What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Got an interesting AMS Mail Robot e-mail for an Exec position. 

A couple of things jumped out at me:

So it looks like CSAF has a staff quota for stressed MWSs.  Good if you want to stay away from staff, but potentially bad as your community might be underrepresented in key staff billets.  I don't recall seeing "IDE select" in the past (maybe I just didn't pay enough attention).  It is only "desired" (for now), but I see it as the Big Blue doubling down on the "Golden Child/Chosen One" program.  Perhaps more senior folks on the board can better interpret this desired qual.

There has been a rated staff allocation plan for as long as I can remember. It may have changed over the years but it has existed.

Have seen the IDE select thing has been on some positions in the past as well. Call it doubling down if you want. I won't argue that point but there is not very much new here.

There has been a rated staff allocation plan for as long as I can remember. It may have changed over the years but it has existed.

Have seen the IDE select thing has been on some positions in the past as well. Call it doubling down if you want. I won't argue that point but there is not very much new here.

Learned something new today.  Thanks for the education!

Got an interesting AMS Mail Robot e-mail for an Exec position. 

A couple of things jumped out at me:

So it looks like CSAF has a staff quota for stressed MWSs.  Good if you want to stay away from staff, but potentially bad as your community might be underrepresented in key staff billets.  I don't recall seeing "IDE select" in the past (maybe I just didn't pay enough attention).  It is only "desired" (for now), but I see it as the Big Blue doubling down on the "Golden Child/Chosen One" program.  Perhaps more senior folks on the board can better interpret this desired qual.

Is it easier to grant IDE credit for equivalency if you are already a select?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree 100%, for maintainers 12+ hour days are the norm.  Don't even ask for time away to go to the gym, CBPO (ahem... MPF), Finance, BX, Class VI, your kid being born, etc...  Had my ass handed to me once by my flight chief for letting a dorm guy go to the Post Office prior to a 30+ day TDY to pick up a package that had been there over a month.  Couldn't go during "normal" hours; had report to work a good two hours before PO opened, went home well after it's closed.  Thank God for the flightline chow hall, such as it was; if it wasn't for that, NONE of dorm rats would have hot meals Mon-Fri.        

• Upvote 2

This guy could get 100+ years in prison.  

I guess it is way worse than what Bergdahl did...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/5/aaron-allmon-case-makes-minot-air-force-base-groun/?page=2

We are quite successfully criminalizing human interaction.

On the flip side, this shows that SAPR training works in some respects. Teach a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds that uncomfortable, unpleasant, or unwanted interactions are actually "violence" and "assault," and they will believe it. The pendulum is already swinging the other way in the college world, the military should follow soon enough.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think the most telling part of that article is the woman "realizing" that the behavior talked about in the SAPR brief matched his actions and then pressing charges. If you have to go to a class and be told that you were "assaulted" for you to notice it then you most definitely weren't actually assaulted.

• Upvote 12

Because the rejoicing about Blues Monday must have happened while these 2 were deployed and fighting the war.

http://www.jointbasemdl.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123463377

Ugh.  Welsh gets one thing right during his tenure as CSAF and these dudes manage to mess it up.  I can't egress this clownshow fast enough.  Even from 2000 miles away I can see the grubby fingerprints of underemployed E-9s all over this one.

Ugh.  Welsh gets one thing right during his tenure as CSAF and these dudes manage to mess it up.  I can't egress this clownshow fast enough.  Even from 2000 miles away I can see the grubby fingerprints of underemployed E-9s all over this one.

For some reason the Chief's E9's quote in the whole thing pisses me off more than anything else.

Somehow the ABU doesn't remind me that I'm part of something bigger, despite it being 75% as uncomfortable as blues.  Or a tradition that lasted for only 4 years, that was tossed with much fanfare and relief, was something that we should harken back to like "the good ole' days."

I'm getting tired of E9's thinking they're a step above their other enlisted brethren and forgetting that they're in place to provide council and feedback.  No to nod endlessly at every drop of feces coming out of leadership good-idea hole. 

Just give us back fatigues so we can look kinda nice, and kinda like we're in the military.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who believes our cheap blues represent "heritage and tradition" to an extent we warrant forced wear haven't been outside their cubicle at shoe palace, ever (said cubicle is shipped to the Deid for them to get "their combat time.")  How do "combat utility" uniforms not significantly outweigh blues when it comes to accomplishments throughout history and spawning of tradition?  I think we should all have to paint our faces black during black history month, you know, to really help our heritage sink in.  Dammit, I just gave some E-9 a great idea and EPR bullet.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 1

I support any effort that makes nonners easily discernible from operators. I will say that if the day comes when the SARC shows up 5 days a week/6 hours a day in their blues, I will take a small moment of reflection to appreciate the heritage of the uniform while I roll my sleeves up and notch my flight cap..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

They found the only thing worse than putting a navigator in charge of things, a total shoe clerk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

First thought: Hey, fuck you.

Second thought:  I've had some downright terrible nav CC's...

Edited by Toasty
  • Upvote 3

Anyone who believes our cheap blues represent "heritage and tradition" to an extent we warrant forced wear haven't been outside their cubicle at shoe palace, ever (said cubicle is shipped to the Deid for them to get "their combat time.")  How do "combat utility" uniforms not significantly outweigh blues when it comes to accomplishments throughout history and spawning of tradition?  I think we should all have to paint our faces black during black history month, you know, to really help our heritage sink in.  Dammit, I just gave some E-9 a great idea and EPR bullet.

Wearing blues isn't enough. I think we need more. Mess Dress Mondays, is where it should be.

Clothing Sales at the BX needs the business.....

• Upvote 2

I'm leaving my current assignment at DLI for greener pastures, but let me relay to you bros the uniform policy I've been following for the last year:

Mon:   ABUs

Tue:   Flight Suit

Wed:   ABUs

Thur:   Blues

Fri:     Flight Suit

Why?  I have no fucking idea.  Any complaints about wearing a different uniform every day of the week have been met with: "Well, you don't HAVE to wear the FDU on T/F, so you can just wear ABUs instead and have some consistency."

Only justification offered:  "It's an Air Force uniform you are required to have, so why not wear it."   I countered with: "Well, I'm required to have a Mess Dress too.  When are we going to start doing Mess Dress Mondays?"

As an aside:  Avoid DLI if you can, especially the 314TRS.  Go to DLI-East if you have the option.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...