Forums Down -- UPDATE 5/13/2011

Baseops.Net

Sorry for the SQL ERROR and the forums being down the last day or so. I finally got my customer support folks to fix this and am trying to learn what they did so I can resurrect it myself next time.

v/r

BASEOPS

Sorry for the intermittent connectivity. It seemed to be a high customer load drawing network resources. I've increased the number of connections - we'll see if this fixes it long-term.

In the future, you can always communicate via the baseops email or the baseops facebook page as well during forum blackouts.

The forums are back up and running after the fourth consecutive outage.

We have isolated the problem to the search function in the forums - unfortunately, due to the nature of military aviation-related searches, I have had to allow three-character searches (for strings such as "UPT" and "U-28", etc.) thus the server can get bogged down when consective and/or multiple simultaneous searches are being performed.

So, to combat this problem, I have changed the default search to a Google Site Search -- it searches the same forum posts, but uses outside resources and presents the results in a Google Search-like interface. You still have the option of performing a traditional IPB-Forums-style search (displaying most recent posts, number of replies, etc.) by clicking on the little drop-down tab to the right of the search box (top-right of page) and selecting "Forums" as the search method.

I am trying to have additional software workarounds installed to bring even more functionality and efficiency to the search feature - but this may take some time...

v/r

BASEOPS

As of this morning, the View New Content button doesn't seem to work. It states that there is no new content, but when I check the forums, I can see plenty of new posts. Anyone else having similiar issues?

As of this morning, the View New Content button doesn't seem to work. It states that there is no new content, but when I check the forums, I can see plenty of new posts. Anyone else having similiar issues?

x2

At least it isn't working when I try accessing from my phone.

Edited by Guinthjb

Sorry folks - the problem we've been having originates with the search function (non-Google search) that, as I just found out, also is employed by the NEW CONTENT link. I'll fix this temporarily (which may result in another crash tomorrow morning...)

But, we are working on a long term fix to this issue - I've had to call in several other guys for help. Bottom line: we are attempting to install a server-sided fix that will allow the search to run efficiently AND not crash the server. More tomorrow...

Thanks for your patience!