Boss, I quit...

Just because your family is priority number one, it doesn't mean you can't do anything else. Working to put food on the table and a roof overhead covers that priority. Deploying to ultimately keep Americans safe also supports that priority.

The core values say "Service before self", not "Service before family." That's the way I read it.

Aww, you quoted the core values. That's cute. You must be a PME graduate.

And yes, you are right that taking care of my family can be accomplished in other lines of work, and I will be seriously considering that in the not-too-distant future, as I do not see myself continuing to run the rat race of career advancement at the expense of my kid having her father around. We'll see.

Just because your family is priority number one, it doesn't mean you can't do anything else. Working to put food on the table and a roof overhead covers that priority. Deploying to ultimately keep Americans safe also supports that priority.

The core values say "Service before self", not "Service before family." That's the way I read it.

FAIP, right? Also, less kool-aid, more bourbon.

FAIP, right?

Wow, had I known he was a FAIP I don't think I would have glorified his reply WRT this topic with a response, but I suppose it keeps the conversation moving along.

Family first. I almost fucked that up. Don't.

Sage advice that I have had given to me in-person from a wide variety of people on many occasions.

I'm proud of my service and of the service of those I've flown with. That being said, I would be content to walk away from it all today. I feel satisfied that I've "done my part". There are other things out there. At this point in my career, I am going to need to be convinced to stay in. As I am not special, and the AF machine will continue on long after I would leave, I am not expecting much in the way of "convincing".

• Upvote 3

I knew this old, crusty, Marine Fighter Pilot who told the officers in his squadron:

"You can make a Marine choose between his family and the Corps only so many times before the Corps eventually loses out."

He told me that while him and his wife were trying to adopt their child that he deployed his @ss off, volunteering for every single exercise and "cruise" he could, because the way the state law was written at the time, he had to stay in the country from the time they got the approval till they actually picked up the kid from the foster home. When all this was going on they wanted to send him on a cruise which would have meant they would have lost their only chance to have a child. When he went in to his squadron commander to tell him that he was willing to resign his commission to be a father, his squadron commander actually took care of him and set him up for a later deployment.

I knew this old, crusty, Marine Fighter Pilot who told the officers in his squadron: "You can make a Marine choose between his family and the Corps only so many times before the Corps eventually loses out." He told me that while him and his wife were trying to adopt their child that he deployed his @ss off, volunteering for every single exercise and "cruise" he could, because the way the state law was written at the time, he had to stay in the country from the time they got the approval till they actually picked up the kid from the foster home. When all this was going on they wanted to send him on a cruise which would have meant they would have lost their only chance to have a child. When he went in to his squadron commander to tell him that he was willing to resign his commission to be a father, his squadron commander actually took care of him and set him up for a later deployment.

Or having functioning sperm, technique only.

• Upvote 1

That's some serious cognitive dissonance going on. Your family is a personal concern, and has nothing to do with the mission, thus is "self". I'm not saying it's wrong to put family first, but don't sit there and tell us that you're operating without self interest.

Putting yourself #1 is no different than putting your family #1. Be self interested all you want, but at least be a man and own up to it.

your time in Big Blue will end when you decide you have someplace better to be. It's that simple.

The other side to this is that the Big AF doesn't really care about you. If every general in the Pentagon disappeared tonight, the parties thrown by the O-6s would be legendary. The Air Force doesn't take care of people...people take care of people. If you're surrounded by sh*theads, expect to be treated accordingly. More importantly, if the organization you're part off seems to encourage and develop said sh*theads, you might wish to consider a different line of work.

Huge 2 on this one.

Disruptive Thinkers and Opportunistic Leadership

On deployment, junior leaders spend every day face to face with what works and what doesn’t, what matters and what doesn’t, and what needs to change. They are invested with the responsibility and ability to adapt their actions to their environment. When the deployment ends, this ability is stripped from them. They are ensconced in a straightjacket of legacy bureaucracy, regulations, and traditions. Not only is their ability to make decisions stripped from them, but they have no access to those that do have the power to make improvements. They are told by their organization that, no matter what they have seen or done or accomplished, they are not smart enough to know what needs to change. Grown men and women, aged beyond their years by the hardships of war, are told to stay in their room. They’ll understand when they’re older. There should be no surprise that these men and women seek to take their talents elsewhere. It is a paradoxical problem. An organization requires both bureaucracy to sustain itself and innovative thinking to improve. Yet, the bureaucracy stifles innovative thinking and innovative thinking threatens bureaucracy.
  • Upvote 2

Or having functioning sperm, technique only.

Some people are willing to help out the hundreds of thousands of children- both domestic and worldwide- by taking them out of really shitty situations and providing them with a better life. Functioning sperm or not. Technique only.

Aww, you quoted the core values. That's cute. You must be a PME graduate.

ASBC in Residence six years ago. I'm quite proud of that.

FAIP, right? Also, less kool-aid, more bourbon.

How is this view point drinking the kool-aid? If you knew me at all, you'd realize I hate the kool-aid and bourbon (kool-aid in disguise). I'm more of a Dr. Pepper guy.

Wow, had I known he was a FAIP I don't think I would have glorified his reply WRT this topic with a response, but I suppose it keeps the conversation moving along.

haters-gonna-hate-2.jpg

I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like the Army has had a quiet revolution among its officers Maj and below in the last five years that simply hasn't happened in the Air Force. With the guidance from Gen Petreas to young leaders that "In the absence of orders, you should figure out what the orders should have been and execute that," folks like CPT Travis have come up with ideas like "How to win in Al Anbar." They've been able to innovate, test these ideas on the battlefield, and duplicate the good ones out to everyone in the AOR.

The Air Force has been fighting various shades of the same fights since March 1991. As a result, we haven't had the absolute transformation that the Army has in terms of a young leader's ability to innovate. In my view, we've had continuous top-down evolution in the form of updated systems and equipment, but not nearly as much push upwards from our young folks. We've evolved into the ground combat support force that we are today. It will take a revolution to get us back to a force that can capture and maintain absolute air supremacy....I hope we have the environment that allows push-up rapid innovation before the time when it is needed.

First of all, I don't know a single fighter pilot that is reaching their commitment and not either getting out completely or transitioning to the ANG / Reserve.

What are they going to do for employment when they get out? Just curious.

What are they going to do for employment when they get out? Just curious.

I love this comeback. I am separating soon and I get this question from the robots all the time, as if I am DOOMED!! I am sure it's just curiosity (morbid curiosity). But for the guys who will separate, they will figure something out. There are loads of opportunities.

• Upvote 1

I love this comeback. I am separating soon and I get this question from the robots all the time, as if I am DOOMED!! I am sure it's just curiosity (morbid curiosity). But for the guys who will separate, they will figure something out. There are loads of opportunities.

So what are you going to do for employment?

I apologize, I'll cut back on the drunk posting. Sometimes I think I'm funny and then realize later I was just being a dick.

It's totally cool. This guy could kill you with a spoon. Glad he isn't on here. Cheers!