Credit Cards / Cash Back & Rewards Options

• 2 weeks later...

For those who bank with USAA and don't already play the credit card rewards game, this is a great one-card solution.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/bank_cc_limitless_cashback_visa_signature

BL: limitless 2.5% cashback on every purchase, no annual fee, the only catch is you have to direct deposit at least $1K monthly with USAA.

Even for those with a handful of rewards cards already I think it has a place. I applied and was approved 10 seconds later and it doesn't appear like it's affected by any kind of 5/24 rule like Chase. Adding to my roster of travel cards and will be used for anything that doesn't qualify for a higher rewards rate on another card.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone get hit with the Barclaycard annual fee $995, due to changes in their terms?  I called and was informed that because I was AD prior to getting the card I don't qualify for the no annual fee but they would still honor the 0%

Anyone get hit with the Barclaycard annual fee $995, due to changes in their terms?  I called and was informed that because I was AD prior to getting the card I don't qualify for the no annual fee but they would still honor the 0%

Cancel it. You'll either get the full amount (if within 1 month) or a proration back. You could also see if they would convert it to a no-annual fee card such as the Barclaycard Arrival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Cancel it. You'll either get the full amount (if within 1 month) or a proration back. You could also see if they would convert it to a no-annual fee card such as the Barclaycard Arrival.

thanks,

I did cancel it and got the money back.  Oh well at least I got a free Stratus 2S receiver out of the signup offer.

• 2 weeks later...
This was news to me: 

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclaycard-significantly-cuts-benefits-active-duty-military-cardholders/

BLUF:  Barclaycard is no longer going to drop interest rates/fees to zero on their cards for active duty servicemembers.
Current cardholders are grandfathered until they leave active duty, however.

Yeah I screwed up and applied for the Arrival card before checking as I already have AA card at 0%

• 1 month later...

For those of you who had a credit card with USAA before commissioning, you might want to contact them about SCRA.  They retroactively applied a 4% APR to my card.  They've given me the reduced 4% APR for PCS and deployment in the past, but never retroactively.

• 3 weeks later...

Cranium's up, if you're considering the Platinum from Amex, you can hook a bro up by using my link:

http://refer.amex.us/DOUGLMPUP8?xl=cp01-137

You get 60k points when you spend $5k in three months. I get 15k points for you using my link. It's a win/win. They're still waiving the $550 fee for active duty military. Tons of benefits, as mentioned in this thread. 

Anyone have AMEX waive the fee for a second platinum card as well? I bit the bullet and got my wife a card so I can get her TSA Pre Check. Talked to two separate agents on the phone and they gave me two separate answers (absolutely yes and maybe).

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

I have three platinums (normal, Mercedes, and business) and they waive the fees on all of them.

Anyone have AMEX waive the fee for a second platinum card as well? I bit the bullet and got my wife a card so I can get her TSA Pre Check. Talked to two separate agents on the phone and they gave me two separate answers (absolutely yes and maybe).

Yup. I got my wife and my dad additional platinum cards and the fees are waived for both. All the benefits also extend to the extra cards.

Side note : I would get Global Advantage instead of Pre Check. It's free on the platinum and includes includes international travel

Yup. I got my wife and my dad additional platinum cards and the fees are waived for both. All the benefits also extend to the extra cards.

Side note : I would get Global Advantage instead of Pre Check. It's free on the platinum and includes includes international travel

Thanks for the reply, does Global Entry include Pre Check? We won't use Global Entry much for a few years.

Thanks for the reply, does Global Entry include Pre Check? We won't use Global Entry much for a few years.

Yes, Global Entry is the exact same thing as pre check except that it works CONUS and internationally. Even if you only travel internationally once, it's worth having

Haven't experienced it personally yet, but it's about a 50/50 amongst the ARC bros I know.  It seems to matter based on what orders you're on when AMEX does it's yearly check.  If you happen to be on active orders during the check, fee is waived, if you're not on active orders, then you'll see a fee show up.  That said, my plan is to not call AMEX at all and let it ride; if the fee shows up, I'm calling them and canceling my cards if they don't take it away.  That line has worked for 3 guys I know.

Edit: They waived one guy's fee and took away the other two's fee/canx'd the cards.  So you really can't lose, at least based off this small sample size.  The other ARTs I know just pay the fee because they think the benefits are worth it.  Obviously the AGRs are unaffected.

Edited by brabus

You will receive a Known Traveler ID when you get a Global Entry pass. As long as you enter this number when you make your reservation, you should be good with TSA Pre-Check. Just note that not all airlines participate in TSA Pre-Check.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums

Your DoD ID number is a Known Traveler ID for TSA-Pre. http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/06/your-dod-id-can-shorten-your-wait-at.html?m=1

For what its worth, realize that the biggest benefits to having these cards come simply by having them.  For day to day spending, other than a bonus category, the USAA 2.5% cash back card is pretty much impossible to beat.  I have the better part of a dozen credit cards at a given time and the USAA is my go-to as I haven't found anything else to beat 2.5%.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Smokin said:

For what its worth, realize that the biggest benefits to having these cards come simply by having them.  For day to day spending, other than a bonus category, the USAA 2.5% cash back card is pretty much impossible to beat.  I have the better part of a dozen credit cards at a given time and the USAA is my go-to as I haven't found anything else to beat 2.5%.

Amen. USAA Limitless is my go-to card for anything not in a high bonus category for some other card. 3 months in and everything has been smooth...can't beat the 2.5% cash back for all purchases.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, olevelo said:

Have they expanded the USAA cards to all states yet? Last I looked it was still pretty restricted to who could get it.

No.

AL, AR, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MD, MI, MN, MT, ND, NM, NV, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX and WA