What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Military Career Decision Survey

It's probably the best and most honest survey I've seen during my time in the AF. I did my part in letting the AF know how I feel. I hope everyone else takes the time to do the same.

Agreed.

As someone who could have applied to VSP last year and turned down the bonus this year to separate, I did my part to let them know it's not about the money or size of the bonus.

I did find interesting all the questions regarding the 15 year pilot training commitment. Personally, I think it's BS, but I probably would have signed it in ROTC not knowing what I know now.

• Upvote 1

The next HAF/A3 will be the first non-rated ops chief for the Air Force. Thoughts? Does it matter what the A3's background is? As a space guy, I'm happy. I imagine there are some aircrew in the Pentagon that are not as thrilled.

New A3

Gen Raymond Bio

1984 Bachelor of Science degree in administrative management, Clemson University, S.C.

BS in Administrative Management? That's a thing?

The next HAF/A3 will be the first non-rated ops chief for the Air Force. Thoughts? Does it matter what the A3's background is? As a space guy, I'm happy. I imagine there are some aircrew in the Pentagon that are not as thrilled.

New A3

Gen Raymond Bio

I think it shows the AF's evolution from Nuke Bomber Command to the 21st Century and the strategic importance of Space (and Cyber soon too)

• Upvote 1

New A3

Gen Raymond Bio

Be careful what you wish for. Alot uf us were excited about Norton Schwartz because he represented a break with the fighter mafia ...

I'm happy with good leadership and am mostly indifferent to AFSC.

• Upvote 8

I think it shows the AF's evolution from Nuke Bomber Command to the 21st Century and the strategic importance of Space (and Cyber soon too)

Does this mean we get a cyber guy in charge of 24AF soon?

And.. nope. CC's a space guy, Vice is a Pilot, and Chief's career Intel. Some day we'll get to play at the big kids table.

Also, the 24AF page has a "Space" section. It's like they're not even trying.

Does this mean we get a cyber guy in charge of 24AF ?

"Soon" in a bureaucratic sense means "at a glacial pace". You might see a 3 or 4-star from cyber before you're dead. How long have ICBMs/Space been a part of the AF?

"Soon" in a bureaucratic sense means "at a glacial pace". You might see a 3 or 4-star from cyber before you're dead. How long have ICBMs/Space been a part of the AF?

Well AFSPC has a Space guy in charge.

AFGSC has a bomber in charge w/ a missile dude as vice.

8th AF has 2 pilots. 20th AF has a missile dude and a... Spec Ops dude.

Then one day, a cyber guy will be in charge, signalling the end of the Space Mafia reign.
  • Upvote 1

Not to poke the bear, but what 3-4 star at this point in time grew up in the cyber world, or has any more sage experience to offer in it than if they were 'operational' from the beginning?

If you could find a Cyber 3 or 4 star, please let me know.

ANG is worried. They have cyber smart LT Cols and below. There are a few o-6s that get it but almost no Generals, and little opportunity for those o-6s to move up. That is why the ANG is trying to stand up some Cyber Ops Groups. They need some Generals who get it.

ANG is worried. They have cyber smart LT Cols and below. There are a few o-6s that get it but almost no Generals, and little opportunity for those o-6s to move up. That is why the ANG is trying to stand up some Cyber Ops Groups. They need some Generals who get it.

Exactly this. I think there's one career Cyber 2-star and a few 1-stars. That's just.. baffling to me given the "IT Innovations" and push in the Cyber realm we've had for over 6 years now. Yes.. there are some awful O5/6's in Cyber. Some that don't get it, some that think tech for tech is a good thing, some that think Cyber is the mission in flying wings, and some overly focused on metrics or building that after-the-AF consulting gig.

But there's some that get it. Yet we're still stuck here.. waiting for them to percolate through the system, through the boxes, and "grooming." Meanwhile.. there's a legit fight, (I hate classifying it as a war), taking place in Cyber.

Note - I'll never be one of these guys. The AF has made it plainly clear I'm too old (35, 16 yrs TAFMS). Pretty much any prior-E for Cyber isn't going to be in the pipe for the leadership track give the <9 years service & Capt pinned-on requirement for our WIC and NSA partner programs. Additionally, we're still stuck in the "must have a STEM degree for Cyber" nonsense.

Which is just.. frustrating. All I want to do is build this corps and culture and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be locked out of that.

But - timing, luck and lack of justice prevail as always. I'm proud of how far we've come given the massive hurdles we put in our own way.

Have a good 4th you Glorious bastards.

Edit: Wanted to add the power of Cyber made this possible at our last Wing CC Call - the best question (also on Reddit)

lY7RCQa.jpg

Edited by 17D_guy

New A3

Gen Raymond Bio

Unless something has changed since I retired, someone awarded a missile badge is rated.

Regards, RF

Exactly this. I think there's one career Cyber 2-star and a few 1-stars. That's just.. baffling to me given the "IT Innovations" and push in the Cyber realm we've had for over 6 years now. Yes.. there are some awful O5/6's in Cyber. Some that don't get it, some that think tech for tech is a good thing, some that think Cyber is the mission in flying wings, and some overly focused on metrics or building that after-the-AF consulting gig.

But there's some that get it. Yet we're still stuck here.. waiting for them to percolate through the system, through the boxes, and "grooming." Meanwhile.. there's a legit fight, (I hate classifying it as a war), taking place in Cyber.

Note - I'll never be one of these guys. The AF has made it plainly clear I'm too old (35, 16 yrs TAFMS). Pretty much any prior-E for Cyber isn't going to be in the pipe for the leadership track give the <9 years service & Capt pinned-on requirement for our WIC and NSA partner programs. Additionally, we're still stuck in the "must have a STEM degree for Cyber" nonsense.

Which is just.. frustrating. All I want to do is build this corps and culture and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be locked out of that.

But - timing, luck and lack of justice prevail as always. I'm proud of how far we've come given the massive hurdles we put in our own way.

Have a good 4th you Glorious bastards.

Edit: Wanted to add the power of Cyber made this possible at our last Wing CC Call - the best question (also on Reddit)

lY7RCQa.jpg

I was at that CC call as well. I know some people thought the whole anonymous survey thing was more gimmick than anything else. But I actually liked it...especially the question about whether or not we have enough time in the work day to actually accomplish our daily workload. Hopefully the willingness to put that out there is an indication that the new boss "get's it". I guess we'll see.

Unless something has changed since I retired, someone awarded a missile badge is rated.

Regards, RF

Yeah, but you have to make "air quotes" with your fingers when you say they're "rated."

I was at that CC call as well. I know some people thought the whole anonymous survey thing was more gimmick than anything else. But I actually liked it...especially the question about whether or not we have enough time in the work day to actually accomplish our daily workload. Hopefully the willingness to put that out there is an indication that the new boss "get's it". I guess we'll see.

Don't want to get to much into specifics. But it was totally anonymous and none of them were planted. All unanswered questions are being sent to him and he's engaging as best he can. He didn't shy away from the hard ones (Mon not a down day). So, there's that.

Regards, RF

Nope, they're not rated anymore. Although, missileers do still wear flight suits. Both space (13S) and missiles (13N) fall under non-rated ops.

Nope, they're not rated anymore. Although, missileers do still wear flight suits. Both space (13S) and missiles (13N) fall under non-rated ops.

Wow, do I feel out of touch. Next thing you know, someone is going to tell me the "Eagles" disbanded or that the Raiders moved back to Oakland.

Thanks for bringing me into the 21st Century Digger.

Regards, RF

• Upvote 1

Not there yet, but Zabel and Higby grew up in Cyber and have the right mindset. My money's on Higby as the 1st Cyber 4 star

http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/467026/brig-gen-patrick-c-higby.aspx

http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/108886/brigadier-general-sarah-e-zabel.aspx

What is the "right mindset" for cyber? It seems like its somewhere between "outsource everything" and "our cyber platforms are major weapons systems for which people should be qualified on, we should plan for, and should be organized like operational units/systems." Those are two very different extremes, and I don't see the overall strategery.