What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

able to grade leaders on how considerate they are of airmen’s time.

I feel my commander is inconsiderate of my time. He keeps making me "fly missions" and "show up to work." All this is getting in the way of my beer drinking.

I've heard a few O-6's say that the time is starting where we have to do less with less now, and it's a challenge.

Being lazy is easy when there's no work to do. It's not some magical O-6 revelation that we'll have to do less work when there's less money, less jets, less people, and less deployments. I bet some of those profits make General with foresight like that.

• 1 month later...

http://www.airforcem...th-Boredom.aspx

To help prevent airmen from getting bored in their jobs after 12 hard years of war and being in a specific career field, the Air Force needs to find a way to retain them, said Cody during the Sept. 18 briefing. Without a sense of adventure, "bored airmen will go somewhere else," he said. "They will not hang around long." Cody said "it's difficult to say" what must change since not all airmen are back yet, but this is something senior leadership will have to discuss. "We need to integrate them back into their units" and allow them to "decompress," he said. "Normal's going to look dramatically different when you take [the airmen] out of that [combat] environment," said Cody.

yeah, boredom...that's at the top of my list of problems to solve.

Although, to give him some credit, he is right, "They will not hang around long"... but please no more creative "adventures".

http://www.airforcem...th-Boredom.aspx

yeah, boredom...that's at the top of my list of problems to solve.

Although, to give him some credit, he is right, "They will not hang around long"... but please no more creative "adventures".

I think he kind of has a point. We all complain about deployments (and for many people they will continue past OEF to Africa and wherever else) but when we're just training and not going to Afghanistan to actually hack the mission it could definitely cause boredom in some people. Obviously that is HIGHLY dependent on your airframe/job/mission but it holds somewhat true.

• Upvote 1

Was boredom a problem before OEF? I don't remember it being a problem in the 90s. Where is this guy coming from?

From 2001 until present, the AF didn't seem to care much about high deployment rates other than giving lip service to them and making us fill out medical forms. But now they're worried about us being bored? YGBSM.

I think he kind of has a point. We all complain about deployments (and for many people they will continue past OEF to Africa and wherever else) but when we're just training and not going to Afghanistan to actually hack the mission it could definitely cause boredom in some people. Obviously that is HIGHLY dependent on your airframe/job/mission but it holds somewhat true.

Are you kidding? Listening to the guys talk about pre-OEF/OIF days makes me jealous. I would love to get back to those days!

• Upvote 1

Airmen "won't hang around long?" Isn't that what the Air Force wants? We don't have a retention problem...you said so just 6 short months ago when we talked about more personnel cuts.. Retention is the highest it has been in 16 years. Airmen will hang around...don't worry Air Force.

Are you kidding? Listening to the guys talk about pre-OEF/OIF days makes me jealous. I would love to get back to those days!

In fairness the AF was engaged in Northern and Southern Watch so the AF deployment schedule hasn't been calm since the first Gulf War. The Army and US public usually forgets that, 23 years of combat/deployment ops to a sandy craphole, nothing to be jealous of.

Well I honestly remember the pre9/11 world and the operations we were doing I was not really bored. I can say that as a maintainer we had time to properly do inspection methodically and put quality work into repairs. Amazing how times have changed. I believe people will still be busy but not working 12+ hrs and still going home to work EPR/OPRs and trying to find gym time.

Rather be Flying but I'm using Tapatalk

Edited by Lstcause257

So in between TDYs I try and take a little leave...then I get to go to work while I'm on leave because there are still OPRs and medals to write. Yeah, I'm super concerned about getting bored. Are these guys high? I thought spice was outlawed in the AF

Why would you take leave then go to work? If you're going to be at work writing OPRs and medals, don't go on leave.