Last Beer You Drank and Rate It

Masshole

• 3 weeks later...

On Tusker: Had my first one in the Intercontinental lobby in Nairobi at about 2am after fvcking around with a broke ass airplane for about 5 hours at the end of a long day. Wasn't sure if the beer was really that good or if it was just the circumstances around it that just made it better. I agree 100% with polcat

Edited by HerkFE

On Tusker: Had my first one in the Intercontinental lobby in Nairobi at about 2am after fvcking around with a broke ass airplane for about 5 hours at the end of a long day. Wasn't sure if the beer was really that good or if it was just the circumstances around it that just made it better. I agree 100% with polcat

Tusker is a great beer!

• 1 month later...

Sam Adams "Little White Rye" is pretty good. It is brewed with orange peel and coriander. I normally don't care for flavors and spices added to my beer but this one is good.

Hit up a few breweries in Durango recently. Durango Brewing Company, Steamworks Brewing, and my favorite...SKA!

Durango Brewing Co.

Blueberry Wheat - I don't like fruity beers, so I just had a sample since they were pushing as if they could convince me otherwise. I guess it wasn't all that bad, not super sweet or a glass of carbonated blueberry juice. My wife liked it...so there ya go

Durango Pale Ale - seemed like your average pale ale. Nothing really stood out.

Steamworks Brewing Co.

Colorado Kölsch - pretty decent Kölsch. Crisp, light, very easy to drink.

Lizard Head Red - nice red, bit more kick from hops than most reds with a good malty taste.

Ska Brewing

Mexican Logger - summer in a can. light lager, refreshing, could throw these back all day. Don't put a lime in it.

Decadent Imperial IPA - ever wonder what it would be like if a bushel of hops kicked down every tastebud in your mouth? Well here ya go.

True Blonde Dubbel - an ok dubbel, slight sour aftertaste

Vernal Minthe Stout - Suprisingly good, I expected some minty abomination here. Just the slightest touch of sweetness in this sout. Good session beer.

Lip up fatty!

Our terrible beer selection in the Class VI here in Korea is supplemented by a "guest" beer about once a week or two. We've been seeing uninspiring choices lately, like Miller High Life or Tecate (really?). But buoyed by the memory of when they sold Leffe for $28.40 a case about a year ago, I go by to check every couple of days.

Imagine my surprise when on Sunday they had cases of Chimay Blue and Chimay White on display. It wasn't cheap, but it was about 1/4 the price you'd pay trying to find it on the economy in Korea, and a little less than half what I've seen most recently in the US. Monthly beer ration = expended. The manager personally thanked me for spending so much money in his store.

I can't say enough about the Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue). It gives me such a contented, joyous feeling. A more than welcome respite in the land of Hite, Cass, etc. I hope you enjoy it as much.

• 2 weeks later...

Our terrible beer selection in the Class VI here in Korea is supplemented by a "guest" beer about once a week or two. We've been seeing uninspiring choices lately, like Miller High Life or Tecate (really?). But buoyed by the memory of when they sold Leffe for $28.40 a case about a year ago, I go by to check every couple of days.

Imagine my surprise when on Sunday they had cases of Chimay Blue and Chimay White on display. It wasn't cheap, but it was about 1/4 the price you'd pay trying to find it on the economy in Korea, and a little less than half what I've seen most recently in the US. Monthly beer ration = expended. The manager personally thanked me for spending so much money in his store.

I can't say enough about the Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue). It gives me such a contented, joyous feeling. A more than welcome respite in the land of Hite, Cass, etc. I hope you enjoy it as much.

I bought a case of this in Germany recently and most definitely second this as one of the best beers around. I felt stupid buying something in Europe they sell here, but at 4.50 Euros for two I couldn't pass it up.

Russian River Brewing Company: Pliny the Elder (IPA)

Rate: 10/10

From the bottle: "Pliny the Elder, born in 23AD, was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Pliny and his contemporaries created the original botanical name for hops, "Lupus Salictarius" meaning "wolf among scrubs." Hop vines at that time grew wild among willows, likened to wolves roaming wild in the forest. Pliny the Elder died in 79AD while saving people during the eruption of Mt Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle's legacy by documenting much if what his uncle experienced during the eruption of Mt Vesuvius. This beer is an homage to the man who discovered hops and perished while being a humanitarian."

To Pliny, cheers!

Out

Had a Third Shift Amber Lager. Its made by Coors, but it was not bad. The Class 6 on post here had it. It's around the same price as Shiner. It was not bad for a macro lager.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sam Adam's Octoberfest (seasonal) is on the shelf, in my fridge, and stockpiling in my basement. Good stuff. In eight days I will be in Munich drinking something good and, hopefully, will have something to contribute to the German chicks thread. Nine days from now....Prague and Czech beer. I will be sure to file a trip report.

I bought a case of this in Germany recently and most definitely second this as one of the best beers around. I felt stupid buying something in Europe they sell here, but at 4.50 Euros for two I couldn't pass it up.

The local Costco for me has the big Chimay Grande Reserve bottles (blue) for $10, which is the cheapest in town. Not a bad deal for .750 L of one of the best beers around. I also tried the Chimay Red the other day, and I don't think it holds a candle to the blue. Make sure you use a big chalice to let the air hit it and to smell the fruits and flavors.