NOV. AFRC Board

I know the board is still quite a few months away, but I am curious if anyone can shed some light on this for me. I have been sponsored by a unit and have been told that the boards are continually getting more and more competitive so I am wondering if anyone could give me an idea of my chances.

GPA 3.0

Pilot 97

Nav 72

Verb 62

AA 62

Quan 58

PCSM 97

Flight time - 5,000TT / 3,900 Jet time

Currently an regional airline pilot flying 85-90 hours a month, CFI CFII MEI, I have worked with habitat for humanity projects, I worked numerous charity events, president of my aviation fraternity in college, worked 3 jobs while in college.

Edited by bcpilot99

Guest lbzrider14

I don't think anyone can give you an honest answer based on what you provided. I'm sure there are way more factors that play into being selected, mainly AFR availability. They use to select like 99 percent of people who met the board I've been told, but the last board was different.

I don't think anyone can give you an honest answer based on what you provided. I'm sure there are way more factors that play into being selected, mainly AFR availability. They use to select like 99 percent of people who met the board I've been told, but the last board was different.

There we go I tried to fix it a little.

No idea bro. Getting sponsored used to be the real battle but the previous board changed that. It will be interesting to see what happened in June, that should give you a good sense as to how the boards are trending. I'm hoping that the disaster board was an anomaly since I am hoping to make it to the November board though I have no idea if I will be trying for UNT or just getting a commission in any AFSC at this point.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest fly4free

Hey all, i am new to this and am looking to any tid bits of advice. Especially where i can apply for sponsors. I know thats a competetive field to be giving advice but i am no rookie to rejection. I just found out that my native base is backed up with applicants since the last board because they were only slotted one seat by afrc. And they sent three applicants. I have some insight on things like that so if anyone has questions, fire away. As for the guy with 4k hours, how old are you? Because your stats are good but age is a touchy subject.

Another twist to consider. From my understanding, the reason the June board was so competitive was because they "pushed" alot of packages who were suppose to go to the previous September (consequently November) board.

Are they now allowing carry over from this June board to compete in the next board? If they aren't, and it was a one time thing to push the packages, then we can HOPE that it will go back to how it was in that the # of applicants that reached the board was very close to the # of allocated slots....

I don't see AFRC allowing what happened in June to be the norm. That would be wasting alot of unit's money, time, effort, and resources vs the old method.

Then again, from my 3 yrs as an officer on AD, I have learned that the common sense approach is usually the first thing stripped from the OPLAN....

Another twist to consider. From my understanding, the reason the June board was so competitive was because they "pushed" alot of packages who were suppose to go to the previous September (consequently November) board.

Are they now allowing carry over from this June board to compete in the next board? If they aren't, and it was a one time thing to push the packages, then we can HOPE that it will go back to how it was in that the # of applicants that reached the board was very close to the # of allocated slots....

I don't see AFRC allowing what happened in June to be the norm. That would be wasting alot of unit's money, time, effort, and resources vs the old method.

Then again, from my 3 yrs as an officer on AD, I have learned that the common sense approach is usually the first thing stripped from the OPLAN....

The June and March boards have left me hoping a lot but I am starting to think we are seeing a new trend where the units are sponsoring those applicants they need and sending to the boards but AFRC is selecting only top-tier applicants. Is it a funding issue? Maybe. It cannot be a manning issue since the recruiter and the units I've talked with have all told me they have a serious need. Granted I am a nav applicant, but my point is that the Reserve has always been more open for applicants than the Guard and AD, IMHO. I really hope we can get back to the point where the unit's sponsorship was the key and that the boards respected the unit's ability to weed out bad applicants prior to getting to the boards.

A thought did cross my mind just now. Is it possible that the Reserve is bracing for a possible flood of AD officers who are planning to punch out once their commitment is done?

Guest AF_Jhawk

I've been sponsored by a unit for an ABM position, the individual who has been my POC has assured me that they have never had an issue not getting their selectees through the board. I'm not sure if this is because it's an ABM position or something else. When it come to the rated board are all rated positions thrown together or do Pilots compete against pilots, Navs against Navs, and ABMs again ABMs? November still seems a ways away but I'm sure it'll be here before we know it.

Hey all, i am new to this and am looking to any tid bits of advice. Especially where i can apply for sponsors. I know thats a competetive field to be giving advice but i am no rookie to rejection. I just found out that my native base is backed up with applicants since the last board because they were only slotted one seat by afrc. And they sent three applicants. I have some insight on things like that so if anyone has questions, fire away. As for the guy with 4k hours, how old are you? Because your stats are good but age is a touchy subject.

I am 26 years old.

Guest fly4free

I am 26 years old.

Dude, your a golden goose egg. Just keep at it. I wish I had all your stats,experience, and age, I would be knocking on ever door I could to get a job.

Toto: "A thought did cross my mind just now. Is it possible that the Reserve is bracing for a possible flood of AD officers who are planning to punch out once their commitment is done?"

Well, the unit I am trying to get picked up with is actually having the opposite problem. They were expecting more AD dudes to switch to the reserves and the guys just aren't coming off AD....

Toto: "A thought did cross my mind just now. Is it possible that the Reserve is bracing for a possible flood of AD officers who are planning to punch out once their commitment is done?"

Well, the unit I am trying to get picked up with is actually having the opposite problem. They were expecting more AD dudes to switch to the reserves and the guys just aren't coming off AD....

Is the unit you are trying to go to looking for Nav applicants? :thumbsup: That is an interesting observation, though, is it due to the uncertainty of the economy still or something different? I figured all the talk I have seen on the other boards here about VSP and the airlines hiring would have translated into manning gold for the Reserve.

^^ Sorry man, no NAV spots unless you would want to compete for a pilot slot. Keep in mind, I didn't try to dig into too much detail, it was just stated to me that they aren't pulling the # of mid-level dudes (think IP's, AC's, etc) that they thought would come.

My guess is yeah, the airlines might of started hiring again, but last I heard, they aren't paying near the levels they used to pay for experienced AF pilots. I could be completely wrong on that but thats from talking to a few of my buddies who are AD pilots and have recently looked into going civilian.....

This unit also really prefers hiring for the long haul and internally so maybe there just aren't enough guys that they feel would stick with the unit for the long term.

Guest AF_Jhawk

I spoke with my recruiter today to make sure I didn't need to send him anything else. He told me he had received everything and that my commissioning scroll had been sent off to be signed. Is this normal? I know I've been told that the board is a formality but I was under the impression that there really isn't a guarantee. Just curious why they'd go through the effort to get the scroll signed before I've been through the board.

• 1 month later...
Guest turboprop8771

I'm shooting for the November board, and I was curious if anyone had heard whether a certified FCI would be required prior to the 31 Oct deadline. I'm going to Wright-Patt 3 Oct; from reading this forum, it seems like it takes a month or so to receive the certified FC1. It would be pretty disappointing to miss the cut-off by a few days. I was hired last December, and the anticipation of moving forward is slowly killing me.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tbrown85

Everyone here in on the Nov board? I am a repeat offender, alternate on the last board, hopefully this is my time! Package deadlines I'm sure is the end of this month, any new news concerning this board?

Guest AF_Jhawk

I'm hopefully in on this board, first time. I spoke with my recruiter this morning, it sounds like everything is gonna be in on time but he's been MIA the last week so it's been hard to get in touch with him with the exception of email. I'm applying for an ABM spot, already been picked up and sponsored by a unit, so just have to make sure the board agrees with them. I'm not sure, but even though this is a rated board will I still be competing against pilots and navs or just others who have submitted for ABMs? I know as far as the unit that hired me, I'm their only selection so that helps me relax knowing they didn't write anyone but me a recommendation.

Everyone here in on the Nov board? I am a repeat offender, alternate on the last board, hopefully this is my time! Package deadlines I'm sure is the end of this month, any new news concerning this board?

A repeat , what aircraft? what are your scores? What happened in June? Jw what to expect

Edited by bcpilot99

Guest tbrown85

A repeat , what aircraft? what are your scores? What happened in June? Jw what to expect

C-17's. I didn't have my private on the last board, the 3 squadrons at chs expected to have 2 slots a piece, ended up only getting 1 slot a piece. My pcsm is an 89 with 63 flying hours and now my ppl.

I got a question for all you guys that got sponsored for the NOV AFRC board. I'm trying to get sponsored for the June boards. I have been talking to two squadrons specifically. The hurdle I am trying to get over is I need a Moral Waiver. Every reserve recruiter told me not to even try, but I told both pilots in charge of the boards in the squadrons I have been talking to and they told me to apply. They seem to be open to letting me interview, and if I get sponsored they'd be willing to do the leg work for the waiver.

Basically, the question I am asking, has anyone heard of a Moral Waiver approved at the AFRC level after the Wing Commander signs off?

• Upvote 1

Guest AF_Jhawk

Throwing this out there to see if anyone else has an idea:

Just found out that my recruiter with apparently every other recruiter in the reserves is at an annual conference this week. I've been trying to reach my recruiter for the last few days with no luck. I'm hoping he sent everything off but I'm not sure. I had an issue with my flight physical that caused a delay. Anyone know anything about this? Is it common for recruiters to go MIA like this a week before a deadline is due for a reserve board? Is the deadline still 31 Oct? Some help would be appreciated.

As far as a waiver goes I am unsure about getting it at the board. I think you are required to have it before applying to the board. It all depends on what you got in trouble for as well. I was a nervous wreck because I thought I would be required to have one, I got a ticket for drinking underage my freshman year in college. It was deferred and not on my record anywhere but my recruiter told me to report it. He said it does not even require a waiver and wont really affect me unless there is someone with the exact qualifications as I and that could be a deciding factor other than that dont worry. I hope it doesnt become a factor but I would say to still pursue a waiver.

Basically, the question I am asking, has anyone heard of a Moral Waiver approved at the AFRC level after the Wing Commander signs off?

The OA recruiters get so many candidates that they basically don't want to do any more work than absolutely necessary. I call BS and tell folks that contact our squadron directly to go ahead and apply - if you're a great candidate otherwise and we decide to hire you, then we'll do the legwork for the waiver. Have had 2 so far that have been approved in the last few years and they have made it through UPT/UNT. However, depending on how egregious the "offense", we might decide that it's not worth the risk (so far, one of those moral waiver dudes is making a bad name for himself in the squadron, so keep your nose clean since you're already one strike down).