Non Continuation for passed over Majs

pilot-99999

Interesting times... I got picked up for O-4 without AAD during a drawdown. I was lucky on that board, wrong place, wrong time but working for the right guy. The Gen went to the mats for me in the MLR and I came out with a DP - nice... Fast forward about five years, yet another drawdown - O-5 board would promote the minimum allowed by law (about 65%). I was again wrong place, wrong time and in this case, working for guy who really didn't give a s**t. But I had all the squares filled, AAD, PME, leadership (deputy CC)... Still no luck, not whining just going with it. On that board, we had 5 O4s competing for 2 DPs - 2 of the O-4s were C prefix CCs. Oh well s**t happens...

OK fast forward another two years - suddenly the USAF is way down on bodies, its a freakin' disaster... The O-5 board goes to something like 85%... Anyone with a heartbeat is getting promoted. And to top it off, a whole group of guys who had been passed over for O-4 back in the day were back, and making O-5 on the first round... But its cool, needs of the USAF and all that...

Fast forward three more years, now we are so short of O-4s that we are continuing all of them to 24 years. Later that year I'm having lunch with a now retired bud from my RTU. He was ahead of me by 2-3 years and was given a choice when he was passed over for O-5 first time - either take the early retirement or take your chances with an APZ promotion and no continuation. So out he went at 18... Basically we had people all over the place.

So what did I tell the Lts? Basically its all about timing - control what you can, don't worry about what you can't and never assume the game is over until its really over. I suspect those officers pushed out ahead of their 20 will be found either in the Guard or Reserve or in about 2-3 years, back on AD wearing their O-5 oak leafs... Unless they decide to just quit, and thats a whole different case.

Edited by hobbitcid

• 7 months later...

This December the boards meet, at least for the majors board. If passed over a second time and decline continuation, are you given the option to bounce in a couple months or serve til the end of the fiscal. If you are not offered continuation, what is the timeline? No one seems to be able to tell me this. Please advise.

I was in the initial bunch in 2011 that was passed over on their 1 above for Lt Col and separated in 6 months. The board came out around April and I was out effective 1 Nov 11. It wasn't tied to the fiscal year and there was zero flexibility on timing. The only good news was I found out 30 days before I was scheduled to PCS.

I'm also one of the guys who landed a job in the ANG and got promoted. PM me if you have any questions on the process.

Edited by SuperWSO

Fozzy Bear:

Your deadline to get out is 6 months after the month in which the board results were released. You can move this to earlier as you request, though, through a request from your commander to AFPC. I, personally, did this. My board came out in Mar and my DOS was auto-set to 30 Sep. I made the request and got out end of May--didn't take any terminal, though. It seemed to me that 2 months is about the earliest you should request because of all the bureaucratic processes that need time.

Wow. Thank You both. That helps huge.

FWIW, I want to get my wife out of the hell in which we live asap, so I will start getting my affairs back in order. My biggest limfac, I think, will be getting that formal DOS before I feel comfortable applying to Delta, Joe's Drug Smuggling, etc. Don't wanna apply and look stupid later, burn bridges, etc. when the timeline shifts from what I expected.

Please correct me if this is wrong or stupid/ apologize for slightly hijacking this thread:

I'll get passed over for major on my second look this December. I'll find out in late January to mid February that I was passed over, if AFPC works fast. My commander will back me up and recommend the DOS I request, and a week later that will be approved. My DOS will be 5 May to leave pretty of time to finish up TAPS and FAA paperwork, and to have another reason to swing from the rafters on Cinqo de Mayo. I'll advertise to employers a start work date of 15 May to allow time to move.

Thanks again guys.

Do the transition class now or as soon as you have time. You don't necessarily need a DOS to do it. Go ahead and apply to companies now. Usually the app has an availability date. If it does not, you can put it in the notes or somewhere. At the least it will get you familiar with the process and let you gather the required info. Since I have been paying attention, the board results have come out anywhere from Feb to May over the past several years for AD USAF. Just put your availability as Aug and then you can update it if it changes to sooner.

You can do the tap shite 2 years out. If you have a job offer in hand, and/or are transitioning to the guard/reserve you can get a HUGE chunk of tap waiver.

If you're young do it all.

If you're old, just do the va benefits part.

If you are not on the flying schedule and want to get out of work for a week do the TAP class anytime you want. Seriously. I suggest going a couple times throughout a 20 year career.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think you can write a letter to decline consideration for promotion, but I'm not sure you can decline once selected. Maybe there is a 7 day opt like with PCS?

SuperWSO, why would you want to decline promotion? There is no ADSC associated with pin on.

You can write a letter and involuntary rules no longer apply.

FB, how much ADSC do you have left?

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by Herk Driver

I think you can write a letter to decline consideration for promotion, but I'm not sure you can decline once selected. Maybe there is a 7 day opt like with PCS?

You can decline once selected. Did it, got the t-shirt.

You can separate once selected and even after pinning on. Years required in grade to retire at the new rank fluctuate with Big Blue's needs. (sorry, if I win the Capt Obvious award here.)

You also cease being considered "involuntary separation" and no cash for you if you decline.

Any remaining ADSC can then still hold you in as I also found out.

Worth it to bail from AD (at the time - late '90s).

ADSC for UPT is still over a year. I would do pretty much anything to get my family out of Clovis - which is literally poisonous, so I would want to leave the AF asap. That's why I would decline a promotion. That, and the fact that I need to start a career that I can retire from.

subscribers can't read the article

Here's the breakdown: SSgt has failed two PT tests and is coming up on his last chance. His life sucks due to long hours and "squadron politics". Also, he has a bad back. Says to a couple of SrA's that he's going to fail his PT test on purpose so he can get out. He's expecting to be busted down to SrA, then forced out via HYT. He fails the PT test, followed by the SrA's reporting what they heard him say. Court Martial follows, SSgt is acquitted. Moral of the story: If this is your plan, keep your fucking mouth shut.

Here's the breakdown: SSgt has failed two PT tests and is coming up on his last chance. His life sucks due to long hours and "squadron politics". Also, he has a bad back. Says to a couple of SrA's that he's going to fail his PT test on purpose so he can get out. He's expecting to be busted down to SrA, then forced out via HYT. He fails the PT test, followed by the SrA's reporting what they heard him say. Court Martial follows, SSgt is acquitted. Moral of the story: If this is your plan, keep your fucking mouth shut.

Thanks. What was the charge? Malingering?

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, anybody have any data on continuation numbers this year? It's been really quiet after the 157 schenanigans and with TERA, RIF, etc stuff i'm curious if they are back to continuing everybody who didn't make 0-5 or what. I really wish the AF would just publish some numbers along with AFSCs on this stuff.

I had a non-select counseling appointment this week. I asked some of those questions. The counselor brought a list of the non-continued officers. It was a about 5 pages long, double spaced with one name per line. Not sure why the AF doesn't publish the number but the list is internally published. The counselor said only a handful of people non-continued did not qualify for TERA. I didn't remember the complete list, just got a glance of it, but the following should have been offered continuation last year and this up coming year based on SECAF guidance: 11S, 11F, and 11H. That is based on being "fully qualified". ie no negative discriminators. Note that myPers doesn't give those details. If continuation is offered it is only to 20 years. Finally, if selected for continuation you can decline and still receive TERA if qualified.

Edited by SVFR

I had a non-select counseling appointment this week. I asked some of those questions. The counselor brought a list of the non-continued officers. It was a about 5 pages long, double spaced with one name per line. Not sure why the AF doesn't publish the number but the list is internally published. The counselor said only a handful of people non-continued did not qualify for TERA. I didn't remember the complete list, just got a glance of it, but the following should have been offered continuation last year and this up coming year based on SECAF guidance: 11S, 11F, and 11H. That is based on being "fully qualified". ie no negative discriminators. Note that myPers doesn't give those details. If continuation is offered it is only to 20 years. Finally, if selected for continuation you can decline and still receive TERA if qualified.

Bullshit...I am/was an 11S. I had 0, I repeat, 0 negative descriminators, but was not offered continuation this year. I took the TERA...no idea why you wouldn't unless you know you definitely want to make a go of it in the reserves...

For that matter, I know an 11H who got the same deal...I don't 100% know that he had 0 negative descriminators, but I'm fairly confident that he he was issue free.

(Edited to elaborate)

Edited by zrooster99