Credit Cards / Cash Back & Rewards Options

12 hours ago, mp5g said:

I’ve had them waived with as little as 3 months of ADOS. 

Do they waive them forever after that, or just as long as your orders state?  Obviously the intent of the program is to waive fees for as long as you're active, but I feel like the overhead of keeping track of that is way too much for the bank to actually care.

On 11/5/2017 at 11:11 PM, stract said:

CSR is $450 (so $100 cheaper than AMEX Plat), comes with SPG Gold, which means you get Marriott Gold, $100 GE credit, $300 travel credit, Priority Pass.  So in the years you don't use the GE credit, the card is still only $150 annual fee after the $300 travel expense credit.  Plus I think the Ultimate Rewards points go farther.  But that's just me.  I have the best of both worlds because I'm also an additional cardholder on a family member's AMEX Plat.

If you travel a lot, CSR is an excellent deal, even with that fee.  Like you say, the fee is really only $150, because who doesn't spend at least $300 on some kind of travel in a year?  But then you get 3x points on the travel, and then on top of that they count 1.5x when you book travel with those points.  I only use my points to book hotels and flights, so to me the points are worth a lot more than most other cards.  I travel a and eat out lot so my overall average point per dollar spent is around 2, and then every time I book stuff I'm getting 1.5x, so in the end I'm sitting around 3 points per dollar spent, which is around $2000 worth of points per year for me.  On top of all that, you get airline mileage and hotel points on stuff you booked with points, which I never got with my airline cards that just give straight miles.

Edited by iceman

8 hours ago, iceman said:

Do they waive them forever after that, or just as long as your orders state?  Obviously the intent of the program is to waive fees for as long as you're active, but I feel like the overhead of keeping track of that is way too much for the bank to actually care.

You can check the status of your mil orders on a SCRA website, which is what they reference. Pretty much as soon as my orders ended, they sent me the letter stating I’d be charged the yearly fee, and within a billing cycle I was billed. 

However, AMEX is amazing at paying you back annual fees when you go on orders. Banking on that when I get an upcoming set for 4 months this next year. 

2 hours ago, brabus said:

That website only shows me leaving AD, but no mention of the periods I've been on orders during my time in the guard so far.  So, how do I either make that website reflect correctly, or do I just send AMEX a copy of orders?

You can email them your orders. 

21 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Has anyone heard AMEX isn’t waiving the full fee any longer?

If so what have you heard and where did you get your data?

I have not heard that and have recently hit card anniversaries on two cards plus an additional cardholder without fees being applied.  About three months ago, I was reimbursed for three years of fees for a different account.  This does not mean they have not changed policy, but my experience suggests that they have not reversed course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

For those with an AMEX Platinum or thinking about getting one, here’s another not so well known benefit. In addition to getting automatic Hilton Gold Elite Status, the card also gives you SPG Gold Status. SPG was bought out by Marriott recently and Marriott is matching your SPG status, so add Marriott Gold Status to the list. All you have to do is link the two rewards accounts and the status transfers in a couple days!

Also, annual fee is still being waived for AD.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Know several guys who have the platinum, seems to be the best amex out there. I convinced them to waive my delta reserve card fee as a technician, so don't want to push my luck with a new high-fee card,  but I will once I'm on a longer set of orders at some point. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2016 at 6:01 AM, Ziplip said:

Anyone here have experience with the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card.  They advertise 100,000 bonus points if you spend $4000 in the first 3 months, 3x points on travel and restaurants, and $300 annual travel credit.  The annual fee is $495 but I was wondering if anyone knew if they offered a similar deal to AMEX by waiving fees to Active Duty individuals?

I don't think anyone has updated this thread about the Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  They changed the policy and are waiving the annual fee now.  Pretty good deal for us AD bubbas.  

• Like 1

+1 to above

Chase recently waived/refunded the annual fees on several cards that I have, including chase sapphire reserve. If you’re AD or on active orders in the Guard call them up. 

Edited by nsplayr

+1 to above
Chase recently waived/refunded the annual fees on several cards that I have, including chase sapphire reserve. If you’re AD or on active orders in the Guard call them up. 

Did you have the card before October 2017? I saw this a few months ago and tried for both my CSR and Ink and they denied it because the policy was only for accounts opened after that. I considered cancelling and reopening but hadn’t gotten around to it.

54 minutes ago, olevelo said:

Did you have the card before October 2017? I saw this a few months ago and tried for both my CSR and Ink and they denied it because the policy was only for accounts opened after that. I considered cancelling and reopening but hadn’t gotten around to it.

I did, yea...have has both CSR (converted from a CSP) and Ink Business card for several years. IDK, try again with a different person maybe? I was surprised they waived mine since my active orders were short-term but hey, I'll take it!

I did, yea...have has both CSR (converted from a CSP) and Ink Business card for several years. IDK, try again with a different person maybe? I was surprised they waived mine since my active orders were short-term but hey, I'll take it!

Hmm thanks. I’ll try again! I used the secure message stuff before.

No-go. Called and she said the same thing about having to have opened the account after 20 Sept 2017. I said I know multiple who had accounts before then and they were approved and she said there’s no way. Said maybe SCRA, but I’m not eligible because I opened the account after being on active duty. She also said that business accounts aren’t eligible for MLA so my Ink wouldn’t be covered anyway.

I said but I can just cancel and re-apply then I’d get MLA, but she said that it’s a risk because they have a new review process and they might not approve the application.

Tempted to risk anyway because although I’m only essentially paying $150 after the travel credit, the whole thing pisses me off. But I would lose the bonus redemption rate on UR points.

6 hours ago, olevelo said:

No-go. Called and she said the same thing about having to have opened the account after 20 Sept 2017. I said I know multiple who had accounts before then and they were approved and she said there’s no way. Said maybe SCRA, but I’m not eligible because I opened the account after being on active duty. She also said that business accounts aren’t eligible for MLA so my Ink wouldn’t be covered anyway.

I said but I can just cancel and re-apply then I’d get MLA, but she said that it’s a risk because they have a new review process and they might not approve the application.

Tempted to risk anyway because although I’m only essentially paying $150 after the travel credit, the whole thing pisses me off. But I would lose the bonus redemption rate on UR points.

Man, that sucks dude. I have no idea why they let me through their vetting process but I guess it's a good heads up for next year if they decide to turn it off.

• 8 months later...

I didn't want to de-rail the GTC discussion, but if you have the Chase sapphire reserve I would suggest getting the Hilton Aspire card, there are some great benefits to it.  $250 dollars for airline fees but I have gotten gift cards with American Airlines with no issues.  $250 dollar resort credit at Hilton resorts.  A free hotel stay once a year.  And probably the best perk is automatic Diamond status with Hilton.  

Chase waives the annual fee for AD.  I am not sure if we can share referral codes but I would happily share mine via PM to get 20K hilton points.  

I didn't want to de-rail the GTC discussion, but if you have the Chase sapphire reserve I would suggest getting the Hilton Aspire card, there are some great benefits to it.  $250 dollars for airline fees but I have gotten gift cards with American Airlines with no issues.  $250 dollar resort credit at Hilton resorts.  A free hotel stay once a year.  And probably the best perk is automatic Diamond status with Hilton.  
Chase waives the annual fee for AD.  I am not sure if we can share referral codes but I would happily share mine via PM to get 20K hilton points.  

Hilton is AMEX, dumbass. I’ll give referrals via PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk