B-1 (Bone) questions

Guest ralph

Shit, you can't even cross flow to a B-1 from another Bomber, much less a non-CAF asset.

But hey, while we're spinning fairy tales, I just rode my unicorn over to AFPC to drop off my space shuttle door gunner application. I was actually greeted by a real live person, treated with respect, fairness, and decency!

• Upvote 2

Anyone have any info on the timeline for the all the aircraft to be updated with the modernization upgrades? Has the FTU seen any of them yet?

We have two or three tails at Dyess with the new modern upgrades. The first cadre of non-test folks are getting upgraded right now. The current plan is for the FTU to get them after all the ops squadrons have them.

We had a handful of FAIP's that came through a couple years ago that never flew 38's, they flew T-1's, so I don't think that is a dealbreaker. However, I have never seen anybody come through as an AC. Also, I was in the FTU for 4 years, until I separated two weeks ago, and I never saw one person crossflow from another platform.

Even though you have experience flying another aircraft, the B-1 community is big on not allowing somebody to be an AC until they are competent enough to lead tactical missions, including could they make mission lead type decisions while on a combat sortie. While you could technically be an AC but not a mission lead, and let a WSO be the mission lead, I have never seen anybody updgraded that way.

We had a handful of FAIP's that came through a couple years ago that never flew 38's, they flew T-1's, so I don't think that is a dealbreaker. However, I have never seen anybody come through as an AC. Also, I was in the FTU for 4 years, until I separated two weeks ago, and I never saw one person crossflow from another platform.

Even though you have experience flying another aircraft, the B-1 community is big on not allowing somebody to be an AC until they are competent enough to lead tactical missions, including could they make mission lead type decisions while on a combat sortie. While you could technically be an AC but not a mission lead, and let a WSO be the mission lead, I have never seen anybody updgraded that way.

Makes sense, I assume (again, *if*) it were to happen, yes I would start out as a copilot obviously. Thanks for the insight.

And yes, I flew -38s in UPT.

Edited by WheelsOff

Wheels Off,

You cannot go from AMC to B-1s. That's just not the way it works.

Everyone that has ever shown up to the B-1 community is treated like the FNG they are until they prove themselves in the jet.

Your other theoretical questions don't apply because of the answer I gave you to the first question.

You'd be surprised at the potential opportunities that exist out there, if you know the right people. Stranger things have happened. Obviously I wouldn't expect to be treated any different than the next newbie; I agree that you make your money in the jet. No different in my community.

You'd be surprised at the potential opportunities that exist out there, if you know the right people. Stranger things have happened. Obviously I wouldn't expect to be treated any different than the next newbie; I agree that you make your money in the jet. No different in my community.

I know a dude that cross-flowed from EC-130s back in 2010-2011 as a Major. Good dude; upgraded quickly. I'm not sure how he did it/I'd have to ask him.

I've heard rumors of the Reserve unit spinning up hiring late Fall into the new year. Reserve sq/cc is going through B-course now; rumors of more to follow this fall. I've heard of Dyess leadership desiring some active dudes to transition to Reserves... I'm not sure there's a whole lot of interest amongst active Dyess guys yet. Haven't heard of anyone being successful in coordinating the move yet.

• Upvote 1

The FTU does have a program to start prepping FAIPS to be aircraft commanders. You won't graduate the FTU as an aircraft commander, but you will get more exposure to briefing, AC decision making, and mission leadership. If a student does well in the program, we make a recommendation to the operational unit to accelerate their upgrade to AC. Does the ops unit take that recommendation? It depends on that student's performance in MQT, the leadership that student shows in ground-related duties, and what kind of timing or back log there is in the AC upgrade program already (immediately following a deployment, for example, there is probably a sizeable group of people ready for AC upgrade).

In short, the timeline can be shortened, especially if you can show that you have tactical and systems knowledge, are willing to work hard, and you are generally an asset to the squadron.

Well that's annoying...FAIPS going to B-52s go straight to AC.....

Don't know what to tell you, other that part of it is that a relatively recent (last 6 years or so) development in the B-1 is to make all aircraft commanders mission leads. Their are different requirements for them per the Vol 1, but most squadron commanders won't put someone through AC upgrade without doing mission lead at the same time. I wonder if the B-52 aircraft commanders are similarly qualified.

The first time a FAIP see a WSO Patch must be an interesting interaction.

The 9th bomb squadron used to have Friday name tags where everyone had batwings instead of aircrew wings. Kind of set the tone. If that wasn't enough you could always be named wham. Wso hating ass monkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Skitzo

The 9th bomb squadron used to have Friday name tags where everyone had batwings instead of aircrew wings. Kind of set the tone. If that wasn't enough you could always be named wham. Wso hating ass monkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's interesting about that is it's completely 180 out from most interactions I've had with WSOs. They were always the first ones to start the dick measuring. Is there a name for pilot hating WSOs (besides NAV)?

I know a dude that cross-flowed from EC-130s back in 2010-2011 as a Major. Good dude; upgraded quickly. I'm not sure how he did it/I'd have to ask him.

I've heard rumors of the Reserve unit spinning up hiring late Fall into the new year. Reserve sq/cc is going through B-course now; rumors of more to follow this fall. I've heard of Dyess leadership desiring some active dudes to transition to Reserves... I'm not sure there's a whole lot of interest amongst active Dyess guys yet. Haven't heard of anyone being successful in coordinating the move yet.

Awesome!

The FTU does have a program to start prepping FAIPS to be aircraft commanders. You won't graduate the FTU as an aircraft commander, but you will get more exposure to briefing, AC decision making, and mission leadership. If a student does well in the program, we make a recommendation to the operational unit to accelerate their upgrade to AC. Does the ops unit take that recommendation? It depends on that student's performance in MQT, the leadership that student shows in ground-related duties, and what kind of timing or back log there is in the AC upgrade program already (immediately following a deployment, for example, there is probably a sizeable group of people ready for AC upgrade).

In short, the timeline can be shortened, especially if you can show that you have tactical and systems knowledge, are willing to work hard, and you are generally an asset to the squadron.

PM sent.

What's interesting about that is it's completely 180 out from most interactions I've had with WSOs. They were always the first ones to start the dick measuring. Is there a name for pilot hating WSOs (besides NAV)?

There was a guy who's callsign was WHAM (WSO hating ass-monkey)

FAIPs have zero tactical knowledge...

And we don't immediately make them ACs...we make a recommendation to accelerate the upgrade to the ops squadrons.