AFI 36-2903 and dress/uniform regs and issues

HU&W

Has anyone ever seen a kilt incorporated into a service/mess dress for a dining out/ceremony?

Yep. My understanding (I've never seen the written rule) is that there are two "official" circumstances for wearing the mess dress w/ kilt instead of trousers:

1) Actively serving in a unit (via recognized exchange program) that has a kilt as part of their formal uniform

2) You have a bona fide family heraldry that includes a kilt, and the kilt you wear is appropriate to that Coat of Arms

#1 should be pretty easy, but only if you're in that postion (can't be very many of those); #2, I'd recommend more research before taking the plunge. As I say, it's only hearsay--for all I know, the guy explaining it to me was full of shit and just justifying his choice to kilt up his mess dress....

• 3 years later...

Shoe thread bump:

A coworker and I got in an argument today. I say that black, or white socks are authorized with a flight suit, due to:

8.8. Socks. Socks should be made of cotton or wool. White, black, desert tan/sand, or sage green socks may be worn with either the FDU or DFDU. For wear and description see applicable paragraphs 6.4.1.1, 6.4.1.2 and 6.4.1.3

He argues sage green only (assuming green bag), due to:

6.4.1.1. Socks (black). Socks will be plain without design, clean, and serviceable. Black socks will be worn with low quarters, dress boots and black jungle/combat boots. Plain white socks may be worn under the black socks as long as the white socks are not visible.

6.4.1.2. Socks (sage green). Sage green socks will be worn with the sage green or tan boots. Plain white socks may be worn under the sage green socks as long as the white socks are not visible.

6.4.1.3. Socks (white). White socks are worn with athletic shoes and may have small logos.

Thoughts...preferably with precedence and/or proof?

• Downvote 2

Shoe thread bump:

A coworker and I got in an argument today. I say that black, or white socks are authorized with a flight suit, due to:

8.8. Socks. Socks should be made of cotton or wool. White, black, desert tan/sand, or sage green socks may be worn with either the FDU or DFDU. For wear and description see applicable paragraphs 6.4.1.1, 6.4.1.2 and 6.4.1.3

6.4.1.1. Socks (black). Socks will be plain without design, clean, and serviceable. Black socks will be worn with low quarters, dress boots and black jungle/combat boots. Plain white socks may be worn under the black socks as long as the white socks are not visible.

6.4.1.2. Socks (sage green). Sage green socks will be worn with the sage green or tan boots. Plain white socks may be worn under the sage green socks as long as the white socks are not visible.

6.4.1.3. Socks (white). White socks are worn with athletic shoes and may have small logos.

I'm not overly familiar with the document, but is 8.8 the section on FDU? If that's the case, I'd ignore the part in 6.469 that doesn't deal with the FDU.

Technique only. And my eyes are burning now.

I'm not overly familiar with the document, but is 8.8 the section on FDU? If that's the case, I'd ignore the part in 6.469 that doesn't deal with the FDU.

Technique only. And my eyes are burning now.

Uhhh, you two need to get a hobby...maybe drinking

Sorry, I went back and read the original post, .... those shoes need to get a hobby. Working mids and it's been a long night. 

Edited by HerkFE
I'm stupid
  • Upvote 1

Shoe thread bump:

Serious question:  how would anyone know what color socks you're wearing with a flight suit, outside of a locker room environment or something?

Shoe thread bump:

I hate that I am even wasting 6-9 seconds to answer this, but 8.8 seems to describe what socks can be worn in general, whereas 6.4.1 describes in detail what socks go with what boots/shoes.  8.8 even states "For wear and description see applicable paragraphs 6.4.1...", so I'd say the correct answer is green for bags.

Seppuku time.

• Upvote 1

Shoe thread bump:

What the hell is wrong with you and your "coworker"?

• Upvote 1

Wear of socks on hands is not authorized in 6.4.1 or 8.8.  Report to the nearest Chief for remediation.

• Upvote 8

• 1 year later...