Disenrollment from AFROTC: Appeals

Guest kai_strife

Guest kai_strife

I was recently disenrolled from the AFROTC program for mistake my detachment made 2 years ago. I am a computer science major that will be going into my 5th year this coming up school year. Now, normally, a 22 package would need to be sent up to HQ to get me approved for a 5th year. However, my detachment commander told me when I got back from Field Training that a 22 package was no longer required and that my Spring semester, senior year, they would contact HQ and get me approve. Thinking he knew what he was talking about, I said okay and went on my way.

Fast forward to last semester. Fall 2010, I unfortunately received my third conditional due to grades. We did the investigation for disenrollment, and it was anticipated by everyone that it would come back as probation. However, HQ looked my records, saw that I was still supposed to be graduating this semester (because a 22 package never was submitted), and so said that I had broken my contract. Because of this, they disenrolled me and called me to EAD upon graduation.

The cadre know they messed up and have pledged to do everything they can to correct this error. However, HQ said the only recourse I have is to appeal the disenrollment. I know that AFROTCI 36-2015 tells what to do to start a disenrollment appeal, but doesn't really give any help as to what to write and what to include.

I'm just looking for a starting point. Besides things like my Form 48 (signed every year), and a letter from my advisor confirming that I will be graduating Spring 2012, what else should I include? Thanks for any help in advance!

I'm just looking for a starting point. Besides things like my Form 48 (signed every year), and a letter from my advisor confirming that I will be graduating Spring 2012, what else should I include? Thanks for any help in advance!

If your cadre "knows they messed up" and will do everything to help, I would think the CoC and the PAS should write letters for you, describing their actions and how their actions contributed mightily to the disenrollement. Without those letters, you likely haven't a chance.

Guest kai_strife

If your cadre "knows they messed up" and will do everything to help, I would think the CoC and the PAS should write letters for you, describing their actions and how their actions contributed mightily to the disenrollement. Without those letters, you likely haven't a chance.

I agree. All three of the cadre at the detachment at the time have promised to write letters on my behalf, outlining that this is their fault, not mine.

"Fast forward to last semester. Fall 2010, I unfortunately received my third conditional due to grades"

Ummmm....I understand your Det may have dorked the 22 package; but WTF is this all about? This was your third conditional due to grades? It's been a long time since I was in AFROTC, but even back in the old days this would have put you on very thin ice.

If I'm not mistaken, conditionals are still given when your GPS drops below 2.5, right? One would be somewhat understandable, two a little tougher to explain, but three?

Good luck with your effort to get reinstated, but don't go telling one that your cadre made all the mistakes when you've got three conditionals! :bash:

Good luck with your effort to get reinstated, but don't go telling one that your cadre made all the mistakes when you've got three conditionals! :bash:

Agreed. Air Force numbers are cutting down and you only gave them fresh meat by getting 3 conditionals.

conditionals are given out for a number of reasons. One being if you fail, another if you have to repeat a class. If you pass the class with a D but have to take it again because it is a pre req, then you get a conditional.

Edited by thoma015

Guest kai_strife

I would be fully inclined to agree with this statement if did not have two other cadets go up for the same reason and both come back with just probation. I will say that some blame does rest on my shoulders. If not for the D I earned in a class, HQ probably would have said "Oh, honest mistake. Extend him out." to the cadre, and that would've been it. But technically, the same thing could've happened even without the conditional, because the computers at HQ say I was supposed to have graduated this past semester. That's why I am considered to have "broken my contract". It wasn't caused my the conditional, just brought to light by it.

EDIT: Oh, and the conditionals were all for a D in one class. Calculus 2 and two high level computer science classes. Besides those, my academic record has been pretty good.

Edited by kai_strife

I agree your Det dropped the ball by not informing HQ AFROTC of your extra year, but don'tcha think that given the fact that you've failed to pass three classes might be a contributing factor in your needing the extra time to graduate?

And don't get too comfortable with these Mulligans once you get on active duty. Hell, in today's world I am surprised you've been able to stay in the program with those strikes. The USAF is looking for ways to cut numbers across the board, and you're just giving them reasons to target you when you get a conditional.

I wish you all the luck, but you are somewhat responsible for your situation and it doesn't take too much these days to find yourself out on the street.

• 10 months later...

Cadre threw me under the bus and lied to me numerous times durign the process and after

Really? If true you definitely have something to move forward with.

I'll be honest, I'm skeptical whenever I see a comment like this, especially since there is normally no incentive for them to do such a thing.

Amplifying remarks please.

Really? If true you definitely have something to move forward with.

I'll be honest, I'm skeptical whenever I see a comment like this, especially since there is normally no incentive for them to do such a thing.

Amplifying remarks please.

I can see the CYA factor for the cadre involved, especially if there is no corroborating evidence they told him not to list it besides his word.

They did lie, but the only one that I have a leg to stand on with is the missing letter from my rebuttal. I'm going to use that in order to present new evidence. I've saved all correspondence and scanned all letters with time-stamps, so I will include that.

I fail to see how one letter missing is significant, the only thing I can see that you could have a leg would be the fact that you did previously list the medication on the initial SF-86 and they did nothing about it and then claimed you failed to reveal it.

Was this LSD or something?

It looks like you really do want to serve your country. Keep swinging. Eventually someone will give a shit and cut you a break. Be ready.

Was this LSD or something?

I had previously had a prescription for a drug and took it a couple years later without a prescription.

Last time I checked LSD wasn't being prescribed.

@ Spusmac: If you are trying to get the recommendation changed, I would say you have a better shot at that, than trying to get the AF to let you back in. Although I'm curious how you took a drug later without a prescription?

Last time I checked LSD wasn't being prescribed.

When was the last time you checked to see if you could get a prescription for LSD?

Last time I checked your sarcasm detector was inop.

I probably should have never even brought it up with ROTC. They told me Integrity meant something, at least till it comes time to CYA.

This like loyalty, is often a one-way street in the AF. You are a problem for your chain of command and they just want you to go away and you've seen the lengths they'll go to to make that happen. I'd FENCE out and take my free education with me. But good luck with getting this changed if that's what you really want.

I have my appeal written up and will be sending it in the next day or so. If anyone wouldn't mind giving it a quick going over to make sure I'm using the right tone and format, I would greatly appreciate it. If you send me your email in a PM, I will email it to you. I'll be forever grateful and will buy you beer if I ever see you. :beer:

Edit: BTW, it's very short, one page.

Hey bro, send it. You know my email, haha. For what it's worth, this bro was my roommate when all this shit went down and he's legit. I can also tell you for certain that the first issue (the NCO telling him not to write it down) is definitely legit. I wasn't at that specific orientation, but was in charge of the next years orientation and can say that the NCO's routinely rushed things along when they weren't positive, and even tried to fuck my forms up the year before spuds joined. (somewhat understandable, considering the number of noobs they're in-processing at once, however, I think her memo stating she never said such a thing was a serious foul.)

Edited by DFRESH