AF gets its 1st F-35

Bullet

Last Friday, with very little fan-fare, the AF's first production F-35A arrived at Edwards AFB. We should start seeing one or two delivered a month through the end of the year, even more after wards.

One down, 1762 more go to (if anyone still believes that number).

Last Friday, with very little fan-fare, the AF's first production F-35A arrived at Edwards AFB. We should start seeing one or two delivered a month through the end of the year, even more after wards.

Do we know if their oxygen system works?

Do we know if their oxygen system works?

Just go RAM and stay below 10k and you'll be GTG.

I think those are AF-8 and AF-9 which were supposed to go the school house.

It was AF-7. AF-6 should also get delivered to Edwards in the next couple of weeks. AF-8 just had it's 1st flight last week, and should get to Eglin in a few weeks. AF-9 is about a month behind that...

More like 176.

Last Friday, with very little fan-fare, the AF's first production F-35A arrived at Edwards AFB...

Why am I not surprised? I was at Eddies and caught (chalked, de-armed, etc...) the first AF owned F-15E to go to the OT&E team (number 8 off the production line) as it came in (STS) factory fresh from St Louis. Yes, we're talking 1989ish. Nobody outside the F-15E/McDonnell Test Force gave a sh*t.

I guess it was because the front page story in the base newspaper that week was CMSgt Snuffy's retirement ceremony after serving 30 years at the only base he was ever stationed at... Edwards.

On the other hand, the shoe's would have just turned it into a damn circus sideshow. So I guess it was just as well.

Good luck F-35 team! :rock:

Not sure about CCIP but, when I was at the plant in Fort Worth, the guy did mention "autostrafe." It only carries about 180 rounds so I guess the computer can shoot them.

Yeah I can see that thing working. Who comes up with that idea? Last I heard from the fighter demo lab in DC was they have zero plans for a ccip.

Guest 12XU2A3X3

Didn't we already learn our lesson regarding guns on fighters? Guess not.

at least they kept it this time, it won't have to be integrated later, significant because if it was a pain of the F-4E it would simply never happen in the JSF program [/conjecture]. the navy & marine version have a conformal podded gun option. lest the GAU-13 be forgotten.

• 1 month later...
Guest Stayeagle

I am looking for any recent info on active duty guys crossing over to the F-35. I know the initial cadre went down to Eglin but to my knowledge haven't actually done any flying there. Specifically:

1) When are they looking to start pulling guys over?

2) What requirement are/will they be looking for? (Patch, IP, FTUI, 4-Ship?)

3) Will it be strictly Vipers or will other MWSs have an opportunity as well?

4) Anything else you know that might be pertinent...

Thanks!

I am looking for any recent info on active duty guys crossing over to the F-35. I know the initial cadre went down to Eglin but to my knowledge haven't actually done any flying there. Specifically:

1) When are they looking to start pulling guys over?

2) What requirement are/will they be looking for? (Patch, IP, FTUI, 4-Ship?)

3) Will it be strictly Vipers or will other MWSs have an opportunity as well?

4) Anything else you know that might be pertinent...

Thanks!

1) The initial cadre of IPs will complete flight training early next year, and the second cadre (IPs and OT pilots) will be right after them. In fact, all of next year will be getting the IP and OT guys trained. Ops guys will probably start (in very small numbers) '13.

2) Very experienced, hand-picked guys at first. Patch, IP, Test quals are probably you're best bet at getting slot in the near term (in fact, I believe the second cadre announcement has been out for a while, and listed these as "desired Quals")

3)Viper heavy, but there are also Mud-Hen and A-10 guys in the mix. It's the next "strike fighter", so I'm pretty sure they want guys with air-to-ground backgrounds at first. However, you may see the occasional -22 guy because of their stealth experience.

4)Last piece of advise: nothing is certain in this program next month, never mind next year! Advice I've been passing to young dudes going to UPT now (or looking down the road 1-2 years) and wanting to fly a F-35: shoot for a Viper assignment as your first Ops tour. Once (if ever) this program is on-track, the switch from Vipers to Lightning IIs will be fast and furious, and the Vipers are replaced first; you're chances of transferring over will be that much greater.