Hey guys,

Lots of info on this, but not exactly what I am looking for...

Have a couple of questions on pay and benefits:

It seems that ARTs go with the GS scale; is that fixed by my rank or the position itself? What step would I start with?

How much pay do most fighter guys get from the reserve side? (Which I understand to be in addition to ART pay.)

Flight pay?

BAH/BAS? (My research says no, but just checking...)

Health Care for the family? Looks like I could purchase for a price. (Should have cared more about Obamacare!)

Anything else that I am not considering?

Thanks in advance for the help/advice!

Crate

Edited by CrateOfThunder

There are a few ARTs on here, I'll be one in a few months. IPs usually start as a GS-13, most others GS-12s, check the 2181 series on OPM. It's a flat salary plus your part time work and that's it. Blue cross/shield is about $450 a month for a family, dental a bit more. Tell you the truth, it looks like a pay raise but remember, you pay for healthcare and your whole salary is taxed. Any GS-13 step 1s weigh in?

It seems that ARTs go with the GS scale; is that fixed by my rank or the position itself?

It is based on the position. You'll be a step 12 unless you're an IP, in which case you'll start at a GS-13 assuming the job is listed as "Airplane Flight Instructor". You could possibly start at a Step 3 if you have extra qual's (example: RTU unit and RTU IP experience), but it depends on the local unit policy.

What step would I start with with 6 years AD time?

See above.

How much pay do most fighter guys get from the reserve side?

Go to opm.gov, search pay tables and special salary rate, 2181 series, and it will break it down. searching 2181 also works

Flight pay?

yes, but only for days on a mil status: UTA (drill weekend, $21ish dollars per period, 2 per day), AT orders (21 per day, or what you are getting per month now if you get on orders >30days, AFTPs (same as UTA, limited to 36 per year, 12 per quarter).

BAH/BAS?

yes for >30 day orders

Health Care for the family?

Yes, opm.gov has the answers, click on health care tab for gov employees, will let you compare plans and list monthly or per paycheck expense.

Anything else that I am not considering?

The job you are considering should be advertise somewhere, ask the unit if you haven't been told where to find it. It will list a pay range. Ball park figures for ART pilots: $89-112K probably, the mil pay listed above is in addition to this figure.

It takes about a year to figure out the system, find an ART that's been in the system for a while and have them show you how to fill out a time sheet, an AFTP form, and log comp time. You also get 120 hours of mil leave per year where you can "double dip" and get paid ART pay while you are also on orders or logging and AFTP/UTA.

There is too much to type, the answers are in the Technician Handbook, which is probably available online. I've been an ART since '08 and still learning the system. It's not as easy as getting the DFAS direct deposit you've been used to on AD. It pays to always double check finance, they make mistakes frequently and often, especially in the world of two pay systems.

Edited by onetail

So pay raise, break even or pay drop from 10 year major? Possibly, from your post, it looks like it depends. And the big question, especially one tail, did you buy back your AD time? According to my VSP paperwork, I can't be an AGR, so should I buy it back?

It is based on the position. You'll be a step 12 unless you're an IP, in which case you'll start at a GS-13 assuming the job is listed as "Airplane Flight Instructor". You could possibly start at a Step 3 if you have extra qual's (example: RTU unit and RTU IP experience), but it depends on the local unit policy.

Since you're a pilot, you'll also receive a locality adjustment of 30% instead of the percentage listed on the opm.gov site--which can be quite nice :beer:

It takes about a year to figure out the system, find an ART that's been in the system for a while and have them show you how to fill out a time sheet, an AFTP form, and log comp time. You also get 120 hours of mil leave per year where you can "double dip" and get paid ART pay while you are also on orders or logging and AFTP/UTA.

Comp time and double dip. Haven't heard those in a while.

Interesting concepts considering the events on the hill the past few weeks.

According to my VSP paperwork, I can't be an AGR, so should I buy it back?

Really? That sucks.

Are there AGR positions in AFRES units? I thought they were getting rid of all those, at least at the unit level.

Naa Rain, my package says if I'm a title 10 for longer than 6 months they "can" start recouping the 6 figures they are giving me, good luck, left hand talking to the right. I expect them to take it back in retirement, maybe not, but I am prepared for an interest free loan. Luckily, state guad is title 32, I'll ask the pay folks at my ANG unit if I have any special codes or whatever attached to my pay. I'll pay it back if I have too. That being said, anyone read the latest airforcecrimes rag, looks like (at best) the part timers and active duty are matching retirement.

So pay raise, break even or pay drop from 10 year major? Possibly, from your post, it looks like it depends. And the big question, especially one tail, did you buy back your AD time? According to my VSP paperwork, I can't be an AGR, so should I buy it back?

Look on the OPM sight under special salary rate tables and look for table 0558. This is the GS-12 and GS-13 with 30% additional pay scale. Remember that ALL of your ART pay (minus the obvious healthcare deductions, 401K, etc.) are taxed as opposed to your 10 year Major pay which has a significant tax advantage. ARTs do get matching 401K though. As far as "double dipping," it is really no different than any other job that gives you paid leave. I can work 40 hrs per week and get paid for 40 hrs, or take some sort of leave (comp/credit/mil) and get "paid" my civilian salary on top of my military pay. I am still working the time or taking leave - nothing is truly free (except the 15 days of paid military leave each year). Some other civilian jobs have similar options. Double dipping is a misnomer. In reality, it is not getting paid twice for the same work - that is called dual compensation, is illegal, and is perhaps one of the FASTEST ways to lose a government job and go to prison.

$450 for BCBS Federal is a little high (usually closer to $250-300), but that also depends on where you are in the country. Federal employees (including ARTs) are INELIGIBLE for Tricare Reserve Select (those who qualify for another gov't sponsored healthcare plan... yadda yadda)

Buying back time... Good deal anyway you slice it. Caveat - you cannot take an AD retirement AND buy that time back. You CAN take a RESERVE retirement (i.e. 30 years of service with around 17 or 18 years worth of "points") AND take a civilian retirement that gives you credit for those points, but you cannot receive an AD annuity AND a FERS annuity that credits you the AD time. Best part up front with no buyback required = you get "credit" for your AD time towards your leave accrual rate (4, 6 or 8 hours leave per two week pay period) depending on your total time, which can accumulate up to 26 days paid vacation (not including weekends or federal holidays) per year. You can usually stretch that into about 6 or 7 weeks off per year if you plan correctly.

Example 1 - AD person with 15 years AD time, and 15 years of civil service time = 30 years of civil service time with buyback program

Example 2 - AD person with 25 years AD time, and 15 years of civil service time = AD annuity (immediately) and 15 year CS annuity upon reaching an eligible retirement age (depends on several factors - see OPM FERS retirement pamphlet for more info)

Example 3 - ARC person with 25 years ANG/AFRC time (15 years of AD "points") and 15 years of civil service = AFRC/ANG annuity (age 60), 25 years based on IDT and AD time combined (15 years of points - new math, squirrelly, I know) + 30 year CS retirement with buyback.

Bottom line = you cannot qualify for a full AD annuity/retirement AND count that time towards a simultaneous CS retirement. I think there is a way to convert your AD retirement to a Civil Service retirement by waiving the AD annuity, and thus being able to buy back all the AD time into CS time, but you'd have to contact the experts for that one. Here is a site with some good info. Adding an ARC retirement to a CS retirement is definitely the way to go if you are not really close to 20.

The FERS retirement also assumes different criteria. For example, AD gets roughly 2.5% per year of service as an annuity, immediately. Civil Service gets 1%, 1.4%, or 1.7% (depending on career field and length of time in that career field) per year + matching TSP. 20 years AD = 50% base pay; 20 years federal Law Enforcement = roughly 34% base pay + TSP + SS; 30 years ART = roughly 34% base pay + TSP and Social Security at the appropriate ages. Hard to beat an AD annuity if you can get one. Do the math.

ART is a good gig as far as civilian employment goes, but as you know everything has a cost/benefit.

Edited by Carpetbagger
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Are you married? Kids? If so, I recommend BC/BS. You can still do MSA for extra items like braces and boob jobs. Although mentioned earlier in the posts, ARTs are not eligible for Tricare Reserve Select.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a caveot with the FERS retirement, you must reach your MRA (Minimum Retirement Age) to get the good FERS retirement package. What I mean by this, is if they boot you out early, say with 28 years commissioned service and you are only 53, you do not qualify for the good retirement in the FERS system becuase you have failed to reach your MRA (which is based on the year born so i'm guessing its at least 57). So, when they boot you out of your Guardsman position, or non-retain you at 28 years commissioned service (which by the way is becoming standard for most guard units) and you lose your Air Tech job, you get the crappy FERS retirement. So that means no COLA until your 62, etc.

Good Luck, another reason to go to an airline or try to become an AGR.

28 years of commissioned service is called ROTMA, I they must let you go unless you made (pinned on) O-6.

No they don't, you can get a waiver, in the guard its up to your TAG, so its state dependent. ROTMA is for guys who have 7 years as a Major and need to make LtCol, it ultimately gets you an extra three years and the rank of LtCol if and a kick in the ass out the door after your three years are up.