Boss, I quit...

This phrase is key.

In aviation (and certainly many other career fields), your ability to have a large and diverse network will get you more places... far more... than your resume.

Until you figure this out and capitalize on it, you will be at the mercy of "the number of hours you flew".

And as we all know, while being the easiest way to give some sort of filter on "who is most qualified", "number of hours" is also the least accurate measure of someone's aviation ability.

They also look at how many Masters degrees you have...because we all know that is a quality indicator.....

• 9 months later...

He says he was on the way to the top, but then says all the OPRs look 90% alike - so how are we to be sure he was a General-to-be and not a "stellar performer" like everyone else?

Good points, but nothing new - most captains could tell you the same thing. That said, if this garners any attention from brass/civilian leadership (not holding my breath) maybe it'll be worth it.

zb

edditeds fer bad speling

Edited by zach braff

so how are we to be sure he was a General-to-be and not a "stellar performer" like everyone else?

I think he was a C-17 Sqd/CC @ CHS. From his intro, he was probably 2 below to LTC.

if this garners any attention from brass/civilian leadership (not holding my breath) maybe it'll be worth it.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of falling on that big of a sword just to draw attention to something you believe in... Some folks do give too much credit to themselves and the impact their "bold" move will have (not that that was what Tony's intention was, and I doubt it was). In my experience, shouting from the trenches tends to fall on deaf ears until someone actually rises up who would rather wield their sword and be forced to go out swinging than hope that someone sees them walking for the exits.

Might as well take a few swings with the sword and see what damage you can do for the folks climbing up behind you.

I actually knew Tony in a former life, good dude... He'll do great things, but we sure could of used him fighting for us.

That was a pretty good read. We see the same thing on the E side of the house too. We do not promote the right people with the right focus and that's why we will continue to get more E-9's than Chiefs. Careerism is IMHO one of the biggest problems for the AF. We had a Chief at the KC-135 FTU give the same new class day speech to booms, and something he would say has always stuck with me. He said "at some point another country(s) would have the same technology as us, the only thing that would separate us would be the skill of the operator. The skill set and knowledge that we gain in tech school and beyond would carry us to victory because we were the most prepared to deal with the situation". So I paraphrased a little but you get my point. We need to be focused on the mission of fighting and winning, and if we aren't doing that then lets look at what can be dropped and lets get back to basics. I am not sure what it will take to make this happen, but maybe sequestration could be the catalyst to a well needed culture shift.

Edits for grammar, spelling, and generally incoherent rants late at night.

Edited by WABoom
  • Upvote 1

I think he was a C-17 Sqd/CC @ CHS. From his intro, he was probably 2 below to LTC.

This.

TC was one of the good Sq/CCs that you're jealous of your bros who get to be in his Sq while you're stuck Box Checker CC. He had a prior life outside of aviation, tactical (WO) experience and knew how to deal with people. When he dropped his papers, it definitely was a shock as he was on the path. I'm positive that this wasn't an attempt to blow up the system, he just didn't want to play the game anymore and is looking forward to moving on with the rest of his life. Excellent article BTW

TC is a great guy and was one of the few actual leaders in the MAF community before he recently became Mr. TC. WIC, 2 BPZ, Intern, #1 on the Hawk list in the MAF... definitely the AMC Golden Boy, but also the guy you were excited to see being labeled that way. He is definitely going on to bigger/better things in his post AF career.

• Upvote 1

And with a few under their breath mutters about "ungrateful, disloyal,'' Big Blue will continue on its merry way never to change.

Kudos to the guy for walking the walk and I bet he has no issue with looking himself in the mirror, but Big Blue simply doesn't care.

Lesson for good and evil to young'uns.

Do you want to be good, Danny?

ted_knight.jpg

I am not sure what it will take to make this happen, but maybe sequestration could be the catalyst to a well needed culture shift.

Won't sequestration just continue to force squadrons to consolidate duties even more? What you say is spot on about the tech part though, that comment is a good way to look at it.

Won't sequestration just continue to force squadrons to consolidate duties even more? What you say is spot on about the tech part though, that comment is a good way to look at it.

Get rid of additional duties? Come on, we need an emergency manager, facility safety manager, and facility anti-terrorism monitor.

Edited by 17D_guy

Favorite part about the post-deployment mental health computer assessment BS: you can't fill it out until 90 days after your return date. Day 91? Email straight to your commander. This seems reasonable; thanks resiliency crew!

Had to rehack my annual and other CBTs today, started with the Suicide Awareness hoping to give me the resiliency to make it through my 69 other ones, yeah it didn't help.

Favorite part about the post-deployment mental health computer assessment BS: you can't fill it out until 90 days after your return date. Day 91? Email straight to your commander. This seems reasonable; thanks resiliency crew!

Let me guess your commander is on leave and day 92 an email to your MAJCOM/CC, because that makes the most logical progression.

I'd kill myself if I were getting all of those e-mails...

I never had the motivation to create Outlook rules until I came back from leave last year. I had over 300 emails after two weeks of leave, and only 10 of them were important, or required my attention for some task. We call our first shirt and chiefs the "Spam Master General".

I hate how this is actually a statistic that is shown at commanders' meetings. CBT completion rates are just another useless statistic that Commander's will get on you for. Our shop recently had to complete CBTs that were not even due in ADLS, but my organization determined they were due. Sadly, this is something that will never end, and I have civilian counterparts who participate in CBTs as well.

We call our first shirt and chiefs the "Spam Master General"

"Hello, I'm the new group first shirt and blah blah"....copy, you just got added to my auto-delete rule. Why is it this group is always the biggest email abuser?