CGO PME undergoes transformation

GoAround

Just heard about this today at the sq...sweet, now with 75 days home per rotation it's now literally impossible to do SOS in that time block when you factor in CTO and re-deployment spin-up. That should be good for our careers...

At least ASBC went away, :salut: on that one Big Blue!

That article is chock o block full of WTF quotes.

The air and space basic course at Air University here will transfer portions of its content to the squadron officer school in-residence program, and the final group of lieutenants will graduate ASBC this summer.

How would you like to be part of THAT class. "Well, we've determined that this course adds no value, but we can't stop the bureaucracy on a dime, so you all still have to attend. See you in 4 years for the extended SOS"

"ASBC has been a success," said Col. Terrance McCaffrey, the SOC commandant. "It accomplished the mission for which it was created back in the 1990s. As a direct result of ASBC, today's officer corps now collectively embraces the warrior ethos, reflects an expeditionary mindset, better comprehends 'the family business' and is more adept at articulating what our Air Force brings to the fight."

This program is so awesome we are going to cancel it. Wait, what?

Upon discontinuation of the ASBC program, those instructors and staff members currently assigned to the school will transition from teaching duties to developing curriculum for the transformed SOS.

Because we totally think that the material we used on brand new 2LTs will still be relevant for mid-grade Captains.

Eight weeks?!? The five week course only had about two weeks worth of actual work and now they're going to stretch it out another three weeks! They should just make it nine months, add a masters degree, and make it a PCS. Oh, wait, there's already a school there like that...

Imagine how much harder it will be for guys to not punch their flight in the face (that was my one and only goal there) when they have to deal with them for another three weeks.

• Upvote 1

As I'm planning on getting out at the 10 year commitment, what happens if I decline to go in residence?

Why wait for in-res selection? Go tell your CC on Monday you're not going. Then come back here and tell us what he said.

Guest STOLSOONER!

Amazing how we recreate the wheel over and over again....Not all the way back to 14 weeks but adding two weeks is a step towards the past.

At least now the pretenders will have to keep up their game a bit longer to steal a DG

Prediction....in 5-7 years we will cut it back to 6...

Edited by STOLSOONER!

What if we could hold the whole course online, using emerging internet technology like blackboard and such. Then a majority of people wouldn't even have to physically go TDY to Maxwell and could complete the course much faster. This would allow for greater ops tempo back in the operational squadrons, less man-hours lost due to travel and etc., and thousands saved in travel costs! Man, I'm gonna submit an AFSO21 proposal ASAP...

What if we could hold the whole course online, using emerging internet technology like blackboard and such. Then a majority of people wouldn't even have to physically go TDY to Maxwell and could complete the course much faster. This would allow for greater ops tempo back in the operational squadrons, less man-hours lost due to travel and etc., and thousands saved in travel costs! Man, I'm gonna submit an AFSO21 proposal ASAP...

Then they'll make you do the SOS test-based correspondence to prove your capable of doing the SOS blackboard correspondence which will have to be completed prior to the select few doing the new super-select SOS in-residence course.

So let me get this straight…..ASBC twice, SOS twice, Masters twice. I like the message the Air Force continues to send to our mid-level Captains about leadership: You always get two chances to get it right.

- “Wait a second, did you really get everything out of ASBC that you were supposed to? No? Here, enjoy an extra 3 weeks at Shoe Flag while we cover the material again.“

- “Are you sure SOS in correspondence was useful in developing your leadership skills? No? Well here, we'll send you to Maxwell to try your hand at flickerball just in case.”

- “Did your graduate degree adequately develop your reading/writing ability, interpersonal skills and professional competence? No? Here, take a year and go to school again.”

Can you imagine if flying operations were run like this happy horseshit??? ...You go to UPT twice, IFF twice, do your FLUG and IPUG upgrades twice, and in every EP sim they make you do all the Boldface twice just to make sure you really know it. No. This isn't the fucking special olympics. You either sink or swim on the first try. (And if the first attempt [i.e. correspondence or online degrees] doesn’t fully meet the intent, then stop wasting our time and fix it until it does or come up with an alternative.)

This is negative training of the worst sort, and on a large scale. The Air Force is squandering the opportunity in each of these courses to teach one of the most fundamental aspects of military leadership: How to prepare and how to bring your A-game; how to get it right the first time. Leaders, especially in combat, don’t get to take a mulligan, call “Do over!” or get handed second chances to learn how to lead.

Shak....Shack!

• Upvote 2

So SOS will "...stand down temporarily..." from September 11' until the course "...debuts early in 2012." But "...the revised course is completed and made available by June 2012."

That means SOS (or perhaps only the NEW, IMPROVED SOS) won't be available from Oct 11' to May 12' in other words Eight months down is temporary?

Oh BTW - this is one of the fights that Gen Welsh talked about...alphabet school being combined w/ Shoe flag into an absurd length b/c all they did was mash the curriculum's together. Air University said it was necessary to "incorporate" the necessary learning objectives. If I remember correctly we had a USAF aircraft vis-recce test at ASBC...wonder if it will transfer?

This is ridiculous. If the intent is to merge ASBC and SOS, then wait at least 4 years until todays butterbars are at the very least, at the beginning of their eligibility for SOS in res so troops don't have to re-learn info, causing inefficiencies. The worst part is, the AU guys are hailed as budgetary gods because they are saving 12 Million a year....what about the $69M you cost the taxpayers over the last 5-6 years since you started ASBC? Self licking ice cream cone.

Edited by Whitman
  • Upvote 1

As I'm planning on getting out at the 10 year commitment, what happens if I decline to go in residence?

If you are me, you still get a DP to O-4 and move merrily along your career. I suppose it may mean I don't get 2 below to LtCol, but like you said, I know I am done before that really matters, so why go to that crap?

Just remember though...once you make your bed, you better be ready to lay in it!

• Upvote 1

FML, I was privileged to go through the extended ASBC 6 week course, now I get to go through the extended SOS 8 week course in a few years. Hopefully the AF will self destruct or something before that time comes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

"As a direct result of ASBC, today's officer corps now collectively embraces the warrior ethos, reflects an expeditionary mindset, better comprehends 'the family business' and is more adept at articulating what our Air Force brings to the fight."

Retarded. At ASBC I learned about shoes and that the best way to utilize a failure of an officer is to make them babysit LTs.

HOSS nailed it. It is ridiculous that we have to accomplish everything that is worthless twice; only to learn that it is twice as worthless the second time around. What does the CSAF preach? Efficiency. Re-doing time wasting queep over and over again is the exact opposite of efficient.

I wish I could have avoided ASBC and now regret doing SOS-C.

FML, I was privileged to go through the extended ASBC 6 week course, now I get to go through the extended SOS 8 week course in a few years. Hopefully the AF will self destruct or something before that time comes.

If you're lucky enough you'll go through SOS-BC after it merges with Tops in Blue's IQT. You'll be the most badass warrior... ever.

Tops-In-Blue.jpg