Aborted attempt before Air Force One lands safely

ClearedHot

"Hostage Pro" with the boss on board...large stones...

What's Hostage Pro?

Whoever the controller was should be fired.

McChrystalshould be fired, again.

What's Hostage Pro?

Big airplanes will often do transition work (Pilot Proficiency), at the end of a Tac sortie to get "counters" for the AC/CP/Nav. In the gunship the Tac crew usually wanted us to land and download them rather than sit through an hour of ILS/LOC/TAC/ASR approaches. It takes 15 minutes or more to land, taxi back, open, download, close, taxi back, and takeoff so many pilots just keep the tac crew on board...at that point the grump Tac crew calls it "Hostage Pro". My personal rule was if it was going to be less than an hour or we were doing Tac approaches, they stayed.

Big airplanes will often do transition work (Pilot Proficiency), at the end of a Tac sortie to get "counters" for the AC/CP/Nav.

OK, that's what I suspected it meant I've just never heard it before.

In a single seat airplane is it considered hostage pro to subject yourself to such nonsense.

That's what a pencil is for in a fighter squadron...

"Hey two, you forgot something on your bubble sheet dumbass. I briefed to pick up the ILS and TACAN on final in the overhead. That's a round. Fix it and go make some jalapeno corn for the debrief chop-chop."

Big airplanes will often do transition work (Pilot Proficiency), at the end of a Tac sortie to get "counters" for the AC/CP/Nav. In the gunship the Tac crew usually wanted us to land and download them rather than sit through an hour of ILS/LOC/TAC/ASR approaches. It takes 15 minutes or more to land, taxi back, open, download, close, taxi back, and takeoff so many pilots just keep the tac crew on board...at that point the grump Tac crew calls it "Hostage Pro". My personal rule was if it was going to be less than an hour or we were doing Tac approaches, they stayed.

I always tell mission crew guys they can bitch about one of two (but never both) things, either A) transition, or B) shitty landings. This has so far proven ineffective.

WRT the story, I'm still trying to figure out what an "aborted landing" is. You're not landing until the wheels are on the ground and the speed brakes are out (or whatever the point of commitment is in other TOs). Up to that point you are CONTINUING THE APPROACH or executing the missed approach.

That's what a pencil is for in a fighter squadron...

"Hey two, you forgot something on your bubble sheet dumbass. I briefed to pick up the ILS and TACAN on final in the overhead. That's a round. Fix it and go make some jalapeno corn for the debrief chop-chop."

The "precision approach" overhead..."Dude, was your overhead and final turn precise?...Yes...then log it!" Another valuable lesson learned from an IP.