What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

So, how does that set of gambling machines at Ramstein's KMCC keep operating if gambling is illegal on base?

Where does the article say that gambling is illegal on base? It just talks about not gambling while on duty or in your workplace.

THIS is what's wrong with the AF. From a MC-12 squadron. If six on, six off deployment cycle wasn't bad enough; now pre-deployment leave is not allowed outside of the local area and sex life must be coordinated with the ADO.

Subject: Outlining expectations and policy

XXXXXX,

A couple of recent incidents are prompting this squadron advisory email so please read and heed.

1. Leave beyond the local area WILL NOT be approved after BDOS. Local area is somewhat subjective but if you can't be recalled to the squadron within 2 hours then you will probably be denied. This is completely subject to my discretion so please be ready to explain your leave plan to me prior to approval. If I approve your local area leave and you have uncompleted pre-deployment prep or job related handoff then expect your leave to be cancelled at anytime.

2. Take charge of your deployment and major life events. Babies generally require 9-10 months to be fully operational post merge. There is plenty of time for you and your wife to execute the merge, deploy and return for your baby's solo flight. If you choose to advise me of your upcoming major life event with less than 7.5 months notice then you are failing to take charge of your deployment and are completely at my mercy. If you can't plan for your own future I have no pity. Come talk to me and I will help you evaluate your options. Bottom line, waive your dwell, deploy and return in time for your major life event and you have taken charge of your life and your wife and country will celebrate your sacrifice. If you desire to acquire a wife/husband with which to execute the merge then you should also consider taking charge of your major life event in a similar fashion.

I am quickly becoming the evil and soulless field grade officer that the Air Force desires.

XXXXXXXXXX, Maj, USAF

### RS Assistant Director of Operations

Beale AFB, CA

Has there been any additional 'fall-out' in the past week or two? Has the individual recanted or been set straight?

Yesterday a deployed member in Afghanistan got an LOA for hands in pockets. You probably think I'm joking. You probably think there are additional extenuating circumstances I left out. Nope.

Pretty much the tip of the iceberg of shit going on right now.

Are you required to sign a LOA? If so, don't sign it and reference the following news article with quotes from the CSAF. I chalk this rule up in the ridiculous column along with the requirement to fold up your watch cap...much to the chagrin of my command chief.

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467619/welsh-airmen-should-use-common-sense-in-approaching-missions.aspx

Edited by SocialD

Yesterday a deployed member in Afghanistan got an LOA for hands in pockets. You probably think I'm joking. You probably think there are additional extenuating circumstances I left out. Nope.

Someone should send General Welsh a letter about this particular event. Ask him if this is really the Air Force he wants defending our country.

Holy shit. Location?

Are you required to sign a LOA? If so, don't sign it and reference the following news article with quotes from the CSAF. I chalk this rule up in the ridiculous column along with the requirement to fold up your watch cap...much to the chagrin of my command chief.

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467619/welsh-airmen-should-use-common-sense-in-approaching-missions.aspx

Just like anything else, required to sign in order to acknowledge receipt, not that you agree or accept that the person issuing it is correct. You should be able to write a rebuttal though and could reference article in said rebuttal.

• Upvote 1

It's a damn shame when someone else has nothing else better to do than write someone up for having their hands in their pockets, at a deployed location none-the-less. I truly do understand that there are standards to be met, but if I went around giving paperwork to every guy/gal that I saw violating an AFI here, I would get nothing done. And Big Blue wonders why a shit-ton of folks hit the button.....

LOC, LOR,...LOA? This sounds not good, but what is this one? Admonishment?

Yeah LOA is in between LOC and LOR, it's basically a good way to have the visibility of an LOR without the negative repercussions that follow an LOR.

Someone should send General Welsh a letter about this particular event. Ask him if this is really the Air Force he wants defending our country.

This, all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a damn shame when someone else has nothing else better to do than write someone up for having their hands in their pockets, at a deployed location none-the-less. I truly do understand that there are standards to be met, but if I went around giving paperwork to every guy/gal that I saw violating an AFI here, I would get nothing done. And Big Blue wonders why a shit-ton of folks hit the button.....

If I can't trust a guy to keep his hands out of his pockets, how can I trust the same guy to get bombs on target? Or turn the key in the silo when ordered? Or make a patty melt correctly at the chow hall? Or properly scan an ID at the gate? Or create a CBT correctly? Or install a flight control component correctly? Or monitor a satellite orbit? Or any other number of critical life or death functions worldwide that would be placed in immediate jeopardy and instant peril......all due to one singular guy on the other side of the planet in the middle of nowhere, who isn't able to keep his hands out of his pockets?

Luckily, he was caught in time. And the aforementioned duties, as well as a host of others, were saved just in the nick of time; and can continue to operate at their robust pace. We can't afford to let ourselves get this close to the brink again. This is how wars start.

• Upvote 6

If I can't trust a guy to keep his hands out of his pockets, how can I trust the same guy to get bombs on target? Or turn the key in the silo when ordered? Or make a patty melt correctly at the chow hall? Or properly scan an ID at the gate? Or create a CBT correctly? Or install a flight control component correctly? Or monitor a satellite orbit?

Duh, he can't do any of those things. They all require hands, which we said were in his pocket. You can't turn the key with your hands in your pocket. Case closed!

• Upvote 1

If I can't trust a guy to keep his hands out of his pockets, how can I trust the same guy to get bombs on target? Or turn the key in the silo when ordered? Or make a patty melt correctly at the chow hall? Or properly scan an ID at the gate? Or create a CBT correctly? Or install a flight control component correctly? Or monitor a satellite orbit?

Or draft, coordinate, and publish a PSDM correctly?

• Upvote 3