PCS weigh-in

Searched the forum and google but can't find the answer to my question...

We just PCS'ed to Pensacola and did a full DITY move. My wife drove my truck behind me and I drove a 26ft Penske truck with her car on a car trailer. I weighed my rig on the way down at a certified scale, etc with her car on the trailer (3 axles total). We are staying in a hotel so all of our stuff is still in the truck. Do I need to get the Penske truck weighed without the car trailer and her car on it or can I just have it weighed empty with her car on it and TMO does the difference in weight? Seems logical but I don't want to get hosed.

Hopefully someone knows the answer as I need to know ASAP. Thanks guys!

What you wrote maybe isn't entirely clear.

When you started, you should have gotten the empty weight of the big truck and trailer without anything on it. Once it was loaded with all your crap and your wife's car, there's your full weight. I'm not an expert so IDK what the regs say on transporting vehicles if that counts just as part of your total weight moved or what but to me, those are the weights you need to determine how much crap you hauled.

I just moved and what they had me do was weigh the Uhaul truck empty, with a full tank of gas; then weigh the Uhaul truck packed(a whopping 2500 lbs) with a full tank of gas. The gentleman at the weigh station on base told me I couldn't weigh with the car dolly or car attached. The gentleman at TMO also informed me that including a trailer/car is not allowed with the weighing. Also keep in mind that you will not be reimbursed for the rental of the trailer for your vehicle.

I'm not suggesting this in any way, but that full tank of gas is totally optional...I'm just sayin'...

My gripe at the weight station was they made me take my dog out of the car because he was "moving around" and it threw off the measurement. I said BS, I hauled his heavy ass all the way across the country! Anyways, GL man.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

If you truly believe the full tank is optional...someday you may have to ask yourself if that extra 100 lbs was worth it.

Worth what? Lighten up francis.

I'm not gonna purposefully not fill it up, but I'm not making an extra stop at the gas station just to top it off. Same goes for when I weight it full, not gonna stop at the gas station with a truck full of my sh*t and pulling a car on a trailer. It all comes out in the wash man.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There is a difference between "is it on the F" and "is the tank fully topped off." Anyone with half a brain can easily see that fully topped off is a theoretical max that you can never actually reach. However, what you were implying was completely dishonest. Am I going to stop for gas before weighing in empty if the needle is not on F? Yes. Am I going to stop for gas after driving a few miles to pick up all my stuff and driving back to weigh in full? No. Unless the needle has come off the F significantly.

Playing the gas game for a few extra cents per pound per mile is just as retarded as the guys who try to move bricks or cinder blocks with their DITY goods. If you're "not going to suggest" but just tell people something illegal is "ok" you could screw someone over who didn't know better. Just sayin'...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

I'm not suggesting this in any way, but that full tank of gas is totally optional...I'm just sayin'...

My gripe at the weight station was they made me take my dog out of the car because he was "moving around" and it threw off the measurement. I said BS, I hauled his heavy ass all the way across the country! Anyways, GL man.

The tank has to be the same each time it's weighed. Otherwise, it's called FRAUD nsplayer. Not saying, but I'm just saying.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is nice though, if you own your own trailer, you get to count the total weight of the filled trailer for your weight. (eg, I went and weighted my SUV all empty, then after I filled it with stuff, loaded up the trailer, then I weighed it all together. Paid for the trailer like 3xs over.

There are some other little restrictions on the size of said trailer...but it sure did make it nice!

Seriously 3 holer. Is your shtick just an act to push our buttons?

Sometimes I push buttons. In this particular case, I am 100% serious as there are really ######ing stupid people who would use the excuse "but I read it on..." to justify why they defrauded the government. To me, it is worth it to make sure I have a legit weigh-in once every three or so years...to others it may not matter so much, but they should always be careful of what they imply and how the grade A morons of the world will see it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So how do you guys do this; I've done it twice as follows:

Rent truck from rental place, drive to weight station. That is your gas full weight. Drive truck home, fill with sh*t. Drive to weight station. That is your full of stuff weight.

Am I missing something here? The OP needed an ASAP response to getting his PCS weights figured out and that's what I offered up. The way I do it is both faster than constantly stopping at the gas station and, bonus, it ensures the government pays me *less* than what I would be due if I had filled up my tank just prior to weigh-in each time.

Like 3-holer said before, you're gonna max gain like 200 lbs from trying to game the system so really there's no point when I'm hauling way more weight than that. Save yourself some time is what I was "implying." I've literally seen dudes fretting over "well the tank said XX before and now it says XX;" for f*cks sake weight the truck and get on the road.

Note: My comments here are not responsible for dumb people and their actions :bash:

Edited by nsplayr

Yeah, I can see your point 3 H.

I've done quite a few partial DITYs. We did a big one last summer and I was stunned how little the DOD is compensating us for it these days. I loved loading the truck on a 100 degree day too.

Take your time, be safe, and keep your figures legit.

Heck with driving a Budget truck across the states, just use www.upack.com and they will drop off an ABF trailer at your house. You pay by linear feet not weight and they will haul it to wherever you PCS too. You have 3 days to load not including drop off day or weekends and 3 days to unload.

wow, lots of responses between the time i posted and my first access to the intranetz.

some might think i did it backwards, hell, maybe i did but others ive talked to here at pcola said it doesnt really make a difference whether you weigh it full or empty first, as long as you have the two weights. on the way down from charlotte to pcola, i stopped to fill up the truck, and after a full tank, i had it weighed. that is my full weight. this weigh in DID include my wife's car and trailer and all that crap she had in her car.

after unloading the truck yesterday, i took it to the weigh station/fuel. i filled up the tank and pulled onto the scale with her car in tow. this time her car was completely empty. maybe you arent suppose to weigh vehicles on these. however, in no way was it used to defraud the govt. some simple math between the full weight and empty weight of her car and trailer shows about 100 lbs. as far as they know, i had a 3,000 lb trailer with 150 lbs of items in it and it was weighed full and empty.

someone mentioned you would not be reimbursed for the car trailer, which i think is a bunch of crap. my orders say im authorized 2 vehicles. well, most married couples have two vehicles. however, we also have a moving truck in this situation, so they are only going to pay for two vehicles in fuel and mileage, so obviously the third car has to be on a trailer being towed. oh well, whatever.

thoughts on my chick's car on the trailer and it being weighed? again, i dont think it will make much difference, and if it does, ill take the heat for it. its my first PCS, i got little to no support with questions at my ANG base before leaving, and the trailer is already empty and been returned so its a little late now to fix the stuff.

It's not the correct way to do it, but it's also the best way to un###### your prior weigh in mistake as you had already unloaded the truck. I would expect no troubles from the finance people. But now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Edit: the more correct way to fix your mistake would have been to pay for a new full weight of just the truck and stuff, minus the trailer and car, then unload and reweigh for the empty.

Edited by ThreeHoler

You only get the weight of your household goods. No cars, car dolly's, RV's, campers, etc. Also the reg changed a few years back on trailers you own. Only small single axle trailers can be considered in your weight, multi axle car/bike trailers you don't get weight credit for - cost's too much I guess for them to pay for 3000 extra pounds.

So here is a question about this. I PCS soon and we have two cars, and we were thinking of doing a partial DITY but only using our two cars and just filling them up as much as we can with the stuff we don't want the movers touching. Would we weigh our cars empty and then filled up or does the government not pay for that? Would it even be worth it to do that?

So here is a question about this. I PCS soon and we have two cars, and we were thinking of doing a partial DITY but only using our two cars and just filling them up as much as we can with the stuff we don't want the movers touching. Would we weigh our cars empty and then filled up or does the government not pay for that? Would it even be worth it to do that?

Good question, and this is exactly what I was alluding to in my question, essentially. Utilizing your POV to carry HHGs is no problem. I think for a partial DITY you would do just that, weigh full and empty. I THINK with a partial DITY, you are allowed to carry up to 500 lbs, and beyond that, it should be packed with the movers and they ship it. Just what I've heard. Might be wrong.

You only get the weight of your household goods. No cars, car dolly's, RV's, campers, etc. Also the reg changed a few years back on trailers you own. Only small single axle trailers can be considered in your weight, multi axle car/bike trailers you don't get weight credit for - cost's too much I guess for them to pay for 3000 extra pounds.

Ok, if this is the case, I would be good. My third axle (trailer and car) was something like 4,550 lbs. When unloaded, that axle weighed around 4,500 lbs. So unless finance can't do the math (I wouldn't be surprised if they can't), I would not be asking for/getting any weight credit for the car or trailer.

Man, this would have been alot easier if I would have just done it the RIGHT way, huh? :bash:

I THINK with a partial DITY, you are allowed to carry up to 500 lbs, and beyond that, it should be packed with the movers and they ship it. Just what I've heard. Might be wrong.

Any source for that? After a quick scan through JFTR Ch 5 Part D, I could not find any limits as to any max weight limits for partial DITYs. Careful throwing around WOMs. People spreading incorrect WOMs, combined with laziness, is why many TMOs will not ship booze even though it is generally allowed by law.

Good question, and this is exactly what I was alluding to in my question, essentially. Utilizing your POV to carry HHGs is no problem. I think for a partial DITY you would do just that, weigh full and empty. I THINK with a partial DITY, you are allowed to carry up to 500 lbs, and beyond that, it should be packed with the movers and they ship it. Just what I've heard. Might be wrong.

I don't think there is a limit on a partial dity unless it's changed in the past few years. As far as I know you can take as much as you want. I have done this several times with my motorcycle and trailer and it's always been a few thousand lbs.

There is no limit to the partial DITY. The pay scale is all based on "saving the government money in moving costs" by moving some or all of it yourself. However, unless it has changed in the last three years, carrying 999 lbs of HHG will net you more money than carrying over 1,000 due to the way the incentives are set up.

Edit: You'd have to look in the JFTR to see what, if any, the restrictions on multiple cars is, as I have yet to make a married move. You should also be able to get all this information from your TMO brief when you go in to set up your partial DITY.

Man, this would have been alot easier if I would have just done it the RIGHT way, huh? :bash:

It would have been a lot easier if your support personnel had provided the appropriate level of support. Although, it does highlight a life lesson for all of us...as much as it sucks, we need to be able to go to the source documents because the shoe clerks generally suck at their jobs. I would have been shorted over $6,000 in PCS moves so far had I not gone to the JFTR and AFIs and pointed out finance's royal ######ups with the PCS allowances.

Edited by ThreeHoler