Baseops Forums
DC

Credit Cards / Cash Back & Rewards Options

On 12/30/2015 at 7:02 AM, MilitaryToFinance said:

I've been using a United Visa card for years now but no longer travel enough to find it that useful and am looking to switch to a points or cash back card. Never had a points card before so I'm not sure how flexible they really are in using the points. Does anybody have a good experience with any of them in particular? Or is it better to just stick with a good cash back card and forget trying to accumulate points?

go do a little light reading over at thepointsguy.com and you can see how flexible points can be with the right card.

Edited by stract

Anyone here have experience with the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card.  They advertise 100,000 bonus points if you spend $4000 in the first 3 months, 3x points on travel and restaurants, and $300 annual travel credit.  The annual fee is $495 but I was wondering if anyone knew if they offered a similar deal to AMEX by waiving fees to Active Duty individuals?

Anyone here have experience with the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card.  They advertise 100,000 bonus points if you spend $4000 in the first 3 months, 3x points on travel and restaurants, and $300 annual travel credit.  The annual fee is $495 but I was wondering if anyone knew if they offered a similar deal to AMEX by waiving fees to Active Duty individuals?

No waiving on this one unfortunately. But the $300 travel credit is for calendar year so if you get it now you get the credit for 2016 and 2017 and can cancel the card before the next annual fee is due, netting you $150 plus the 100K points.

No waiving on this one unfortunately. But the $300 travel credit is for calendar year so if you get it now you get the credit for 2016 and 2017 and can cancel the card before the next annual fee is due, netting you $150 plus the 100K points.

Thanks Goblin

I just signed up for the Citi Double Cash card.  No annual fee, 1% back on all purchases and 1% additional when you pay your bill.  Going to give that a go this year switching from USAA where I was getting 1% cash back.

I just signed up for the Citi Double Cash card.  No annual fee, 1% back on all purchases and 1% additional when you pay your bill.  Going to give that a go this year switching from USAA where I was getting 1% cash back.

Not a bad deal, but you should consider the offerings from American Express and Barclaycard. Both will waive annual fees for active duty, and Barclay offers 0% APR.

On the Amex side I have three Platinum cards (Normal, Mercedes, and Business) which all give me a $200 annual airline credit among many other useful perks. The SPG Business card (free Sheraton Club access), Hilton Surpass (HHonors gold status and a crapton of points on dining and fuel purchases), Delta reserve (annual domestic business class companion pass), and Delta Platinum Business (annual domestic coach companion pass).

As far as Barclay, I have their Arrival+, which effectively gives 2.1% back when redeemed for travel, Hawaiian Airlines, and American Airlines cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

On an added note, I've been able to redeem credit card sign up bonuses for several vacations. Last year we redeemed three free nights at the Hyatt Zilara Cancun, then flew roundtrip to Hawaii on Delta and stayed 5 nights each at the Sheraton Waikiki and Ritz Carlton Maui. This spring we're flying First Class to Cancun and then probably doing Hawaii again in the fall, all on points.

Dunno about all of those mentioned, but Barclaycard and AMEX Platinum are both waived for me.

My Barclaycard is also set at 0% APR. I churn points by purchasing everything I can with it, and going big on the card when PCSing pretty much always earns me enough points to pay for a couple tickets to someplace nice. All at 0% APR, so it's no-hassle when USAF decides to be a few months late repaying my travel voucher.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2017 at 2:47 AM, ihtfp06 said:

Not a bad deal, but you should consider the offerings from American Express and Barclaycard. Both will waive annual fees for active duty, and Barclay offers 0% APR.

On the Amex side I have three Platinum cards (Normal, Mercedes, and Business) which all give me a $200 annual airline credit among many other useful perks. The SPG Business card (free Sheraton Club access), Hilton Surpass (HHonors gold status and a crapton of points on dining and fuel purchases), Delta reserve (annual domestic business class companion pass), and Delta Platinum Business (annual domestic coach companion pass).

As far as Barclay, I have their Arrival+, which effectively gives 2.1% back when redeemed for travel, Hawaiian Airlines, and American Airlines cards.

I thought about some of these but didn't want to deal with paying an annual fee or closing the account after leaving active duty.

I thought about some of these but didn't want to deal with paying an annual fee or closing the account after leaving active duty.

In many cases you can convert the account to a no annual fee version of the card.

• Upvote 1

This was news to me: 

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclaycard-significantly-cuts-benefits-active-duty-military-cardholders/

BLUF:  Barclaycard is no longer going to drop interest rates/fees to zero on their cards for active duty servicemembers.

Current cardholders are grandfathered until they leave active duty, however.

• Upvote 1

I'd be happier if the Uber credit weren't limited to $15/month (higher in December), but I'll take it!

Uber overseas doesn't count, btw. US only.

For those who bank with USAA and don't already play the credit card rewards game, this is a great one-card solution.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/bank_cc_limitless_cashback_visa_signature

BL: limitless 2.5% cashback on every purchase, no annual fee, the only catch is you have to direct deposit at least $1K monthly with USAA.

Even for those with a handful of rewards cards already I think it has a place. I applied and was approved 10 seconds later and it doesn't appear like it's affected by any kind of 5/24 rule like Chase. Adding to my roster of travel cards and will be used for anything that doesn't qualify for a higher rewards rate on another card.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 3

Anyone get hit with the Barclaycard annual fee $995, due to changes in their terms?  I called and was informed that because I was AD prior to getting the card I don't qualify for the no annual fee but they would still honor the 0%

Anyone get hit with the Barclaycard annual fee $995, due to changes in their terms?  I called and was informed that because I was AD prior to getting the card I don't qualify for the no annual fee but they would still honor the 0%

Cancel it. You'll either get the full amount (if within 1 month) or a proration back. You could also see if they would convert it to a no-annual fee card such as the Barclaycard Arrival.

15 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Cancel it. You'll either get the full amount (if within 1 month) or a proration back. You could also see if they would convert it to a no-annual fee card such as the Barclaycard Arrival.

thanks,

I did cancel it and got the money back.  Oh well at least I got a free Stratus 2S receiver out of the signup offer.

This was news to me: 

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclaycard-significantly-cuts-benefits-active-duty-military-cardholders/

BLUF:  Barclaycard is no longer going to drop interest rates/fees to zero on their cards for active duty servicemembers.
Current cardholders are grandfathered until they leave active duty, however.

Yeah I screwed up and applied for the Arrival card before checking as I already have AA card at 0%

For those of you who had a credit card with USAA before commissioning, you might want to contact them about SCRA.  They retroactively applied a 4% APR to my card.  They've given me the reduced 4% APR for PCS and deployment in the past, but never retroactively.

Cranium's up, if you're considering the Platinum from Amex, you can hook a bro up by using my link:

http://refer.amex.us/DOUGLMPUP8?xl=cp01-137

You get 60k points when you spend $5k in three months. I get 15k points for you using my link. It's a win/win. They're still waiving the $550 fee for active duty military. Tons of benefits, as mentioned in this thread. 

Anyone have AMEX waive the fee for a second platinum card as well? I bit the bullet and got my wife a card so I can get her TSA Pre Check. Talked to two separate agents on the phone and they gave me two separate answers (absolutely yes and maybe).