What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Spot fucking on! Good find. Went to ONE wing Top-3 meeting when I got my line number for Master. All I could think of was WTF???? Should have walked out then and there in the first 5 minutes but waited till the end of the meeting and NEVER went back. What a bunch of goobers who wanted face time with leadership, fund raising (for what I don't know) and other crap.

All I ever wanted to do was make sure those grey noisy things on the other side of the red line launched and recovered safely and on schedule so if the call ever came we could rain hate down on the enemies of democracy and freedom. That was the squadron/Wing's mission; the Top 3 guys seemed to forget that. They seemed only to worry about how to stroke themselves (STS) to look good for plaques, awards, EPR bullets, promotions, etc... But I didn't notice NONE of those individuals were from the world of OPS or MX. I suppose in the M-F, 9 to 5, hour for lunch world of the shoe/nonner you can do things like that.

Felt the same way when ever I had to a briefing with personnel other than ops or mx. EEO were the worst with an Air Force Barbie talking down to cops and mx because we said fuck alot and called people like her cocksuckers. Went to a Command Chief Senior E call, coming off a grave shift sitting in the op's auditorium I thought it might be important, it was 30 minutes of who wants a "Senior Rater endorsement". God Damn perfumed prince Command E-9 and the lower life forms who raised their hands when he asked that question.

• Upvote 2

... because we said fuck a lot and called people like her cocksuckers... ...who wants a "Senior Rater endorsement"...

Point 1: Fuck and cocksucker is/are just another adjective and/or term of endearment in MX world, so what was the problem?

Point 2: I sat through one of those "Senior Rater endorsement" briefs once, thanks for triggering a PTSD moment (LOL). With no aspirations to become a 1st Sgt/command chief/CMSgt of the AF I didn't give two cares about the political game for E-8/9. Especially when shortly after I sewed on SSgt I was "mentored" that in order to make those ranks you had to be "sponsored" by a Chief or field grade officer; who, like an evil Sith Lord, would look out for you and make sure you filled all the right squares in your career. (INFO NOTE: We're talking mid 80s here, so maybe things have changed; I don't know)

I just wanted to be the best maintainer I could and retire with honor as a MSgt. Worked my ass off 10 to 12+ hours a day in searing desert heat to -40 temps so the jets could fly. But I had a blast traveling the world, worked on Uncle Sam's front line fighter jets and was blessed with incentive rides in both the Eagle and Viper. Got to stand on the Korean DMZ, peer into (what was then) East Germany, drink beer the world over and have adventures others only read about on-line. All that, and still managed to stay married, raise two kids, complete a bachelor's degree and was half way through a masters on the day of my retirement ceremony.

Funny thing, the boot lilcking nonner/shoe who retired with the same rank and years of service, gets just about the same $$ in their retirement check. To loosely quote Boyd; I wasn't out to be someone; I went out and did something.

Don't regret my decision one bit.

• Upvote 6

Point 1: ###### and cocksucker is/are just another adjective and/or term of endearment in MX world, so what was the problem?

which is why i'm terrified to take my stripes off and leave mx and for ops but here i go

which is why i'm terrified to take my stripes off and leave mx and for ops but here i go

Good luck on your quest, I had an AIC troop who at the last minute did not want to leave to go the USAFA, after a long talk and few threats of me administrating a bitch slap if he did not go. Needless to say he gave Dubya a bear hug at commencement, flew KC-135's and MC-12's got passed over for Major and now a 737NG FO for Alaska and married a hot babe. I'm proud of him. See what happens if you have somebody who has your back threatening you with a bitch slap if your too scared to leap.

• Upvote 1

In Mx I would prefer an 2Lt would defer to the crusty Pro Super when making Mx decisions when it came to the jet , experience beats youth. But that was in the USAF I was in since most guys like me spent our entire career on the flightline and were considered not well rounded. I hear that doesn't happen anymore.

There's a BIG difference between deferring to technical expertise and being run roughshod over by the people you're supposed to be leading. I put a lot of faith in my flight engineers, and I trusted their input based on their area of expertise, but the final decision was mine and mine alone, and I didn't care how much "convincing" I needed to do.

There's a BIG difference between deferring to technical expertise and being run roughshod over by the people you're supposed to be leading. I put a lot of faith in my flight engineers, and I trusted their input based on their area of expertise, but the final decision was mine and mine alone, and I didn't care how much "convincing" I needed to do.

Only convincing you need to do is that A Code on the flight orders. This is a big issue in the Air Force, one knowing their lane.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Probably better in wtf thread, but in middle of PCS to Ft Living Room and for no good reason decided to stay night at Scott AFB. Where a dank, nasty room cost $60/night. WTF?!?

Yeah, didnt go TDY much my last assignment. But when the hell did AF billleting lose their f'ing minds?

• Upvote 1

Probably better in wtf thread, but in middle of PCS to Ft Living Room and for no good reason decided to stay night at Scott AFB. Where a dank, nasty room cost $60/night. WTF?!?

Yeah, didnt go TDY much my last assignment. But when the hell did AF billleting lose their f'ing minds?

You're a few years late. http://www.afpc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123319877

The nice thing is that if you elect to use off base lodging while TDY, you get a little more to play with if you don't get a non-a.

From the linked article: "The Air Force has been losing more drone pilots than they can train, which has Gen. Welsh concerned and which has forced him to order a stop-loss."

Is the stop loss now official?

-9-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the linked article: "The Air Force has been losing more drone pilots than they can train, which has Gen. Welsh concerned and which has forced him to order a stop-loss."

-9-

Where is he loosing drone pilots to? All those commercial drone outfits? Oh wait...

-9-

Less than a year ago, drone pilots were getting almost $100k to VSP.

• Upvote 1

-9-

Probably went out on Thursday or Friday at 1700. So everyone won't find out till tomorrow morning.

-9-

If only we hadn't paid all those pilots to get out, and forced others out against their wills...

Less than a year ago, drone pilots were getting almost $100k to VSP.

I'd have to check the eligibility tables, but if I remember correctly 11U and 18X were ineligible just like 11Fs were - based on your core AFSC. I was one who tried desperately twice to escape this sinking ship last year.

I still can't figure why they didn't cross flow more guys to RPAs instead of paying them to leave and waiving UPT ADSC.

I don't see how the AF is going to get away with this...you guys need to band together and fight this shit in the court / public domain (if it is true). It is one thing to stop-loss in-order to fight a ground war...it is another to use it as a tool to correct your shitty personnel system, to add additional commitments to guys/gals who have already served lengthy commitments. And what war are they implementing this for? Congress hasn't declared war? If this logic holds up, then we can just get rid of any bonus's, ADSCs, just use stop-loss?

I'd round up the bros, get a lawyer(s), talk to JQP...and FENCE-IN...

I read the new "RPA talking points" the other day and all I saw was 30 "traditional" pilots being extended 1 year. I'm assuming that meant extend from return to manned flying, but I'll try and get them to post tomorrow. It was the cliff notes of "we have a problem"... "its big"... "here's what we're doing in the short term to fix this, but its not a long term solution"... words words words, sounds right, words words, but we don't believe it, word words, stop the paper before we have to talk about what we won't sacrifice (F-35, all desired future war capabilities... let's stop loss instead)

I don't see how the AF is going to get away with this...you guys need to band together and fight this shit in the court / public domain (if it is true). It is one thing to stop-loss in-order to fight a ground war...it is another to use it as a tool to correct your shitty personnel system, to add additional commitments to guys/gals who have already served lengthy commitments. And what war are they implementing this for? Congress hasn't declared war? If this logic holds up, then we can just get rid of any bonus's, ADSCs, just use stop-loss?

I'd round up the bros, get a lawyer(s), talk to JQP...and FENCE-IN...

Fight in court...based on what, exactly? Last time I checked, stop loss was completely legal. Just ask all the poor bastards in the Army who were stop lossed to serve another tour in Afghanistan and/or Iraq.

I'd have to check the eligibility tables, but if I remember correctly 11U and 18X were ineligible just like 11Fs were - based on your core AFSC. I was one who tried desperately twice to escape this sinking ship last year.

I still can't figure why they didn't cross flow more guys to RPAs instead of paying them to leave and waiving UPT ADSC.

My understanding is that the biggest hurdle is capacity for training. It doesn't help that much if you have 100 guys cross-flowed, but can only train 10 at a time (numbers are completely made up).