Credit Cards / Cash Back & Rewards Options

So I've had a Cap 1 card for 15 years (3 years before I joined active duty) and applied a couple of months ago for SCRA benefits. Just the other day I received a $925 credit on my account. Awesome deal if you have had a card since before you went active duty. Took 8-7 minutes on their website. Worth looking into. 

Does the AMEX annual fee refund automatically apply to new cards picked up after the initial card fee waiver?

Not always. I’ve been charged the fee on a new card once or twice (out of 10 or 11 cards total) but it was quickly resolved by reapplying for SCRA online.

• 3 weeks later...

Airline guys....Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Platinum?

I absolutely don't need a premium card, I just kinda want one.

I have Diamond statues with Hilton and for airline travel it gets me pretty much the square root of fuck all.  Every once in a while (layover) I'll get free breakfast or lounge access, but it's the exception not the rule.  Flew with a new hire with Platinum who said it gets him access every Hilton/Marriott he stays at.  Anyone confirm this experience?

Airport lounge access when non-rev or jumpseating?  Feel like I've read mixed results with Amex, I don't recall reading much about Chase.

If I get one of these I want the one that will most improve non rev travel with the wife (airport lounges, better hotel rooms when on my dime) and make my layovers better (food, lounge, whatever)

If it matters, I'm a Delta guy that lives in Atlanta.  I'm retired so will pull full freight on either card.

It's easy to compare the cards in a general sense online.  But when I look at specifics of being an airline pilot who doesn't buy a lot of plane tickets, gets a little harder for me.

Any thoughts appreciated.

On 10/28/2017 at 11:36 AM, sputnik said:

Airline guys....Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Platinum?

I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve when they offered 100,000 points which was essentially $1,500 worth of airline tickets.  Great deal since $200 of the $450 annual fee was offset quickly with various travel related credits.  Club access is only for Priority Pass Select which can be limited.  And no Hotel benefits.  As a result, now that I've used my 100,000 points, I'll be switching to the AMEX Platinum before my Chase annual fee comes due.  AMEX offers Sky Club AND Priority Pass access plus Gold status at 3 hotel chains.  Costs more but with $200 in US Uber credit PLUS $200 in travel credit, it's a way better deal IMO.

On another note, I just got my 4th Amex Platinum (regular, business, mercedes and now Charles Schwaab). $800 a year in airline gift cards and $600 in uber credits!

6 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

The TPG article you link states that the CSP and United Explorer (both of which have a ~$100 annual fee) qualify for the same benefit. No reason to get the CSR and pay that annual fee when you can get better benefits from the AMEX without playing any annual fee.

You cannot get the annual fee waiver while retired.  My cost/benefit ratio is different, and the AMEX airlines are a weird bunch, though the lounge access would be nice.

Edited by matmacwc

You cannot get the annual fee waiver while retired.  My cost/benefit ratio is different, and the AMEX airlines are a weird bunch, though the lounge access would be nice.

I understand what you’re saying, but as a retiree, I would think your best option would be either the CSP with its low annual fee or the Amex plat at 550 with SPG, Hilton, and Marriott gold, Delta sky club, Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass, $200 in airline credit, $200 in Uber credit, $100 in Global Entry Credit, AMEX offers. Sapphire Reserved hasn’t piqued my interest in the least. To each his own, however.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:48 PM, matmacwc said:

Yeah, you're correct, it does have that "benefit" but it's not definitely not as useful as Marriott Gold.  Have yet to find the CSR hotels useful because it allows you to book high end hotels around the world like The Carlyle in NY at the great price of only $831 a night in October, or the Shangri-La in Hong Kong for a mere $450 or so a night.  But again, I signed up for the CSR only because of the $1500 in airline tickets and $200 in airline credits.  So for the $450 annual fee, I got 4 round trip tickets to take the kids to see their grandparents without hassling with non-reving, and also got $200 worth of credits which Chase defines VERY broadly.   Even with the 50,000 miles currently offered, that's $750 dollars worth of airline tickets plus the $200 travel credit and $100 Global Entry fee.  Definitely a win if you only use it for the first year.   I also use it to buy any food at restaurants at home and on the road as it pays 3x points for restaurants.  Which are then useable at 1.5x for airline tickets.

Edited by RTB
Correct dining points value
  • Like 1

Of note when comparing CSP (Chase Sapphire Preferred) vs CSR (Chase Sapphire Reserve):

CSP gives 2x points on travel and dining for the $95 annual fee.

CSR gives 3x points on travel and dining, a $300 travel credit per year (defined quite broadly), up to $100 credit to sign up for Global Entry, for the $450 annual fee (plus $75 per additional card).

Do the math on how much you spend on travel and dining and how you value Chase points to see which is worth it for you. My math says CSR and so that's what I use.

Anyone AD or their spouse that applies for any chase cards after 20 Sept now gets the annual fees waived.

It is not SCRA and it is not retroactive.

I have some CSR referrals left if anyone wants to go that route now that the annual fee is waived. (Automatically, I might add).

• Upvote 1

On 10/30/2017 at 11:14 PM, ihtfp06 said:

I understand what you’re saying, but as a retiree, I would think your best option would be either the CSP with its low annual fee or the Amex plat at 550 with SPG, Hilton, and Marriott gold, Delta sky club, Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass, $200 in airline credit, $200 in Uber credit, $100 in Global Entry Credit, AMEX offers. Sapphire Reserved hasn’t piqued my interest in the least. To each his own, however.

CSR is $450 (so $100 cheaper than AMEX Plat), comes with SPG Gold, which means you get Marriott Gold, $100 GE credit, $300 travel credit, Priority Pass.  So in the years you don't use the GE credit, the card is still only $150 annual fee after the $300 travel expense credit.  Plus I think the Ultimate Rewards points go farther.  But that's just me.  I have the best of both worlds because I'm also an additional cardholder on a family member's AMEX Plat.