Non Continuation for passed over Majs

pilot-99999

Bullshit...I am/was an 11S. I had 0, I repeat, 0 negative descriminators, but was not offered continuation this year. I took the TERA...no idea why you wouldn't unless you know you definitely want to make a go of it in the reserves...

For that matter, I know an 11H who got the same deal...I don't 100% know that he had 0 negative descriminators, but I'm fairly confident that he he was issue free.

(Edited to elaborate)

I don't understand the continuation board at all.. how are people for continuation selected? I would assume it was based off of not having any negative discriminators..but it seems random..? If I were to ask the board what I needed to do to raise my chances at being picked up for continuation, what would their response be?

My IPZ board meets in March...and based on this past year I don't have high hopes for getting picked up. I think I remember someone here saying TERA is to be offered until 2018 which might allow me to pick up TERA in the case I don't make O5.. anyone else remember reading about that somewhere?

Edited by Chicken

My impression is that it has nothing at all to do with you personally. The only factor considered is AFSC. I was a T prefix instructor with no bad indicators in an undermanned year group. The only people they kept were pilots that year. I don't think you will have any way to influence the decision.

My impression is that it has nothing at all to do with you personally. The only factor considered is AFSC. I was a T prefix instructor with no bad indicators in an undermanned year group. The only people they kept were pilots that year. I don't think you will have any way to influence the decision.

Someone has messed up my AFSCs somehow.. I have T12S as a duty and 11U for primary. Not sure if that would help, hurt, or do anything..?

Someone has messed up my AFSCs somehow.. I have T12S as a duty and 11U for primary. Not sure if that would help, hurt, or do anything..?

One showing you're a Nav and the other a Pilot? Get that fixed ASAP.

"Duty AFSC" means exactly squat after you pin on major and leave the sq/Gp level jobs...Core ID and RTDM code are much more important to be correct.

Duty AFSC is tied to the position # on the UMD you happen to occupy. On staff, it's very common to not have your core ID and duty AFSC match---mainly because there aren't enough officers of the right types to fill the staffs

In a below-wing-level job, however, everything should match.

Edited by Learjetter

I'm a prior Personnelist, and I know how the UMD/UMPR work. However having a FTU Instructor Nav and a Rec/RPA Pilot AFSC on the same SURF is a major foul, unless that person went to UPT after being a Nav. Duty AFSC does mean squat after Major since that's what goes on your OPR and what billet you fill.

Edited by Azimuth

I'm a prior Personnelist, and I know how the UMD/UMPR work. However having a FTU Instructor Nav and a Rec/RPA Pilot AFSC on the same SURF is a major foul, unless that person went to UPT after being a Nav. Duty AFSC does mean squat after Major since that's what goes on your OPR and what billet you fill.

It's actually the AFSC I held as a UAV pilot/operator when UAVs were UAVs and not RPAs..before they changed to 18X or whatever it is now.

I'm a prior Personnelist....Duty AFSC does mean squat after Major since that's what goes on your OPR and what billet you fill.

Got it. It matters for personnelists.

Does not matter to anyone else, like senior raters.

I don't understand the continuation board at all.. how are people for continuation selected? I would assume it was based off of not having any negative discriminators..but it seems random..? If I were to ask the board what I needed to do to raise my chances at being picked up for continuation, what would their response be?

My IPZ board meets in March...and based on this past year I don't have high hopes for getting picked up. I think I remember someone here saying TERA is to be offered until 2018 which might allow me to pick up TERA in the case I don't make O5.. anyone else remember reading about that somewhere?

Found this: "The opportunity to retire under this TERA program is expected to end by December 31, 2018." I dont know if "expected" will turn into reality because it seems like nothing in the AF is solid anymore, but here is to hoping. Link http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/plan/retirement-types/2012-18tera.html

And it must be AFSC thats the determining factor (barring any negative issues with your record), thats why I was asking SVFR if he was able to recall if he saw more than one AFSC than another on that list.

Heres the word I got wrt non-continuation during a non-select. counseling.

-No negative quality indicators didn't really matter, it was dependent this past year and next year on who is on the critical AFSC list.

-Normally that lists includes pilots, this past year it only included 11F, 11H, and a couple other random ones, the person I spoke with was suprised not to see 11S on it this time around.

-To reiterate she stated that they expect this to continue, thus we now have a de-facto up or out system, regardless of DOPMA(congressional rules)

Rumint follows: the reason they extended the TERA option was that AFPC, more specifically leadership at AFPC, said that the worst thing they did to pilot retention was the 2011 cut and a certain GO said under his watch this wouldn't happen.

If you are wondering what your chances for continuation etc. are, have your functional inquire into who is on the critical skills list. Bare in mind that individual functionals(at the Majcom) level can petition to add AFSCs to that list...I'm not sure how much it counts though.

Edited by litercola

Are TERA and Guard/Reserve work mutually exclusive? I know you can't collect a TERA retirement check while serving in the Guard/Reserve but can you take TERA now, do 10-15 years of Guard/Reserve time and get promoted to O-5 while not collecting TERA retirement, then quit the Guard/Reserve gig prior to age 60 and resume TERA payments (plus extra for all the Guard/Reserve time)? I'm looking for the best way to game the system and this is an intriguing, but probably unlikely, possibility.

Being "retired" and in the guard are mutually exclusive.

Edited by SuperWSO

My Duty and Primary AFSCs were 11M cores my entire career until I was notified of my selection to meet the last RIF board. One week later my Duty and Primary AFSC was 12M. It took a month to get it fixed.

Being "retired" and in the guard are mutually exclusive.

Nope. I know two guys - one pilot and one FE that retired and joined the ARC. FE retired at 20+ and went Guard. Pilot retired via TERA and went reserves. When they work at the Guard/Reserve, they get their drill pay for that day. When they don't, they get their retired pay for that day. Just need a unit that will accept you.
  • Upvote 1

Nope. I know two guys - one pilot and one FE that retired and joined the ARC. FE retired at 20+ and went Guard. Pilot retired via TERA and went reserves. When they work at the Guard/Reserve, they get their drill pay for that day. When they don't, they get their retired pay for that day. Just need a unit that will accept you.

Valid.

Valid.

Did not think it was possible. Most guard apps I've seen ask if you are receiving retirement pay. Thought that was an either or choice.

Bullshit...I am/was an 11S. I had 0, I repeat, 0 negative descriminators, but was not offered continuation this year. I took the TERA...no idea why you wouldn't unless you know you definitely want to make a go of it in the reserves...

For that matter, I know an 11H who got the same deal...I don't 100% know that he had 0 negative descriminators, but I'm fairly confident that he he was issue free.

(Edited to elaborate)

I saw the guidance the boards were suppose to use. However I do know an 11S who was going to be non-continued but was saved by a board member pointing out to his commander (also a board member) that he could be continued based on being 11S.

In his boss's defense, the 11S was in a staff job and his boss was not 11S. I don't have any defense for big blue. There should have been some type of review so random luck wasn't the difference between continuation and non.

I think I know the 11H you are referring too. I wouldn't imagine he had any discriminators but I think he self eliminated from a formal training course to deal with a personal family matter. That would have generated a training report that might have been viewed negatively. Of course he could have also had a board member that overlooked he was an 11H. Again, big blue fail.

In his boss's defense, the 11S was in a staff job and his boss was not 11S. I don't have any defense for big blue. There should have been some type of review so random luck wasn't the difference between continuation and non.

I think I know the 11H you are referring too. I wouldn't imagine he had any discriminators but I think he self eliminated from a formal training course to deal with a personal family matter. That would have generated a training report that might have been viewed negatively. Of course he could have also had a board member that overlooked he was an 11H. Again, big blue fail.

If that was directed towards me, then yes, I believe we are talking about the same person.

• 7 months later...

Any RUMINT out there for SecAF's critical skills/afsc list this year wrt continuation? How about tera for passed over bros? I'm guessing probably a month or so before the results are out. Curious to see what jobs are continued/not.

Any RUMINT out there for SecAF's critical skills/afsc list this year wrt continuation? How about tera for passed over bros? I'm guessing probably a month or so before the results are out. Curious to see what jobs are continued/not.

June 9th is the official release. Haven't seen anything yet on continuation or TERA.

June 9th is the official release. Haven't seen anything yet on continuation or TERA.

Any word on selection rate? Still at the projected 84%? Or does that come out after release? Why are captain s always continued while majors are not? I'm hoping they offer at least TERA to 2x passed over guys.

I'm hoping they offer at least TERA to 2x passed over guys.

Last year AFPC announced availability of TERA for 2x passed over dudes on 28 Feb 14, well prior to the board public release-- although the PSDMs weren't published until July sometime.. weeks after results. Nothing but crickets this year. Maybe we won't see an offer 'cause they realized they cut too deep last year and want to retain the cheap labor of continued guys vice letting them move on with life under TERA. Just frustrating for those of us wanting to plan ahead a little bit which requires knowing what options will even be on the table prior to the decision point.