Stealth Helo in Bin Laden Raid ?

Speaking of making aircraft stealthy, I read somewhere that the Germans used some device to fool British radar into thinking the aircraft was some distance behind its actual location, thus causing the British to send fighters to intercept a ghost. Anyone have any info about this device?

It's amazing what a little electronic warfare can do.

http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/service_pubs/afd2_5_1.pdf (read the section entitled "deception")

Guest Miclhstrase

Interesting stuff! There were so many great deception techniques during WWII, both in EW and disinformation schemes...

Interesting stuff! There were so many great deception techniques during WWII, both in EW and disinformation schemes...

If you are being sarcastic, suck it

If you are sincere and actually interested, electronic warfare was the basis for silicon valley:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Guest Miclhstrase

If you are being sarcastic, suck it

No sarcasm, and not sucking anything. It really is interesting stuff, a lot of which I didn't even know existed. The more you know...

No sarcasm, and not sucking anything. It really is interesting stuff, a lot of which I didn't even know existed. The more you know...

fair nuff (sorry for the quick retort; I've been a little paranoid lately)

The pic with the hajis standing next to the tail boom is what I noticed: looks massive. All of the discussions have centered around a "modified blackhawk". That looks more like a -53 sized beast.

Not even close to -53 size.

looks kinda similar to the Comanche's tail rotor blade assembly.

Minus the Fenstrom tail rotor it looks just like the Comanche. I wonder if the rest of the airframe followed the same lines or it was just the tail boom back that followed the design?

looks kinda similar to the Comanche's tail rotor blade assembly.

Comanche had a ducted tail rotor (Fenestron is an Eurocopter trademark).

We just left some mocked up wreckage there as a prop to scare the shit out of the rest of the world that "our special ops guys have cool shit people don't know anything about...so watch your ass."

I love it.

I am going to take an educated guess and say that the "stealth helicopter" used in the Bin Laden raid was a highly modified Sikorsky S-92. I am going to speculate further and venture it might be one of the prototypes of the "Marine One" helicopters used in the test program that JSOC quietly acquired and modified at some obscure location like Waco (E-Systems). Question, are all the S-92 test aircraft for the cancelled "Marine One" accounted for?

I will also speculate it is NOT an RAH-66, H-60 or H-53. I hope I am not breaking OPSEC by speculating...Was told that was a "No-No" in my AD days.

Edited by Kaman
  • Downvote 2

I hope I am not breaking OPSEC by speculating...Was told that was a "No-No" in my AD days.

Lol, so now that you're no longer AD feel free to speculate all you want. OPSEC be damned! /sarcasm font

Whatever it was was probably bad ass and hopefully one day we'll know the truth when the book gets written.

Marine One was going to be a US-101, not an S-92. The VH-92 was a proposal by Sikorsky but it lost out to LM for the contract. Also the stabilizer on the wreckage is at the base of the tail a la H-60, verses at the top left side a la S-92

I am going to take an educated guess and say that the "stealth helicopter" used in the Bin Laden raid was a highly modified Sikorsky S-92.

Sorry, you're not even close.

Also the stabilizer on the wreckage is at the base of the tail a la H-60, verses at the top left side a la S-92

S-92 horizontal stabilizer is on the right side only, at the base of the tail...

com_S92_ovr_a.jpg

Looks like it's all back...allegedly. Pakistan has even promised not to sell remnants of the helicopter to China; what a great bunch of dudes.

Pakistan had said earlier this month that it would not share the damaged helicopter with China, which has been accused of buying up wreckage of US military aircraft to get an insight into American defense technology.

Link

Looks like it's all back...allegedly. Pakistan has even promised not to sell remnants of the helicopter to China; what a great bunch of dudes.

Link

Strange, didn't the Chinese just make deals to sell the Pakistanis JF-17s and build/manage a naval facility? Nah, the Chinese were never near the wreckage.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they use lead paint for extra stealth/EMP protection on the toy? You know, just to add realism?