Credit Cards / Cash Back & Rewards Options

5 hours ago, Smokin said:

For what its worth, realize that the biggest benefits to having these cards come simply by having them.  For day to day spending, other than a bonus category, the USAA 2.5% cash back card is pretty much impossible to beat.  I have the better part of a dozen credit cards at a given time and the USAA is my go-to as I haven't found anything else to beat 2.5%.

Not to knock cash-back, but the new AMEX Blue Business looks to be potentially better with everyday spend at 2 MR points for every dollar of spend (up to 50k).  Hawaiian and Delta are both transfer partners at a 1:1 ratio, and they often run 25% bonus promos.  There are creative ways to get even more value from MR points:  for example, if you transfer points to FlyingBlue (Air France/KLM) you can then redeem them for flights on Delta for really low point quantities, comparatively. 

On 6/14/2017 at 3:15 AM, Smokin said:

For what its worth, realize that the biggest benefits to having these cards come simply by having them.  For day to day spending, other than a bonus category, the USAA 2.5% cash back card is pretty much impossible to beat.  I have the better part of a dozen credit cards at a given time and the USAA is my go-to as I haven't found anything else to beat 2.5%.

Do they charge any foreign transaction fees on this card?

Amen. USAA Limitless is my go-to card for anything not in a high bonus category for some other card. 3 months in and everything has been smooth...can't beat the 2.5% cash back for all purchases.

2.5% cash back is nice for not putting any work into anything, but you can get such a better value from points like Chase UR and SPG that blow 2.5% out of the water if you do the leg work.

Trip Report from my last point redemption:
604df896824698d8dc19fdca31487f7a.jpg

2.5% cash back is nice for not putting any work into anything, but you can get such a better value from points like Chase UR and SPG that blow 2.5% out of the water if you do the leg work.

Trip Report from my last point redemption:
604df896824698d8dc19fdca31487f7a.jpg

Great redemption! If you hadn't redeemed points, how much cash would you have been willing to pay for the int'l first class flights?

I went a little more frugal with the 120k Starwood points I'd racked up. Converted them to 360k Marriotts, which in turn I redeemed for a 7 night stay at the Marriott Kaua'i and 120k Southwest Points (which meant I also earned the SWA Companion Pass for 2 years).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that if you do some serious work, you can beat 2.5%.  For example, one of the AMEX cards gives you 5% for grocery stores.  I've heard of guys going and buying gift cards at grocery stores for all their other shopping to max that out.  I'd just worry I'd lose one and then would lose more than the money I made.  But as the previous poster alluded to, I only consider it savings if it actually saved me money.  If I wouldn't have bought it or paid that much for it, it's not a savings for me.  $220 for 3 breakfasts?  $16K for a 9 hr flight?  Better be some really personal 'service' inside the first class suite for that price.  Not a chance I'd pay anywhere near that money, so I wouldn't have "saved" $16K.  Finally, I have more than 200K ultimate reward points and I only spent $8K total on two cards to get them.  I'm approaching 300K Marriott rewards points and after the initial $4K in spending on that card, I only use the Marriott card at Marriott properties (and since I'm Platinum, I'd get those breakfasts free also).  The rest of my spending goes on my 2.5% card.  To each their own, I just don't see those numbers as realistic savings.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Smokin said:

I agree that if you do some serious work, you can beat 2.5%.  For example, one of the AMEX cards gives you 5% for grocery stores.  I've heard of guys going and buying gift cards at grocery stores for all their other shopping to max that out.  I'd just worry I'd lose one and then would lose more than the money I made.  But as the previous poster alluded to, I only consider it savings if it actually saved me money.  If I wouldn't have bought it or paid that much for it, it's not a savings for me.  $220 for 3 breakfasts?  $16K for a 9 hr flight?  Better be some really personal 'service' inside the first class suite for that price.  Not a chance I'd pay anywhere near that money, so I wouldn't have "saved" $16K.  Finally, I have more than 200K ultimate reward points and I only spent $8K total on two cards to get them.  I'm approaching 300K Marriott rewards points and after the initial $4K in spending on that card, I only use the Marriott card at Marriott properties (and since I'm Platinum, I'd get those breakfasts free also).  The rest of my spending goes on my 2.5% card.  To each their own, I just don't see those numbers as realistic savings.

I should have mentioned the caveat that those numbers are total for both me and the wife.

The point was just to show that if you want to splurge on a trip that you can get some awesome redemption value out of those points. 

Edited by Goblin

11 hours ago, Goblin said:

Yea, I'm good man, I play the credit card rewards game pretty hard:

- Chase Sapphire Reserve for travel and restaurants, 3x chase ultimate rewards points

- Chase Ink Plus for business expenses, 5x chase ultimate reward points on my cell phone and internet bills

- Chase Freedom for spending on their rotating categories, 5x chase ultimate rewards points in those categories as applicable

- Chase Marriott to help maintain platinum status, although I don't actually use the card even at a Marriott hotel since I value 3x chase UR points from the sapphire reserve higher than the 5x Marriott points I would get here

- Chase Amazon card, 5% cash back for all Amazon purchases

- Target red card, 5% off at target instantly 

- AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, 6% cash back at grocery stores up to $6K per year, 3% cash back on gas

- USAA Limitless, 2.5% cash back on any spending not mentioned above

All this (and the need to travel regularly for my civilian job) has earned me platinum status at Marriott and a Southwest companion pass 2 years running, probably 600K chase points over the last three years, and a few hundred thousand Southwest and Marriott points on top of the top-tier status. Never paid 1 cent in interest.

For those willing to play the game there are ample rewards to be had, my point was that for those not so inclined, USAA Limitless at 2.5% on everything with no upper limit is a pretty good way to roll.

Looks like you had some fun in Europe with your chase points so well played yourself! :beer:

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to find the USAA Limitless Card on their website.  I read on another website that the USAA Limitless Card was released in Fall 2016 to a small sample group on a trial basis.  Seems like a good deal that I'd like to take advantage of.  For those that have it, how did you get it?

When I login to USAA and search for the word "limitless," it's there in the first return. It does say "online pilot, limited availability" so YMMV depending on what that means. I have the card already, so ops checks good in Tennessee.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, TTP said:

I can't seem to find the USAA Limitless Card on their website.  I read on another website that the USAA Limitless Card was released in Fall 2016 to a small sample group on a trial basis.  Seems like a good deal that I'd like to take advantage of.  For those that have it, how did you get it?

I upvoted nsplayr's post on April 3, so I'm guessing that's when I either ordered or received mine. So far I've redeemed a little over $200.00... Well worth it.

http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/earning-cashback/usaa-limitless-cashback-rewards-visa-signature-card-2-5-cashback-coming-soon

It does look like you have to call USAA and give member services your member number to find out whether or not the offer was extended to you. I feel like a member of an exclusive USAA club now.

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, TTP said:

Copy all.  I searched the USAA site and no luck.  Apparently I'm not a part of the Limitless club.  I'll give them a call next week.  Thanks for the help!

It doesn't show up under Products/credit cards?  It's the first option that shows up for me?  It says "online pilot" though.

Edited by uhhello

On 7/1/2017 at 5:25 PM, TTP said:

Copy all.  I searched the USAA site and no luck.  Apparently I'm not a part of the Limitless club.  I'll give them a call next week.  Thanks for the help!

Search limitless, first option on the results page is something to the effect of “Choose which credit card option is best for you.” Pretty generic sounding title, just looks like it’s taking you to a credit card page. Once I clicked that, Limitless was the top option.

19 minutes ago, TTP said:

I called USAA and they stated the Limitless Card wasn't available in my area (NW Florida) yet.  They were unable to provide an estimated timeline.  So, no card for me...

Weird, I’m in FL (not NW though) and got it.

Edited by Sit On Acorns

• 2 months later...
I'm not seeing the matrix on the inter webs.  I'm looking for United, Southwest and Marriot rewards all in one, maybe Chase Sapphire, anyone?

SPG Amex, while it lasts, would be a good option. 25% bonus on 20k transfers to airlines and transfers 1:3 to Marriott points.

I'm not seeing the matrix on the inter webs.  I'm looking for United, Southwest and Marriot rewards all in one, maybe Chase Sapphire, anyone?

2 on the SPG if those are your goals. Solid card all around. PM me if you want a referral link.

On 9/27/2017 at 5:15 AM, matmacwc said:

Anyone ever experienced getting the government rate purchasing though AMEX?  Strange question, I know, but it's how my TDYs work now.

Do you mean booking GOV rate through amextravel.com?  Or just paying for a GOV rate room with an AMEX?  I've done the second many a time, but I don't know of any way to book government rate through the Amex travel portal.

Has anyone cracked the code with AMEX on getting SCRA as an ART? Got it AMEX, I'm not AD anymore (thank God), but I still wear a uniform to work every day as a military officer.  Nothing has changed as far as they should be concerned...but apparently it's completely different.

I wasn't able to get anywhere but my bro called and the dude he talked to didn't care one bit if he was AD or not. Once he explained that he is still in the military full time, the rep continued his SCRA benefits for another year. My thoughts is that it will depend on who you talk to if/when you call in to the rep. 

I just paid the yearly fee but we have a 3-4 monther coming up under Title X that I will be requesting SCRA for, which should mean I get reimbursed for the yearly fee charges on the card.