RIF/RRF

Obviously there are a lot of (more) disgruntled rated dudes after the VSP debacle who are still meeting the RIF. Hypothetically speaking, if you were given the option of a "do not retain" on your RRF would you do it? Thoughts on chances of being RIF'd after VSP denial? Potential repercussions of a "do not retain" if retained?

Edited by Larry Sellers

Well, Larry, as you probably know, the individual doesn't get a vote on the RRF. It's done like a PRF, and the senior rater (Wg/CC, usually) gets to mark DR, R, or DNR as he/she sees fit. There exists the possibility that a SQ/CC or OG/CC in the chain could recommend to the SR a certain rating, but he'd likely have to back that up with a face to face conversation with the Wing King. So if you asked your CC to get you a DNR rating on your RRF, you're guaranteed to highlight yourself as someone who wants to be paid to get out, and right freaking now, thank you. Some CCs will see that as "quitting." Better CCs will see that as "frustrated," and will try to alleviate some of that frustration. Other CCs will do what they can to ensure the "best guys" (as they define it) stay on active duty and the chaff gets, uh, dispensed. I would say your chances of "repercussions" if you ask for a DNR are about the same as when you applied for VSP. Same tone/tenor, just a slightly different song. If you ask to get out (via VSP or DNR on RRF), you will be seen by the majority of CCs as not wanting to continue service. That label has baggage: local awards, school slot apps, command board apps, "high vis" desirable assignments within the wing, ADP pushes to "cool/good" jobs on next PCS, etc. are normally meted out to they folks who can do them (1st) and need them (2nd) to improve that person's resume as they move up the big blue corporate ladder. CCs won't usually "waste" an opporunity like that on a guy who's stated intention is to get out at the earliest opportunity. There are exceptions, some commanders that'll do the opposite of what I wrote here, but I think the majority of CCs will not give apparent "good deals" in any way, shape, or form to a guy who has stated empatically, that he wants out. That's just one POV...

Well, Larry, as you probably know, the individual doesn't get a vote on the RRF. It's done like a PRF, and the senior rater (Wg/CC, usually) gets to mark DR, R, or DNR as he/she sees fit. There exists the possibility that a SQ/CC or OG/CC in the chain could recommend to the SR a certain rating, but he'd likely have to back that up with a face to face conversation with the Wing King. So if you asked your CC to get you a DNR rating on your RRF, you're guaranteed to highlight yourself as someone who wants to be paid to get out, and right freaking now, thank you. Some CCs will see that as "quitting." Better CCs will see that as "frustrated," and will try to alleviate some of that frustration. Other CCs will do what they can to ensure the "best guys" (as they define it) stay on active duty and the chaff gets, uh, dispensed. I would say your chances of "repercussions" if you ask for a DNR are about the same as when you applied for VSP. Same tone/tenor, just a slightly different song. If you ask to get out (via VSP or DNR on RRF), you will be seen by the majority of CCs as not wanting to continue service. That label has baggage: local awards, school slot apps, command board apps, "high vis" desirable assignments within the wing, ADP pushes to "cool/good" jobs on next PCS, etc. are normally meted out to they folks who can do them (1st) and need them (2nd) to improve that person's resume as they move up the big blue corporate ladder. CCs won't usually "waste" an opporunity like that on a guy who's stated intention is to get out at the earliest opportunity. There are exceptions, some commanders that'll do the opposite of what I wrote here, but I think the majority of CCs will not give apparent "good deals" in any way, shape, or form to a guy who has stated empatically, that he wants out. That's just one POV...

Another POV recognizes a key point about the board that some people (see previous) don't know: you have the right to write a letter to the board. If you want to get out that badly, write a letter to them expressing your desire. They may still not let you out of your commitment, but at least you expressed your desires. I'd rather have 100 people that want to be in than 95 who do, but 5 that don't but have a lot of experience.