Medical to Pilot...how to?

Guest Jonathan

Guest Jonathan

I am a medical officer with 3 years in and want to switch fields to become a pilot. I am already commissioned before my 29th birthday (I'm 28 now). Can anyone assist? I have called AFPC and my functional and they either say they've never heard of it, or that I'd lose rank (don't mind)--and still no help after that. I am seeing if anyone knows anything else in order to help me out and if it were even worth my while with only a few hours of pilot training and ground school knocked out.

Phone numbers, e-mails, or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am a medical officer with 3 years in and want to switch fields to become a pilot. I am already commissioned before my 29th birthday (I'm 28 now). Can anyone assist? I have called AFPC and my functional and they either say they've never heard of it, or that I'd lose rank (don't mind)--and still no help after that. I am seeing if anyone knows anything else in order to help me out and if it were even worth my while with only a few hours of pilot training and ground school knocked out.

Thanks

Depends on a number of factors, but it is doable. Read this AFI first.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI36-2205.pdf

After doing a search (Command+F on Mac and Ctrl+F on PC) for "Medical" this popped up.

"1.2.6. Officers of the Biomedical Sciences Corps (BSC), Medical Service Corps (MSC), or Nurse Corps (NC) must submit a written request for transfer to the Line of the Air Force and indicate they understand and accept the possibility of appointment to a lower grade and a date of rank adjustment. Sign and date it the transfer request and submit it with the application. Transfers become effective on the date flying training is entered. Individuals eliminated from flying training may or may not be returned to the previous AFSC, depending on the needs of the Air Force."

I am willing to help in any and all ways on this one if you are fully committed to the process. A few things to start doing as soon as possible.

1. Retake the AFOQT. If your scores are not in the high 80s or 90s, I would study for a month or two, and retake it.

2. Schedule yourself for the TBAS test. Since it is new, you will have to retake this one anyway, even if you took the old BAT test. You will not have an official PCSM score until this happens.

3. Start your FCI physical. My process went like this...I had to call public health and get them to do a records review. I called them twice a week until that process was complete and they scheduled me for my FCI. That part took more than one day, so keep on top of your medical. Since you work there, it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

4. Start Flying ASAP. This really should be number one since it seems that most of the people I have advised in this process don't view it as very important. I went down to AFPC the first time I applied (got picked up on round 2) and asked the folks working in the DPAO office what I needed to do to be competitive. I was told that 100+ hours was the magic number, but I would at least get your PPL and some additional hours. This will determine if you really enjoy flying, and if it is a future that you want to have. Keep in mind that Civilian aviation is different, and I would not get your instrument rating, as it could give you some bad habits for military flight, but that is not always the case.

5. Finish a Masters/PME/anything else that can make you competitive. You might be a Doctor, I don't know, but every little bit helps. The board looks at different things every year, but I believe the common theme is the "whole person" concept.

Another great resource is this website's AD pilot slot forums and this website: http://wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResources/ActiveDutyPilotSlot/tabid/66/Default.aspx.

PM me with any other questions.

Good luck Jonathan - as turn about is fair play, do you have any advice for a flyer trying to get into the medical field? As I understand it, if accepted, they pay for your med school and then AFTER your residency you owe them 4 years. Do you have any advice? I'm finishing my pre-med courses and studying for the MCAT...thanks for any tips.

Guest Jonathan

Good luck Jonathan - as turn about is fair play, do you have any advice for a flyer trying to get into the medical field? As I understand it, if accepted, they pay for your med school and then AFTER your residency you owe them 4 years. Do you have any advice? I'm finishing my pre-med courses and studying for the MCAT...thanks for any tips.

PirateAF,

It really depends on which program you get picked up for--HPSP, NECP, PA, etc. If you can nab an HPSP slot, your on the right thought process as you mentioned.

A couple years old, but still holds true with a bonus: http://www.aetc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123094612

advice for a flyer trying to get into the medical field?

Are you a pilot? There's still the "pilot-physician" exception to the Line of the Air Force requirements. I haven't seen one in several years, but back in the day, we had a flight doc who flew in the seat as a pilot with us....

• 8 years later...
On 6/25/2011 at 6:03 AM, Guest Jonathan said:

Thanks

So I know this is an old post, but I was an HPSP student, went to medical school for a semester and it was very much so not for me. Always wanted to be a pilot growing up, so when I found out I could get LASIK and fly, I was stoked and did that. Now it's been 2.5 yrs of trying to get my transition to AD pilot training sorted out. Any advise or update as to how your process went? The big issue has I guess been them figuring out how to process a IRR switch to AD for whatever reasons.