What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

How bout this idea?  A flying deployment usually meant some extra coin and tax free.  But hey, we're flying.  A 179 or 365 non-flying, screw that.  So, I propose a 179 pays an extra chunk of change, and a 365 even more so.  It does 2 things, generates volunteers and deletes requirements.  The AF shouldn't want to shell out for 10 dudes handing out towels at the gym and after a few rotes, they'll figure out how to cut down on the extraneous.  Plus, they may start having folks do work that can be done stateside or make rotes much shorter.  So all I'm saying is that if those long deployments are truly worth it, pay up an extra few thou a month.  We already have Es doing deployments to gain tax free on re-up bonuses, so this kind of thing can work.  Hell, they can even put a varying price tag depending on location and level of shit to deal with.  Double a man's salary and someone will go to Asskrakistan for a few.  And get rid of the "179" label.  Make it 180 and give some credit.  Sheesh!

And beer in every location! 

59 minutes ago, disgruntledemployee said:

How bout this idea?  A flying deployment usually meant some extra coin and tax free.  But hey, we're flying.  A 179 or 365 non-flying, screw that.  So, I propose a 179 pays an extra chunk of change, and a 365 even more so.  It does 2 things, generates volunteers and deletes requirements.  The AF shouldn't want to shell out for 10 dudes handing out towels at the gym and after a few rotes, they'll figure out how to cut down on the extraneous.  Plus, they may start having folks do work that can be done stateside or make rotes much shorter.  So all I'm saying is that if those long deployments are truly worth it, pay up an extra few thou a month.  We already have Es doing deployments to gain tax free on re-up bonuses, so this kind of thing can work.  Hell, they can even put a varying price tag depending on location and level of shit to deal with.  Double a man's salary and someone will go to Asskrakistan for a few.  And get rid of the "179" label.  Make it 180 and give some credit.  Sheesh!

And beer in every location! 

There is zero chance they could get Congress to fund this.  Also 179 vs 180 is no longer relevant, they haven't given short tour credit for 180+ in quite some time.

If AF wants to cut down on requirements, CSAF needs to call out the COCOMs on their requirements.  I don't see our current CSAF going to bat on this one.  The next best COA would be to start filling the 11X required billets with non-11Xs.  When the non-rated folks show their ability to build power-point slides just as well as rated, they'll be able to drop the 11X requirement and get rid of the notion that the COCOM's "need" pilots to do their staff work.

3 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

There is zero chance they could get Congress to fund this.  Also 179 vs 180 is no longer relevant, they haven't given short tour credit for 180+ in quite some time.

If AF wants to cut down on requirements, CSAF needs to call out the COCOMs on their requirements.  I don't see our current CSAF going to bat on this one.  The next best COA would be to start filling the 11X required billets with non-11Xs.  When the non-rated folks show their ability to build power-point slides just as well as rated, they'll be able to drop the 11X requirement and get rid of the notion that the COCOM's "need" pilots to do their staff work.

If we cut off the damn supply of Toyota Hiluxs every member of ISIS seems to have in Iraq/Syria, this war would come to a screeching halt. Then no more 179s or 365s boys and girls.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Even if CSAF does, SecDef can overrule him.

I like your non-rated COA.  I know of plenty of non-rated dudes who want a bigger piece of the operations pie, and some others who are getting too comfy not deploying.

I had heard a story that when Mattis took over at CENTCOM, he was infuriated with staff bloat and vowed to cut the size of the CENTCOM staff, tasking his CoS to handle it.  When he relinquished command, he asked the CoS how successful they had been in accomplishing this goal.  As it turned out, they hadn't been successful at all, and manpower at HQ CENTCOM had swelled during his tenure.

I had heard a story that when Mattis took over at CENTCOM, he was infuriated with staff bloat and vowed to cut the size of the CENTCOM staff, tasking his CoS to handle it.  When he relinquished command, he asked the CoS how successful they had been in accomplishing this goal.  As it turned out, they hadn't been successful at all, and manpower at HQ CENTCOM had swelled during his tenure.

I like stories from anonymous sources the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, uhhello said:

There it is.  Love it.  Enjoy your "top 25" job.  

If you only knew what I did, but you don't. It's nice being in an organization that actual values their people and invests in them. Not uses them until they burn out. The benefits are great too. 

You can talk shit, go run to AFEF and tell them how you were the keyboard warrior of the day. But there are other people, on this board no less, who went through something similar I did and they supported me along the way.

Enjoy the sinking ship.

Edited by Azimuth

13 minutes ago, Azimuth said:

If you only knew what I did, but you don't. It's nice being in an organization that actual values their people and invests in them. Not uses them until they burn out. The benefits are great too. 

You can talk shit, go run to AFEF and tell them how you were the keyboard warrior of the day. But there are other people, on this board no less, who went through something similar I did.l and supported me along the way.

Enjoy the sinking ship.

Dude from day one you have been a big blue my Air Force cock is larger than yours.  You can't flip the script because you got dealt a apparently shitty hand.  Good luck in the future.  I'm out.