the squadron level... the experienced guys/gals are racing out the door so fast it makes your head spin.

Dude, it's a step in the right direction.  I'll take it.  It won't solve all the problems, but it's a damned easy kill and serves to boost the morale a little bit, so let's take it in the spirit in which it was intended and build on this victory to try to get our morale patches back.

• Upvote 7

Dude, it's a step in the right direction.  I'll take it.  It won't solve all the problems, but it's a damned easy kill and serves to boost the morale a little bit, so let's take it in the spirit in which it was intended and build on this victory to try to get our morale patches back.

Exactly. Being angry at those trying to affect positive change fuels the liquids of the AF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger.

Well then I'm glad you guys got your memo granting permission to wear your flight suit how you like. Make sure you print that out and carry it in your pocket just in case someone decides to call you out. 

I agree with you guys, no point in being angry, but this memo is just another sign that the focus at the top continues to be on things that don't matter. If this memo is the trigger that keeps a guy in until 20 instead of going to work for Delta, then you're right - it's a step in the right direction.   

1 hour ago, FUSEPLUG said:

I think you might want to hold fire for now.  From what I've been told, this was the result of a face to face discussion with guys at WEPTAC and was an answer to the question "what can we do that's an easy kill right now".  This was a topic apparently brought up among many others and was addressed by HAF in about a 2 week period.  Is it going to solve the problem?  No.  Does it remove a stupid restriction to the wear of the bag?  Yes.  

• Upvote 1

So all it takes is a dire threat to the basic manning and viability of our fighter force to get logical, easy policy changes implemented? As soon as this crisis is over, I expect the shenanigans to continue. That memo will be rescinded in a heartbeat.

WAKE THE UP, GENERAL NOWLAND!

Un-ing real. Do us all a favor and keep this shit to yourself. Are you related to the guy who thinks all business negotiations are rational?

This is not how we win the battle, boys and girls. If your wife starts wearing lingerie at night, you don't spit in her face, tell her to put on sweat pants and get a better-paying job.

You take the win, say thank you, shake hands, then immediately start pressing for the next win.
  • Upvote 7

I'm caught between the "nice job USAF" on letting me roll up my sleeves and the "YGBSM....the fact I need a memo approving it" in the first place to show how f'd up our priorities have gotten.

Personally, ever since I realized the USAF needs me more than I need it. I've been rolling up my sleeves, zipper down, morale tab tab on, embroidered shirt exposed, sunglasses on my cranium, baseball cap with flag anyway while deployed. Nobody has said sh-t.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, di1630 said:

Personally, ever since I realized the USAF needs me more than I need it. I've been rolling up my sleeves, zipper down, morale tab tab on, embroidered shirt exposed, sunglasses on my cranium, baseball cap with flag anyway while deployed. Nobody has said sh-t.

I'd be careful, all it takes is a market correction for the Air Force to be okay with manning and you needing a job... I'm hoping we don't see that until I get my line number and some seniority but you never know...

Bashi, I see the part you're talking about, but if you read on you'll see the part about the 2011 phaseout.  Whoever wrote (read: copy/paste/don't change) this didn't do a good job of attention to detail.  I'm sure they'll fix the glitch after someone tries a little throwback thursday action.

Not that I give 2 fvcks about the Shoe Clerk Vol 3, but I like all my sh1tstorms the be caused intentionally, not through misreading some reg.

I'd be careful, all it takes is a market correction for the Air Force to be okay with manning and you needing a job... I'm hoping we don't see that until I get my line number and some seniority but you never know...

It's time for pilots to take back the USAF. I get it, 6-9 years back when we were scared of pissing someone off and getting an RPA or RIF, we bowed to the chiefs and spineless leaders.

You are setting an example for the young airmen just by being a pilot. Pilots should have status, status should have privileges.

Don't be an ass, don't be a clown with your superiority but accept it, you are at the top of the food chain, act like it, be proud of your work that got you there.

Don't let some jealous nonner shoe clerk pilot-wannabe strip you of it.....especially in times like this where you are finally being acknowledged as an asset.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 4