What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Brick is right. If you are a top-tier, then you are perceived as being more valuable. Now, of course, one could question what are the latest criteria of "top-tier," but in general, the meritocracy favors the golden children. That being said, high strats also need to come with top-cover from leadership. I know a more recent example of someone who got a public drunkenness citation at UPT, burned bridges due to it, washed out, re-cored to a non-rated field, got great strats and a top notch record, but got the axe in a RIF. He never really had the top-cover from his senior rater or someone with access to his senior rater.

Also, most of the "DUI and salvaged career" stories that I hear are from old hats who knew of other old hats from back in the day (nothing newer than early 2000's, post 9/11). I would say at this instant in time, a DUI is going to be a career killer until the manpower situation turns around, and the service starts talking about increasing manning. Right now, even if units are crying for bodies, the flesh-peddlers at AFPC are cutting because the money is not there.

Also know a guy who got charged with public intoxication after flipping off a cop...this was after he played the military card and the cop initially let him go.

In jail...over night...busted!

This was early in the T-38 phase, but he finished UPT and is now a CMR Pilot.

This was within the last year.

Cap-10

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net iOS App!

Also know a guy who got charged with public intoxication after flipping off a cop...this was after he played the military card and the cop initially let him go.

In jail...over night...busted!

This was early in the T-38 phase, but he finished UPT and is now a CMR Pilot.

This was within the last year.

Cap-10

And he'll probably stay a CMR pilot until his commitment is up, at which point he will be passed over for major and invited to leave.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also, most of the "DUI and salvaged career" stories that I hear are from old hats who knew of other old hats from back in the day (nothing newer than early 2000's, post 9/11). I would say at this instant in time, a DUI is going to be a career killer until the manpower situation turns around, and the service starts talking about increasing manning. Right now, even if units are crying for bodies, the flesh-peddlers at AFPC are cutting because the money is not there.

A dude in my last unit got a DUI in 2010. He got RIF'd the next year, picked up full time by the local reserve unit, upgraded to IP/EP, and promoted to major. Then he x-flowed to another airframe and got the AF to pay for his type and ATP. I'd say that's a pretty darn successful post-DUI career. I guess if you're trying to make O-6 then yes, a DUI might make that goal somewhat more difficult to obtain. It all depends on your criteria I suppose...

• Upvote 1

Instead, how about we discuss some ways to reduce ARIs that actually make sense? You never know...someone in charge might read it.

I vote that we blame it all on "fighter pilot culture", and the solution be that we tear down and eliminate it from the AF.

That worked with sexual assault, right?

Brick is right. If you are a top-tier, then you are perceived as being more valuable.

I think some of you guys might be surprised at how instantaneously Big Blue can take a fast burner and turn him into a zero if he dares cross whatever the line-of-the-day is.

Today, that line is sexual assault. In the past (and maybe now) that included DUI. There are other hot button topics that cause binary "burn the witch" reactions, regardless of the arc the accused's careers is on.

Edited by Hacker
  • Upvote 1

The peter principle sums it up pretty well.

To summarize (from Wikipedia):

'The Peter Principle is a concept in management theory in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on their performance in their current role rather than on their abilities relevant to the intended role...The authors suggest that people will tend to be promoted until they reach their "position of incompetence".'

'Peter suggests that "n time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties" and that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence."'

Yeah that's pretty much what's wrong with the Air Force. I've noted before that every leadership position in the Air Force above Sq/DO is filled by an inexperienced rookie. "Hey, you're great at this job, time to move on to a different one."

• Downvote 1

This may belong in the "WTF?" thread. That's a serious WTF if true.

We trust you with aircraft, we trust you with weapons, we trust you with the nations secrets, but I can't trust you to manage a six pack of Budweiser. Thats clearly beyond your pay grade.

• Upvote 3

Today at the AFSOC Change of Command, 3 people passed out...during a 45 minute ceremony...inside a hanger.

THAT is a big part of what's wrong with the AF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So? At the zoo we had track stars fall out occasionally. Standing at attention for 45 minutes listening to a scripted speech is stupid.

• Upvote 1

So? At the zoo we had track stars fall out occasionally. Standing at attention for 45 minutes listening to a scripted speech is stupid.

What does being a track star have to do with it? Do you hold athletes who run track in some high regard?

I don't disagree that being in formation for something like that is dumb...but not being able to stand there (at parade rest, not attention) and in a hanger none the less, is just plain embarrassing

Edited by hispeed7721

Today at the AFSOC Change of Command, 3 people passed out...during a 45 minute ceremony...inside a hanger.

THAT is a big part of what's wrong with the AF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had something similar happen during a CoC outdoors, except this was at a sub-tropical base in the morning sunlight.

Almost none of the Airmen (including myself) knew the old CC or the new one, and didn't care about the new CC's personal life story. Realized if I'm ever in the position that I should keep it short, sweet, and focused more on what changes the Airmen may directly see than go on about my own accomplishments and my wife and dog and awesome college experience and how far I've come and how great everyone in the squadron pretends to be when I'm around.

On the passing out in formation ... locked knees will get you everytime. If it was intentional, I recall Ancient Romans were forced to attend Emperor Nero's musical recitals and plays. They were so bad, people faked heart attacks or going into labor so they would have an excuse to leave. The analogy here is clear. Let me give you every CoC speech I've ever heard:

Thank you (insert name of person who just handed over guidon here), this is a big honor. Yadda Yadda Yadda, I couldn't have gotten here without the support of my family (cue kid unable to sit still in front row with frazzled wife staring blankly ahead with attempted Stepford Wife Smile), Yadda Yadda Yadda, hard work to do, yadda yadda yadda, /Returns Salute to new squadron.

• Upvote 1

I separate in 88 days. Though I'm deployed right now, I'm trying to accomplish online preseparation counseling so I can focus on moving my family when I get back. Low and behold, the preseparation counseling I am REQUIRED to accomplish is on the Army Knowlege Online site. I have to accomplish this counseling, which by the way, doesn't work on AFCENT computers because of Comm restrictions. So, now I have to call a commercial number from a deployed location to talk to a civilian to work into their schedule to complete their requirements that don't help me one dam^ bit. THIS is why I'm getting out. I can't even separate withough completing some bull$hit requirement that has every road block in place imaginable that does nothing but waste my time.

• Upvote 3

As far as speaking in front of the bros, whether is a farewell, or weapons academics, I've always enjoyed the ice water rule.

You can talk as long as you can keep your hand submerged in a bucket of ice water...when you can't stand the cold and take your hand out...your speaking part is over.

Cap-10

• Upvote 6