What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

You are right. It was a figure of speech. But it wasn't difficult to see that there were horrible pilots and great pilots to be even in the early stages of UPT.

I bet you weren't a very good IP. Just a hunch.

Nobody gets O's on UPT checkrides anymore.

More importantly, it doesn't matter. We had 9 guys in my class, 6 got fighters. 3 of the dudes that got fighters hooked all but one checkride.

It's funny how much things shift in only 4-5 years. The feeling I get from the Air Force is they don't really care about performance as much as they care about making the numbers work. AFPC screwed up. Guess we better give fighters to everyone!

I had heard that AFPC isn't allowing UPT SQ/CCs to give fighters back, even when the people getting fighters are likely to kill themselves or others. How the pendulum has swung from 4-5 years ago!

Crap, I was not trying to sound like Al Bundy and derail this into a UPT thread...I failed. Apologies I am old, crotchety and deployed without bourbon to clear my thoughts.

The point was to address how we get folks into the proper group, we probably get it right most of the time, but just like the outside world, shit is not always fair.

The bigger issue is how we resolve the shortage, most think crossflow won't work, other have said the system is already at max capacity so what does the AF do? Targeted bonuses will get some to commit, but I am betting it won't fix the problem. We need an out of the box solution but that is exceedingly difficult to do in a force management system that practices rigid institutionalism on a daily basis. In the end they will probably just employ the ultimate force management tool, Stop Loss.

Edited by ClearedHot

We are short of experienced 11F's.

Fighters create experienced 11F's.

The cheapest jets create that experience for the least cost.

Stop driving our lowest cost fighters to the boneyard.

One idea, anyway.

We are short of experienced 11F's.

Fighters create experienced 11F's.

The cheapest jets create that experience for the least cost.

Stop driving our lowest cost fighters to the boneyard.

One idea, anyway.

That works fine until the shooting starts and your "lowest cost" fighters aren't worth a damn.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but just be aware of the other side of that coin. No one besides A1 should care about "Ops Squadron Throughput." The main focus should be MOTHERFUCKING COMBAT CAPABILITY.

In short, I'm sick of hearing about how ops squadrons are simply a means to an end. Your average AFPC functional doesn't know shit about what makes a fighter squadron effective, and he simply does not care to learn.

• Upvote 3

Well, I didn't mean for that to escalate into a MAF vs CAF pissing match.

Unrelated to those shenanigans, but related to what's wrong with the AF, we just got new guidance on our morale patches:

1. Only a singular squadron morale patch is allowed, and it is required. No hours patches, crew patches, patches from special events, or other MWS patches.

2. Only one pen tab patch is authorized, and either everyone wears it or no one does.

Unrelated to those shenanigans, but related to what's wrong with the AF, we just got new guidance on our morale patches:

1. Only a singular squadron morale patch is allowed, and it is required. No hours patches, crew patches, patches from special events, or other MWS patches.

2. Only one pen tab patch is authorized, and either everyone wears it or no one does.

Stupid beyond words. Standardized morale. Edited by RTB
  • Upvote 1

In short, I'm sick of hearing about how ops squadrons are simply a means to an end. Your average AFPC functional doesn't know shit about what makes a fighter squadron effective, and he simply does not care to learn.

So.. stupid question. Aren't your functionals 11F's as well? Or do you mean someone higher up that I'm not aware of?

In short, I'm sick of hearing about how ops squadrons are simply a means to an end. Your average AFPC functional doesn't know shit about what makes an ops squadron effective, and he simply does not care to learn.

This, with a minor edit. Back in 2011 AFPC decided the KC-135 was significantly overmanned (I spent 250+ days on the road around that time). Dudes with 2 years and 2 months on station were getting assignments for RPAs. These guys weren't even ACs yet. Your better guys in the squadrons were getting UPT assignments. Your top few guys were fortunate to get another CONUS tanker assignment or ALTUS.

To top all of this, OUP kicks off in 2012. Because we were "so overmanned" we had people do 77 day deployments to AFCENT, go home for a couple of weeks, deploy for OUP for 77 days, and then get a couple of weeks at home. After two weeks...back to AFCENT.

Every community is hurting right now, and it isn't getting any better.

• Upvote 1

If you like the leadership at LRAFB, you will love this. Musta been a slow week in tactical airlifting.

http://www.littlerock.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123401734

No offense to Popeye's employees, but how the ###### do they have anything to do with "Combat Airlift"? How does a civilian fast-food manager become the "Combat Airlifter of the Week"?

I get it...eating fried chicken is probably #15 on the list of priorities, thus beating out #18, flying the mission.

Edit to add: OK, yes she's technically an AAFES employee, but I'm staring right at the title of the award and can't seem to connect the two.

Edited by Hueypilot
  • Upvote 3

She honestly looks slightly bewildered as to why she's getting a Combat Airlifter award from the Wing Commander and Chief. I'd love to see the writeup turned in on her behalf for this award. "Spearhead'd tng pgm for 16 civs; enabled sustenance for 6900 LRAFB warriors...direct spt for 69-pallet cbt airdrop ISO ISAF troops"

• Upvote 1

She honestly looks slightly bewildered as to why she's getting a Combat Airlifter award from the Wing Commander and Chief. I'd love to see the writeup turned in on her behalf for this award. "Spearhead'd tng pgm for 16 civs; enabled sustenance for 6900 LRAFB warriors...direct spt for 69-pallet cbt airdrop ISO ISAF troops"

Served eleventy billion calories...

• Upvote 2

I would assume that being a shift manager means that "devoting her time to training new associates" is part of her normal duties. At least that's what shift managers did when I worked fast food as a kid many years ago. So much for recognizing the "above and beyond" stuff.

I would assume that being a shift manager means that "devoting her time to training new associates" is part of her normal duties. At least that's what shift managers did when I worked fast food as a kid many years ago. So much for recognizing the "above and beyond" stuff.

It's not about extra-curricular stuff anymore...it's about job performance. If she fries chicken better than you hit the drop zone, you lose (which apparently every last one of you fuckers are up for a bad bomb board soon). ...now go trim up your damned mustache and get back in the vault.

Bendy

Hey now, I think I did a pretty good job "devoting my time to training new Combat Airlift pilots", and hell, I was actually doing "Combat Airlift"...also, I've fried chicken before, that's as easy as flying a tanker.

Edited by Hueypilot
  • Upvote 3