What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Who called the Airman in? His/her supervisor? Commander? The General?

If I were a betting man I would say is was sycophantic pickle-polishing middle management types who are not the general but are close enough to think that they will go far in life by making everything perfect for said general. Unfortunately, these are the kind of knobs who DO go far in the AF-- hence the reason this thread is pushing 100 pages.

• Upvote 5

My Amn got called in over the weekend to update the GAL rank for a recently promoted O7.

Granted I've only spent a minimal amount of time around the recently promoted O-7 in question, but I have a very hard time believing he would have demanded a comm dude come in on the weekend for that. My guess is that was the good work of middle management.

Friday at 1630: "Hey Major, would you please get comm to update my rank in the global?" "Yessir!"

Friday at 1900: "Hey comm MSgt, the general wants his rank fixed now!"

Saturday at 0700: "Airman, get into work right now and fix the global!!"

Monday at 0729: "General sir, your email is fixed as you asked!"

• Upvote 1

Isn't there a headline at the top of the main AF Portal page with a link about self-updating your GAL info?

edit: No, not on AF Portal home page. It was (and still is) on the 514AMW home page.

Edited by JarheadBoom

Who called the Airman in? His/her supervisor? Commander? The General?

DS & exec were demanding it get done ASAP since he pinned on Fri.

And yep.. we can't update NIPR GAL info. That pulls straight from DEERS now. SIPR we finished on Saturday. So.. it takes 3 days to update changes.

DOR is the 15th.. so for 3 days the rank could be wrong.

THE HORROR.

Edited by 17D_guy

I'm no general, but if I were, and I found out that my DS and/or aide called someone in on a weekend for a chickenshit thing like a GAL update, I would curbstomp them both and demand they apologize for bad judgment.

Mentioned it to the Vice when he came around for his immersion tours today. He said thanks/sorry. He seems like a stand up dude, so we'll see if the interaction changes.

Edited by 17D_guy

How the f*uck is an SOS DG decided?

When I went through 3yrs ago it seemed to be completely based on grades. I say this because our DG had the highest grades in the flight and because of this had to go to an "academic meeting" before our peer evals were done. This meeting was used to determine who the Sq DG was going to be. He ended up being the Sq DG and competed at another "academic meeting" with the other Sq DG's to see who would get the #1/869 CGOs. Ooooh, fancy.

While this seems I'm bitching about SOS, I'm actually wondering if our future leaders are based on who can write a paper best? We all know SOS DG = school slots, staff tours, less flying, and the ever coveted Sq/CC where you get to be another worthless level of bureaucracy while your Wing & Group use you as a puppet via some bastardized level of "decentralized control".

I just can't imagine that our future commanders are determined by a bunch of capts/majs who read some shit and give it a grade based on grammar and proper documentation. It's all the same exact papers with the cookie cutter answers they're looking for written by Capt X and Y. The only differences are the names at the top.

So I say again, will we have a CSAF 15yrs down the road that's the best because he's real good like with them words?

Any SOS instructors out there care to chime in?

Disclaimer: my flight was 29/33

Edited by Herkasaurus

Disclaimer: my flight was 29/33

Sounds like you guys did SOS right. Always cracked me up seeing the "motivated" flights studying, organized PT, working on the weekends (I shit you not), etc. while you're drinking your face off and using SOS for the vacation it is.

Flight was 28/30. We had great camaraderie and partied but did sh-tty on all the team events. BUT - the DG system worked in our case.

Went in 2010. It may have changed, but at the time your ranking was a mix of flight (peer) input, flight ranking, grades, and flight/cc input - in that order. As I recall your peer input was worth 40-50% and flt/cc ranking was only 10%. They added them all up and the top 10% in the school were the DGs. So to make DG you couldn't be a self-serving dick because your flight mates would see it and rank you that way. Additionally, if you did well as a team you had a better shot at getting more DGs in your flight.

We did shitty and thus only got one DG. But it was the right person and everyone was rooting for her. She was a no-bullshitting ABM patch who was the first to bitch about the corniness of the school but also the first to help out anyone in the flight and give her all in the team events (even though we blew nearly every one). She led well when it was her turn to lead, and followed well when it was her turn to follow.

I agree that the SOS DG is given too much weight in one's career, but at least as the system was when I went through I disagree that SOS DGs are self-serving dicks. Because at least nowadays, the most important factor in the award is peer-input & feedback - I don't get how you can be a SSD (self-serving dick) and have your teammates rank you well enough to land in the top 10%. If it's changed then let me know - the cadre was pretty open about how the system worked with us back then.

zb

Sounds like you guys did SOS right. Always cracked me up seeing the "motivated" flights studying, organized PT, working on the weekends (I shit you not), etc. while you're drinking your face off and using SOS for the vacation it is.

Damn. We did zero organized PT and bought kegs on two weekends while we were there...and we were #1/7 in the squadron with 2 DGs.

Slight thread drift: feedback from airline interviews say that they also like to see AAD and some form of community service.

Granted, this is just for the interview, and I can't imagine they give two shits once you're hired, but it's still interesting nonetheless.

If by AAD you mean a Bachelor degree, then yes. Bachelor degrees in general are highly desired but not required. High school diplomas are generally required. Can't speak to community service. Of all the apps I've filled out I've seen it mentioned once, on AA as I recall.

In my US Airways indoc class, out of 7 military dudes, 5 were DGs from CGO level PME. If you want to get hired by an airline, make sure to check that container.

How this came up is a good question, but another question worth asking is why 5 dudes with career-enhancing DG accolades decide to get out of the AF? Of course this question is rhetorical since this thread explains a lot of it, but it is a question the AF should be asking but probably doesn't recognize the significance of it yet.