IG investigation against 121 ARW/CC

B52gator

Sounds like a giant booze-fueled sex romp...

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/04/MONDAYair-force-sexual-relationships-rampant-in-wing-041811w/

and

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/04/MONDAY1air-force-ig-details-conduct-botchie-041811w/

I wasn't around during the Air Force of the 70s and 80s, but I imagine this environment was very similar to what took place back then. There has been a lot of this going around lately it seems like...I don't know if it is happening more or big blue is cracking down more, I am guessing it is the latter.

Sounds like a giant booze-fueled sex romp...

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/04/MONDAYair-force-sexual-relationships-rampant-in-wing-041811w/

and

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/04/MONDAY1air-force-ig-details-conduct-botchie-041811w/

I wasn't around during the Air Force of the 70s and 80s, but I imagine this environment was very similar to what took place back then. There has been a lot of this going around lately it seems like...I don't know if it is happening more or big blue is cracking down more, I am guessing it is the latter.

Wow, I'm surprised it took this long for this story to end up here.

I love the description of his profile pic in the second link. FAIL!

Brig. Gen. Tom Botchie and members of the 121st Air Refueling Wing, Columbus, Ohio, show their Buckeye pride at an Ohio State designed road block in Al Uehdid, Qatar
Edited by SocialD

I love the description of his profile pic in the second link. FAIL!

I got a kick out of that too. My favorite part was the length of the report:

The conclusions of the 69-page report, released in late March to Air Force Times under the Freedom of Information Act

That couldn't have worked out better.

“Surely [the senior master sergeant] would not have forgotten over 175 phone calls that Col. McMahon had made to her over approximately 18 months,” the report stated, “and her response indicated a purposeful avoidance of the issue and a consciousness of guilt.”

So calling someone that works for you 10 times a month is suspicious? And the report (which I can only assume is supposed to be factual) condemned her because of the way she answered? Shenanigans.

“Surely [the senior master sergeant] would not have forgotten over 175 phone calls that Col. McMahon had made to her over approximately 18 months,” the report stated, “and her response indicated a purposeful avoidance of the issue and a consciousness of guilt.”

So calling someone that works for you 10 times a month is suspicious? And the report (which I can only assume is supposed to be factual) condemned her because of the way she answered? Shenanigans.

That's assuming, of course, she worked directly for him. What if she was a SMSgt in LRS or CE for example? Surely they shouldn't be getting 10 calls a month from the Wing King and if they did you would think they would remember why.

ANG

Any casual reader of this blog site should have the perspective that there exists mis-behavior in all of the components. My narrow experience was that it was worse active duty, but that's hardly a basis for asserting a conclusion about the active duty air force. The ANG is vulnerable to this sort of long term fiefdom clown act because of the absence of PCS moves, but promoting and PCS-ing insufferable dolts so they can spread their poison broadly is a vulnerablity of the other components. The many subjects and comments in this site are testament.

I admit that I believe most ANG members cringe when they see stories like this.

Edited by B52Herc

My old Vietnam-era DO once told me many years ago, the higher you get up the ladder, the more people you have looking up your skirt.

This guy was probably cool as hell and he paid dearly for it. While it is possible to go from enlisted troop to officer to wing CC in an ANG/AFR unit, it's probably not a good idea. People know you too well and will use your past against you. Then when a "have" turns into a "have not", the people you thought had your back will turn on you.

A valuable lesson for those looking to move on up the ladder.

My narrow experience was that it was worse active duty...

Huh? NFW.

I admit that I believe most ANG members cringe when they see stories like this.

Agreed. I don't know about most, but many do.

Just as many are not surprised at all that things like this are happening...although they are surprised when someone makes a big deal about it.

"He vacationed with a chief master sergeant and bought an investment home from a major."

Wow. If that isn't inappropriate, I don't know what is. Who gives a shit about either of these two points?

It depends. The Chief might have been his lifelong friend, lived across the street and went to gradeschool with and are married to each other's sisters.

The Major could be a cousin or nephew.

These kinds of things are common in ANG units and not a problem as long as things can remain professional at work. However, your response clearly demonstrates how even the simplest thing could be taken out of context as favoritism/cronyism...which is EXTREMELY common in the ANG. If you are surprised by how some people get promoted on AD you would fall out of your chair if you knew the bufoonery surrounding the O-6 and above promotion system in the ANG.

Short answer, this is the Achilles heel of the ANG. Far less common in AFRES because they make their leaders move around.

Guest Crew Report

Last time I checked, making a one time purchase (such as an investment home) from a subordinate is not an unprofessional relationship.

So you'd buy a home from an A1C in your squadron?

Short answer, this is the Achilles heel of the ANG. Far less common in AFRES because they make their leaders move around.

Really? Supporting data? C'mon, it's all about metrics, and I'm calling you out on this one!

When I was in HI, there was an E6 in the OSS driving a new 7 series BMW. Had a side business in real estate. And yeah, I've met some really smart A1C's I could imagine pulling that off.

Point is, there are far and few between. We all know the pay scales.

You know many A1C homeowners? If so, the kind of house an O-4+ would be looking at?

Are we talking an active A1C, or a guard A1C? Had an buddy (A1C) making just under 100k and numerous SrA - SSgt friends making well over 100k, in their civilian jobs!

Edited by SocialD

Really? Supporting data? C'mon, it's all about metrics, and I'm calling you out on this one!

Yes really.

No, I'm not going to get lured into a "smear a bag o'shit all over the ANG" fest.

You can call me out all day. Anyone that denies the underlying truth of what I said is either not familiar or not objective.

While it is possible to go from enlisted troop to officer to wing CC in an ANG/AFR unit, it's probably not a good idea.

Not possible in AFRC.

Like active duty, we get new DOs, OG/CCs, and WG/CCs every 2-4 yrs. And just like active duty, sometimes they are shit-hot leaders...sometimes not so much.