What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

All of the talk of increasing 11F production, just to make sure that 11F staff billets are filled, reminded me of this blog post from a couple years ago.  I feel like the whole damn defense apparatus of the country is somewhere between "Bloat" and full-on "Failure/Implosion."

http://www.oftwominds.com/blogdec10/lifecycle-bureaucracy12-10.html

"Tip of the spear" military forces and readiness are left twisting in the wind while the thousands of senior officers in the Pentagon and Services jostle for promotions. At the point of implosion, there are more captains, colonels and generals than actual war-fighters. (There are plenty of barbers, cooks, waiters and assistants, though, to serve the senior officers.)

Benefits for the survivors are left basically untouched while new hires are fired to preserve the budget for those with seniority.

At some point, the mission of the bureaucracy is completely lost, and the citizens' patience with institutional incompetence and self-aggrandizement finally runs out.

lifecycle-bureaucracy.png

• Upvote 7

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:25 AM, pcola said:

Awesome that it was written by a former SECNAV

Dr. Lehman was the 65th Secretary of the Navy and a member of the 9/11 Commission.

More importantly than SECNAV...Dr. Lehman was a Reserve A-6 Intruder B/N (Bombardier/Navigator) and continued to fly out of NAS Oceana even during his days as SECNAV. 

He was a little before my time...but from what I heard around the squadron spaces, he was popular...had his issues and distractions, but was a pretty effective SECNAV during one of the largest peacetime build ups of our nations military (the 80's).   

Here is a little taste of what I mean:

Posted by aaron on February 19, 2008

Got this kickass story from Gunner
John Lehman was the US Secretary of the Navy from 1981 to 1987. He was also in a rather unique position being an active Navy Reserve flier as a Bombadier-Navigator on the A-6 Intruder. In the rank of Commander, he certainly was nowhere near the highest ranking officer where ever he went. However, as Secretary of the Navy he established Naval policy, sat at the very top of the Navy chain-of-command and every Admiral in the Navy answered to him. Never the less, when we put on the Navy uniform, he was just another Commander.
 Lehman typically would do his required Navy Reserve training at NAS Oceana, not far from his Secretary’s offices in Washington DC. He enjoyed talking with the guys in the back bar at the club. On one such night the Base CO, Dynamite, walked in, spotted Lehman and walked over to apologize along the lines of "Mr. Secretary, I’m sorry, my staff didn't tell me you were aboard the station." Lehman said "That's OK Skipper, I'm just here as a weekend warrior bagging some flight time." Cramer replied, "OK Commander, then get a f*cking haircut and be in my office at 0800!"
 Lehman immediately walked across the street to the BOQ barbershop!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Duck said:

Without sounding melodramatic, it can only get better.

You're new here, aren't you...?    : -)

It can, most likely will, get worse.  The U.S. guv'mint is broke and deeply in debt.  DoD, like many times in the past here, and like the MODs of allies/foreigners, is seen as a easy way to cut spending without pissing off a lot of voters.

Then when we are in bad shape, something in the world goes pear-shaped and those who hung on will get thrown into a fight we aren't ready for and can't sustain at first.

Those who are bailing need to ensure they are free and clear of the IRR as well 'cuz that option is still on the books.

Just sayin' if they'll stop-loss without a national emergency which they've done, imagine what a real threat will mean.

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't officers subject to recall until age 60?  I'd estimate that the membership of this forum is greater than 90% commissioned.  Sure they'll call back IRR dudes first, but short of achieving eligibility to draw Social Security there aren't many techniques for getting well clear.  You could do something that prevented you from getting/keeping a clearance or destroy your health, but for most on these boards the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze.

5 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't officers subject to recall until age 60?  I'd estimate that the membership of this forum is greater than 90% commissioned.  Sure they'll call back IRR dudes first, but short of achieving eligibility to draw Social Security there aren't many techniques for getting well clear.  You could do something that prevented you from getting/keeping a clearance or destroy your health, but for most on these boards the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze.

Don't know if that's true or not, but we'd be in serious trouble to have to recall a bunch of 58-59 year olds that separated two decades prior as majors.   

8 hours ago, ARAMP1 said:

Don't know if that's true or not, but we'd be in serious trouble to have to recall a bunch of 58-59 year olds that separated two decades prior as majors.   

I'll give you three guesses as to how well I would perform in requal if you called me back a decade after my retirement date.

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

I'll give you three guesses as to how well I would perform in requal if you called me back a decade after my retirement date.

based on what I've seen over the years you'd get stuck in some sh!t detail out of spite nowhere near any job you would want.....so  the next guy they recalled would play ball.....because that is how they roll no matter what branch you're in

Anyone think they will try to retain via bonus guys jumping ship at 20? Has it been done in the past?

I might be willing to stay a few more years to keep flying an FTU gig for some extra cash. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Sometime in the 90's there was a bonus to 25 years of aviation service. Or something like that.

On 9/11/2016 at 10:37 AM, fire4effect said:

based on what I've seen over the years you'd get stuck in some sh!t detail out of spite nowhere near any job you would want.....so  the next guy they recalled would play ball.....because that is how they roll no matter what branch you're in

Yup, Holloman Services Sq needs a basketball control officer at the youth center!  Oh, then there's OIC of Short Arm Inspection Section at Diego.... I'm sure the list goes on and on....   

On September 11, 2016 at 10:22 AM, di1630 said:

Anyone think they will try to retain via bonus guys jumping ship at 20? Has it been done in the past?

I might be willing to stay a few more years to keep flying an FTU gig for some extra cash. Thoughts?

Just join the Guard/Reserves. Get paid to do the same thing with a lot less hassle and get a signing bonus on top of it. Then go part time FTMFW

On 9/12/2016 at 3:34 PM, Stitch said:

Yup, Holloman Services Sq needs a basketball control officer at the youth center!  Oh, then there's OIC of Short Arm Inspection Section at Diego.... I'm sure the list goes on and on....   

Again, if they're willing to pay me to show up and do a less than half-hearted job, that's fine with me.  

On August 7, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Lord Ratner said:

Wanna help? I'm at sos now and we're doing the "think tank" on that very letter. Think tank sounds lame, I know, but they have at least given us free reign to design the process. I set up a Reddit page for people to add ideas and vote on others. The more we get, the better. You'll need a Reddit account, but if you're like me and have been bitching about this topic for years, this is a way to be heard. Anyone here who knows me knows I won't sugar coat the feedback for staff officer consumption, and we are presenting the info to at least two generals at the end of the month.

https://www.Reddit.com/r/SquadronFocus

Please at least go and vote on all the ideas in there. Thanks,

Seth

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Any update on this???  How the presentation to the generals at the end of the month go?  Did you guys get any additional feedback??  

On 9/11/2016 at 10:22 AM, di1630 said:

Setting the bar a bit low aren't we?

Setting the bar a bit low aren't we?

If I could park at an FTU and avoid any 179/365, pull O-5 pay plus another (higher) bonus, I'd be tempted.

Easy flying(relatively) and once you stop playing the USAF game ie. do zero effort to get promoted, win awards or go to school, break it down and it's good pay to fly.

Think about it, you take away the BS competition for strats (to get a good OPR, good OG rack and stack for assignment or school push), what are you left with.....flying and an additional duty which should be simple task delegation and decision making.

Most additional duties at the O-5 level can be cut huge if you are willing to actually be a leader, stop looking for your bosses approval sack-up and stand up to the system as the USAF needs (because you don't care about the aforementioned career stuff).

AWC via correspondence......F-no. I'd rather watch hours of "my little pony" with my 3 yr old than waste 1/69th of a second on that crap.

When I hit my ADSC, I'll see what big blue has to offer. If I don't like it, I'll walk. Simple.

It's just a job and I was told by someone from Randolph that with the 11F shortage, O-5's are going to have to fly like they are O-3's......I'm happy to oblige.

1 hour ago, di1630 said:

If I could park at an FTU and avoid any 179/365, pull O-5 pay plus another (higher) bonus, I'd be tempted.

Easy flying(relatively) and once you stop playing the USAF game ie. do zero effort to get promoted, win awards or go to school, break it down and it's good pay to fly.

Think about it, you take away the BS competition for strats (to get a good OPR, good OG rack and stack for assignment or school push), what are you left with.....flying and an additional duty which should be simple task delegation and decision making.

Most additional duties at the O-5 level can be cut huge if you are willing to actually be a leader, stop looking for your bosses approval sack-up and stand up to the system as the USAF needs (because you don't care about the aforementioned career stuff).

AWC via correspondence......F-no. I'd rather watch hours of "my little pony" with my 3 yr old than waste 1/69th of a second on that crap.

When I hit my ADSC, I'll see what big blue has to offer. If I don't like it, I'll walk. Simple.

It's just a job and I was told by someone from Randolph that with the 11F shortage, O-5's are going to have to fly like they are O-3's......I'm happy to oblige.

You know that permanent O-5 FTU gig exists in the Guard right? 

You know that permanent O-5 FTU gig exists in the Guard right? 

If guard will take me part-time at 20 I will but for me AD is just about options.

I'm setting up my part-time side operation so the pension at 42 fits my plans. In 4 yrs I'll have my pension, side income and if I want to do airlines, I can with no issues but a job I hate won't be a necessity and there will be zero pressure financially to take a gig with a company or location I don't want.

Guard beats AD 96.69% of the time. For me, AD is best, and I have had/am having a blast but I've been fortunate with luck/timing. Just need to ensure my last PCS is decent but a lot of my competition is quitting so the USAF sh-tshow is benefitting a few lucky players.

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Further proof of how broken the Air Force is... http://www.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/960240/general-officer-announcement

Try to destroy people based on a text....have it overturned and STILL make GO. 

Baba Rand continues to disappoint. 

Baba Rand's underling are truly setting him up for failure. Haven't quite figured out if it's a GSC culture issue, an O-5+ officer careerism issue, or both.