What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

28 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Oh, I like this gem:

Air University at Maxwell Air Force Base has also been ordered to develop a Squadron Commander Foundational Course to prepare officers, as well as civilians in similar roles, for squadron command. Wing commanders will identify field grade officers with high potential for command to attend this course, which will teach them “foundational tools and skills required to thrive in command.”

So choose your CCs as ROTC cadets, then groom them via Sq Exec as Lt > SOS DG > Wing Exec > SCFC > ACSC res > CC.  

Done.

12 minutes ago, nunya said:

Oh, I like this gem:

Air University at Maxwell Air Force Base has also been ordered to develop a Squadron Commander Foundational Course to prepare officers, as well as civilians in similar roles, for squadron command. Wing commanders will identify field grade officers with high potential for command to attend this course, which will teach them “foundational tools and skills required to thrive in command.”

So choose your CCs as ROTC cadets, then groom them via Sq Exec as Lt > SOS DG > Wing Exec > SCFC > ACSC res > CC.  

Done.

Maybe, but I think we'll benefit from commanders having a little more training than the one-week course at their MAJCOM after they get selected for command.

5 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So CC's will be allowed to perform in house physical fitness testing again. This was removed from the squadron level because people were hooking each other up and we needed to kick more people out. Oh, and the old requirement forces you to purchase a PT uniform so you have to wear it once a year for your annual test. I'm tired of this back and forth buffoonery. PT uniforms serve no purpose. Give the contract to Nike or Under Armour so the uniforms make you want to use them when not working out at the base. Kind of like college football teams and their wide array of player uniform options to help recruit. Then I might actually buy the gear. Otherwise, I will stick to my Nike dri fit gear.

The AF doesn't give a damn about physical fitness. Stop pretending. In 2013/2014, they were going to start enforcing the reg on shoe colors. I called out our shirt. I'm like you don't know shit about fitness. I used to run at night and early in the morning and you always want running shoes that are highly reflective. I'm not talking clown colored shoes either (millennials style). The AF thought we should all run in certain colored shoes. Meaning, I should train everyday in my normal running shoes that are meant for my flat feet. Then I would have to swap out my running shoes for my annual fitness test for a pair of shoes within reg just to meet the AF color requirements. Every runner knows that's just asinine and could cause an injury. Companies make certain types of running shoes for the way your feet are shaped and how you run. They are limited in color options. Nike and Brooks don't give one shit about AF shoe color requirements. Lets pander to the AF because they matter to our billion dollar industry nobody has ever said.

I hope this is true! Nothing yells buffoonery like allowing in house flight evaluations to see if you’re safe to fly a multi million dollar airplane, but have a “fitness cell” at each base to administer PT tests because they don’t trust commanders.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

Thanks for posting the link. Anyone hearing when this will start and if this also means back to a one year test cycle regardless of (passing) score?

6 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

Thanks for posting the link. Anyone hearing when this will start and if this also means back to a one year test cycle regardless of (passing) score?

Testing once a year for everyone in the AF was tossed around a few months back I believe per my CC. So has retiring as a SSgt after 20 years of service:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/07/31/air-force-may-let-staff-sergeants-serve-20-years-top-enlisted-says.html

Edited by HarleyQuinn

1 hour ago, Champ Kind said:

Davis Monthan squadrons have been testing our own for a few months now.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Talking about low threat and everyone feeling relaxed.

I'm probably missing the gist of what you're trying to say...

But barring an injury, if Airmen show up to the PT test and find it high threat and stressful, then they are the problem.  

The AF standards are about as minimal as it gets.  Watching 20-somethings weezing on lap 4 of the 1.5 mile run is pathetic.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

But barring an injury, if Airmen show up to the PT test and find it high threat and stressful, then they are the problem.  

The AF standards are about as minimal as it gets.  Watching 20-somethings weezing on lap 4 of the 1.5 mile run is pathetic.  

I consistently score around 90 and have never failed a PT test.  I get nervous before every single one.  There is no other measure that has so much ability to impact someone's career.  I know people who have failed a PT test ten years ago who were then prevented from going to WIC.  Meanwhile, I know people who had run-ins with the law who were still allowed to apply.

Even if it's something you can do in your sleep, the stress of knowing every test could end your career is still present and significant.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

What’s a good age to start the weezing on lap 4?  Asking for a friend....

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

I remember you saying that you passed your fitness test after having hip surgery. And you still beat airmen around the track 

I maxed out my fitness test with a herniated disc pressing against a leg nerve. I only had to do the push ups and sit ups. Then I limped my butt out of the gym after maxing those components at 38 years of age. The doctors later figured out what was wrong months later. Point is that I still maxed everything with an injury that required surgery.

When a person fails, I have no sympathy for them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I remember you saying that you passed your fitness test after having hip surgery. And you still beat airmen around the track 

I maxed out my fitness test with a herniated disc pressing against a leg nerve. I only had to do the push ups and sit ups. Then I limped my butt out of the gym after maxing those components at 38 years of age. The doctors later figured out what was wrong months later. Point is that I still maxed everything with an injury that required surgery.

When a person fails, I have no sympathy for them.

You do you, boo.

I've had 2 back surgeries, crushed disc at 19 and then a bone spur compressing the sciatic nerve at 35.  I got addicted to narcotics to deal with the pain while the AF figured it out.  PSA - Withdrawals suck.

Now I've got bone spurs in both heels that look like eagle talons on the x-ray.

I've never failed a PT test, but I've come close.  I can't depend on my body to not fuck itself.  I also carry all of my weight in the midsection, so the tape is a constant struggle.  Every time I get to a place I consider acceptable for PT another part breaks.

I do what I can, track food, diet...workout as directed by the medical hobby shop.  The stress that hits me for PT testing is unlike anything else I've ever done (CDC or promotion testing enlisted, undergrad/grad classes, alone with SrA Hotness, etc.).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2018 at 11:46 PM, HarleyQuinn said:

Air Force, AMC pursue initiatives to better retain pilots

https://www.airforcetimes.com/opinion/commentary/2018/07/29/air-force-amc-pursue-initiatives-to-better-retain-pilots/

Most people could probably telework from the states and still get the AFCENT queep accomplished.

Telework for "deployed" folks was actually something I worked on while at 24AF. 

By "worked on" I mean the AMC/A6 called my boss and asked, why setting up accounts on AFCENT for the deployers didn't "just work" to connect to AFNET...AMC/CC project...CSAF visibility...it worked at X location.  Of course, light on details at X location.

Some Comm Sq/CC over-promised & got some hack solution for their specific situation working, sold it as a fix for pilot retention and then fucked up my week.

I don't think we ever got it working because I stopped tracking it when Win10 became the thing and didn't hear about it again.  I hope it did, it's a good idea.

1 hour ago, 17D_guy said:

Telework for "deployed" folks was actually something I worked on while at 24AF. 

By "worked on" I mean the AMC/A6 called my boss and asked, why setting up accounts on AFCENT for the deployers didn't "just work" to connect to AFNET...AMC/CC project...CSAF visibility...it worked at X location.  Of course, light on details at X location.

Some Comm Sq/CC over-promised & got some hack solution for their specific situation working, sold it as a fix for pilot retention and then fucked up my week.

I don't think we ever got it working because I stopped tracking it when Win10 became the thing and didn't hear about it again.  I hope it did, it's a good idea.

You worked on getting people to work at their home job while deployed, you sir, are the devil.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

You do you, boo.

I've had 2 back surgeries, crushed disc at 19 and then a bone spur compressing the sciatic nerve at 35.  I got addicted to narcotics to deal with the pain while the AF figured it out.  PSA - Withdrawals suck.

I think back to my test. If my disc had shifted just a bit more doing my sit ups only to pinch my leg nerve even further, I probably wouldn't have any feeling in my leg right now. Could have really messed me up. 

I love all the badass PT bubba's here.  I get it your fit, you pass the test no problem.   Not every one is like you nor should the be because honestly that would suck.   I also never struggle with the test, but I am also blessed with a small waste and can eat Pizza every day and likely not see much of a change in my overall body composition.  I am lucky and I know it.  I hate running, I dont have a bum knee, I don't have a problem with my back, I don't particularly have any reason to not excel beyond the fact that I to this day have yet to set foot into a gym other than for a PT test (okay not 100% true but close enough).   Should I be working out? Sure, but you know life.  I spend that extra time with my family, with my kids, and more importantly posting bull$S#$ on this forum.  If the AF truly gave two craps about our physical fitness they would mandate time out of the duty day for it, period.   The few locations were I had it scheduled for me I gladly spent that time at the gym.  But when you ask me to knock out 12 hour days and then ask me to find my own time to work out then your full of it.   Granted now I do not have that issue, my days are generally max 10 hour, with many closer to a what I would consider acceptable 8 hour day I have less of a time crunch to lean back on.  But still if it is part of my employment it likely should be part of my expected work day and build into it as such.  

• Upvote 5

I consistently score around 90 and have never failed a PT test.  I get nervous before every single one.  There is no other measure that has so much ability to impact someone's career.  I know people who have failed a PT test ten years ago who were then prevented from going to WIC.  Meanwhile, I know people who had run-ins with the law who were still allowed to apply.
Even if it's something you can do in your sleep, the stress of knowing every test could end your career is still present and significant.

This... failed one as a young Captain because the FAC civilian discounted 10 push-ups and I had a bad run time.

At the time the wife just birthed a set of twins and I was on 4 hours of sleep a night and yup I hadn’t hit the gym in a solid three months because she was on bed rest the two months prior to the blessed day.

Nobody gave a shat about that but here’s the rub.

When I was fortunate enough to command MX ops at Cannon and had an Airman butting up against a PT due date with some life events that had kept them from being prepared I happily filled out the ole commanders exemption and told them to keep in touch if they felt they couldn’t pass after the exemption expired. Dialogue with me, but if life is keeping you from PTing there is probably some other causal factor outside of fitness to blame.

To this day every time I have to take a PT test it takes me several attempts before I nut up and go take it. And no it’s not because I struggle. I’ve scored 83-85 consistently along with a couple of 90s.

I have no similar problem with I/Q or MSN check rides.

My point in this long rambling post is that commanders have been empowered ever since they have had the call to sign a ccs exemption.

If captain x has gained 20 pounds and can’t pass the test there might be reasons other than physical that are causing these issues. Maybe some other reason... like an impending divorce, alcohol abuse, anxiety disorder or some other traumatic event.

Sign the damn exemption, give your airmen the time to deal with life and if after an appropriate amount of time they can’t perform the person is lazy or unfit... you are on g series orders for a reason.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 11

4 hours ago, matmacwc said:

You worked on getting people to work at their home job while deployed, you sir, are the devil.

I was only following orders and was told the pilots were dedicated to that job, could just sleep at their homes at night.

No, I didn't believe that story either.

4 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

I also never struggle with the test, but I am also blessed with a small waste and can eat Pizza every day and likely not see much of a change in my overall body composition.  I am lucky and I know it.  

I think you might be suffering from bulimia bro.

2d006fde0435a8645214ffdffd4e4307.jpg

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Haha 2

Pawnman, your point is well taken, and I appreciate the perspective that I hadn't taken in to account... mainly because I had simply forgotten it in my advanced age.  Same with Skitzo's post.

:beer:

13 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Word from the unit is that person was completely compartmentalized from the squadron when he was working that job but he did have to make regular trips to Shaw due to IT issues. 

On 8/1/2018 at 12:40 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Of course it's not stressful when you're at an "advanced age" and the test consists of shuffleboard and maneuvering through a few cones with your hoveround. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6