Max Use or Lose Leave

Guest Carson

Guest Carson

Does anyone know if the 75 day use or lose leave policy is still in effect for 2011? Or did it go back to the 60 day max leave.

Trying to make sure I don't lose 15 days.

Thanks.

Does anyone know if the 75 day use or lose leave policy is still in effect for 2011? Or did it go back to the 60 day max leave.

Trying to make sure I don't lose 15 days.

Thanks.

It is 75, but that's for Fiscal Year 11, so you'll lose anything over 60 on 1 Oct. I don't know if there's anything more recent, but here is the most recent article I saw.

From the "DoD Financial Management Regulation" dated June 2010:

"A member may not carry forward a leave balance of more than 60 days into a new fiscal year except during the period October 1, 2008 through September 30, 2013, when 75 days may be carried forward or when entitled to Special Leave Accrual (SLA), as outlined below..."

Link

So as I read this reg, you currently have until 30 Sep 2013 to bring your leave balance down to 60 days. As always, if I have misread something, please let me know--especially being that I have 15+ days of use/loose on top of my 75 days.

• 1 month later...

From the "DoD Financial Management Regulation" dated June 2010:

"A member may not carry forward a leave balance of more than 60 days into a new fiscal year except during the period October 1, 2008 through September 30, 2013, when 75 days may be carried forward or when entitled to Special Leave Accrual (SLA), as outlined below..."

Link

So as I read this reg, you currently have until 30 Sep 2013 to bring your leave balance down to 60 days. As always, if I have misread something, please let me know--especially being that I have 15+ days of use/loose on top of my 75 days.

Can anybody answer if you can carry the 75 days through 2013? Just wondering b/c I currently have 75.5 days of leave and with the summer TDY cycle starting up, I will lose those 15 days if I don't start taking them now!

Take the leave: there's no benefit to keeping 75 on the books anyway. If you're an "O", you can sell back leave once in your career. If you're planning on separating or retiring, it's not likely your command will permit 75+ days of terminal ( at least I haven't seen anything like that in recent years). So, take the leave or sell it back, and keep your balance in the 45-60 range, plan on 30 days terminal, and be stress free about leave balances. Technique only.

Take the leave:

Agree. You must do this. Never lose leave. I did many times and I regret it now. It was stupid.

If you're planning on separating or retiring, it's not likely your command will permit 75+ days of terminal ( at least I haven't seen anything like that in recent years).

Really? Why not?

plan on 30 days terminal

I would strongly disagree. Plan on taking the maximum terminal leave possible, including the days of leave you earn while on terminal leave.

You are far better off taking terminal leave than you are selling the leave. You earned those days and dollars. Don't take anything le$$ than the maximum possible. You will be happy you did.

Take the leave: there's no benefit to keeping 75 on the books anyway. If you're an "O", you can sell back leave once in your career. If you're planning on separating or retiring, it's not likely your command will permit 75+ days of terminal ( at least I haven't seen anything like that in recent years). So, take the leave or sell it back, and keep your balance in the 45-60 range, plan on 30 days terminal, and be stress free about leave balances. Technique only.

I retired just under two years ago and took my permissive TDY + 86 days of terminal leave with no problems. That allowed me to start my post-retirement gig while still getting my AD pay, which was better than driving my wife crazy at home for 3 months...

If you're planning on separating or retiring, it's not likely your command will permit 75+ days of terminal ( at least I haven't seen anything like that in recent years).

Huh...EVERYONE of my friends who have retired in the past two years has taken 60+ days of terminal.

You are far better off taking terminal leave than you are selling the leave. You earned those days and dollars. Don't take anything le$$ than the maximum possible. You will be happy you did.

Absolutely on the second two points. Isn't the first, however, situation-dependent?

I've yet to retire, so my info is second-hand. Talking to folks who've been there, though, the advice I've gotten divides it into three broad categories:

1. You want to no-kidding take a well-earned break, travel the world or sit on your couch & drink beer as suits you--take terminal;
  2. You have a job lined that you want to start ASAP and which aligns well with your "last day"--take terminal (banking two paychecks for the duration!);
  3. HOWEVER, if you don't have the job lined up, or the job starts after your actual retirement date, and you don't want (or cannot afford) to take time off, or you otherwise need to maximize the dollars--work to your actual retirement date (same amount of pay as if you'd taken terminal) and sell the leave (while less valuable than a "full" day's pay on AD and/or on terminal, it's still additional money that you wouldn't otherwise see).

(#3 assumes you have 60 or fewer days to sell, which I think is the max; over 60, take that amount as terminal & sell the 60)

The counter to #3 is using the terminal time to job hunt w/ the security of continuing income; I think that would boil down to individual tolerances.

Edited by Jughead

Isn't the first, however, situation-dependent?

Yes, "it depends" is always the FWIC approved first answer.

[*]HOWEVER, if you don't have the job lined up, or the job starts after your actual retirement date, and you don't want (or cannot afford) to take time off, or you otherwise need to maximize the dollars--work to your actual retirement date (same amount of pay as if you'd taken terminal) and sell the leave (while less valuable than a "full" day's pay on AD and/or on terminal, it's still additional money that you wouldn't otherwise see).

(#3 assumes you have 60 or fewer days to sell, which I think is the max; over 60, take that amount as terminal & sell the 60)

The counter to #3 is using the terminal time to job hunt w/ the security of continuing income; I think that would boil down to individual tolerances.

Ok, a lot in your point #3.

You will want to be free to interview at a moment's notice if you don't already have a job. That means you need to be in/available to be in the market you intend to search for work. I don't see how you can accomplish that if you're not on leave. I know I couldn't have. I retired w/o a job and moved across the country. I probably did ~100 interviews before I chose a job. No way I could've done that while doing my USAF job at the same time. Both would've suffered, not something I wanted to happen.

If you have a job that doesn't start for well beyond your separation/retirement date and you are already settled into the market where your job is and you cannot afford (for some reason) to take leave...then sure, I suppose you could work right up until your separation/retirement date and sell your leave. That would mean you set a separation/retirement date and then accepted a job with a start date well past that date and inside the window to reset your separation/retirement date? Again, this would have to be a pretty dire and/or unusual set of unplanned circumstances in my book.

You want to dismount well. Terminal leave gives you the freedom, flexibility and financial stability to do so.

So, yeah, it depends I guess.

Assuming you can. Between deployments, OREs, ORIs, TDYs, and various spin-ex's, I've had many of my leave plans cancelled.

If you've seen terminal leave approvals greater than 20-30 days recently, good on that unit. Our last four E and O retirements we saw all took less than 30 and sold the rest. Not by choice.

Theoretically the max terminal leave an O can take is 90 days. That assumes having 60 days as of 1 October and then separating the following Sep. (this doesn't take into account any special leave accrual, which would increase this theoretical maximum).

Edited by Chida

This same topic came up recently in the box and this was given to us. If you were deployed for 120 continuous days, then you are pretty much golden to bank the time. Imagine, 120 days of leave on 30 SEP, don't take leave for the next year. Start terminal leave with 150 days on the books plus any PTDY. Too good to be true. I personally have 100+ days of leave with no intention of reducing much until it is time to retire.

Military Pay E-Message 10-035

Subject: Leave carryover extension

REF: E-Message 08-052

This message expires September 30, 2013

The purpose of this message is to provide the Defense Military Pay Offices (DMPOs), Financial Management Companies (FMCOs), U.S. Property and Fiscal Offices (USPFOs), and USAR Pay Centers (UPCs) with additional information regarding Leave Carryover.

The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) 2008 changed the maximum leave carryover (except for special leave accrual and members in a missing status) from 60 days to 75 days from October 1, 2008 through December 31, 2010. The NDAA 2010 extends the 75 day carryover until September 30, 2013.

The NDAA 2010 also extends to September 30, 2013 the longer retention period for the 120 days of leave as special leave accrual (SLA) for members who serve on active duty for a continuous period of at least 120 days in an area where they are entitled to HF/IDP, are assigned to a deployable ship or mobile unit or other duty designated under uniform regulations, or qualifying duty designated by the Secretary of Defense. The 120 days of SLA can be kept until the end of the fourth fiscal year (instead of third fiscal year) after the fiscal year in which the Service members qualified to accumulate up to 120 days leave at the end of the fiscal year.

The NDAA 2008 increase to 120 days the leave carryover for members who serve in support of a contingency until the end of the second fiscal year after the fiscal year in which such service on active duty is terminated. This provision did not have a termination date so it has not changed.

Point of Contact for this message is DFAS-IN.SYSTEMS@DFAS.Mil

SS

• Upvote 1

-----Original Message-----

Subject: Policy and Procedures Update - Extension of Temporary Increase in

Leave Carryover

TOPIC: Extension of Temporary Increase in Leave Carryover

1. Section 504 of the FY 2010 NDAA included a provision to extend the maximum leave carryover of 75 days through 30 September 2013. DFAS General Counsel has determined that members can carry forward up to 75 days from FY 13 to FY 14, but that leave in excess of 60 days will be lost at 1 Oct 2014 unless the law is extended or made permanent.

2. Based on this opinion, and barring any additional changes to the law or policy on this subject, DJMS-AC will allow leave of up to 75 days to be carried forward from 30 Sep 2013 to 1 Oct 2013.

3. This message was coordinated with AFAFO.

4. FSO questions should be directed to their MAJCOMs. MAJCOMs may contact AFAFO.

5. Please ensure the widest dissemination.

DFAS-JFLM/IN

Military Pay Operations - Indianapolis (Air Force)

Chief, System Liaison & Procedures Division

• Upvote 2

Finance Guy,

Do you agree with the my last post and the information that I was given and that if you have 120 days of continuous deployment, that you can carry up to 120 days till the end of the 4th FY after the FY in which the SLA was earned?

Thanks

Finance Guy,

Do you agree with the my last post and the information that I was given and that if you have 120 days of continuous deployment, that you can carry up to 120 days till the end of the 4th FY after the FY in which the SLA was earned?

Thanks

Not exactly. The number of days deployed is not tied to the number you can carry over. And I still believe you have to request the leave be restored. But if you do serve at least 120 days in a CZ then you can request up to 120 days SLA. I don't think it's automatic unless you were serving in a CZ for the 120 days immediately preceeding 1 Oct that same year. Go ask your local FSS since their office is the OPR for initiating special leave accrual requests.

RE: http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/07AIC37-06.pdf

AFMAN 65-116, Volume 1:

44.7. Leave Accrual, etc., for Members Assigned to Hostile Fire Areas:

44.7.1. Members assigned to hostile fire areas for four or more consecutive months, or have been approved for special leave accrual through personnel channels as set forth in AFI 36-3003, are allowed to carry forward more than 60 days of leave from one fiscal year to the next.

44.7.2. This is done for three full fiscal years after departure from the combat zone but is subject to the following limitations:

44.7.2.1. Member can accrue up to 120 days leave in accordance with AFI 36-3003. After departing the combat zone the limit is the balance as of departure from the combat zone.

44.7.2.2. Whenever a member takes leave, the balance as of the end of the leave is compared to the balance as of departure. If the balance as of the end of the leave is less than the balance as of departure, the balance as of the end of the leave becomes the new maximum.

--------------------------------------------

Defense Finance and Accounting Service

8/24/2010 - RAF MILDENHALL, England -- The National Defense Authorization Act 2008 changed the maximum leave carryover (except for special leave accrual and members in a missing status) from 60 days to 75 days from Oct. 1, 2008 through Dec. 31, 2010. The NDAA 2010 extends the 75 day carryover until Sept. 30, 2013.

The NDAA 2010 also extends to Sept. 30, 2013 the longer retention period for the 120 days of leave as special leave accrual (SLA) for members who serve on active duty for a continuous period of at least 120 days in an area where they are entitled to HF/IDP, are assigned to a deployable ship or mobile unit or other duty designated under uniform regulations, or qualifying duty designated by the Secretary of Defense.

The 120 days of SLA can be kept until the end of the fourth fiscal year (instead of third fiscal year) after the fiscal year in which the Service members qualified to accumulate up to 120 days leave at the end of the fiscal year.

The NDAA 2008 increase to 120 days the leave carryover for members who serve in support of a contingency until the end of the second fiscal year after the fiscal year in which such service on active duty is terminated. This provision did not have a termination date so it has not changed.

For more details, contact Darrell Hampton at DSN 238-5559.

Edited by Finance_Guy

So reading that, my understanding is that whatever I leave my deployed location with becomes my new maximum, above 75 days, with the threshold set at 120 days total.

Does that check?

Right, but it may not be an automatic roll-over. You may have to request any leave lost be reinstated using previous said guidance.

• 1 year later...

HOT! Update on Leave Carry over coming at the end of this Fiscal Year - 30 Sep 2013. You have 11 months and 10 days to get down to 60 days unless you have special leave accrual situations.

Previous DFAS correspondence stated the DFAS Office of General Counsel had determined that members could carry the max of 75 days forward from 30 Sep 2013 to 1 Oct 2013. From the email below, this has been reversed. OSD General Counsel has determined that members must be down to a max of 60 days leave by 1 Oct 2013 or they will lose leave. Of course, that does not apply to special leave accrual.

Subject: Policy and Procedures Update - Revised Extension of Temporary Increase in Leave Carryover

TOPIC: Revised Extension of Temporary Increase in Leave Carryover Message

1. This message applies to Active Duty and Reserve/Guard members.

2. Section 504 of the FY 2010 NDAA included a provision extending the maximum leave carryover of 75 days through September 30 2013. Previous guidance (issued May 2010) stated that members could carry up to 75 days forward to October 1, 2013; THAT HAS CHANGED. The DoD Office of General Counsel has determined that members were authorized to carry forward up to 75 days from FY 2012 to FY 2013, but that leave in excess of 60 days as of September 30, 2013, will be lost on

October 1, 2013 (FY 2014), unless the law is extended or made permanent.

3. DJMS-AC allowed members to carry forward up to 75 days from September 30, 2012 to October 1, 2012.

4. Members should be informed that leave other than special leave accrual (SLA) in excess of 60 days on October 1, 2012, and any accrued during FY 2013, should be used by September 30, 2013 to avoid losing it. That means that members who carried forward a balance of 75 days in the BR entry on October 1, 2012, will have to use 45 days of leave this year in order to prevent losing leave. Barring any additional changes to the law or policy on the subject, DJMS-AC will be changed to reduce the maximum from 75 days to 60 days, effective October 1, 2013.

5. OUSD (P&R) indicates it is pursuing a statutory extension to the maximum leave carryover, but it has not yet been passed.

6. AF implementing instructions will be published by AFAFO as needed.

7. Removed.

8. Please ensure the widest dissemination.

9. Removed.

10. Removed.

DFAS-JFLM/IN

Military Pay Operations - Indianapolis (Air Force)

Chief, System Liaison & Procedures Division

• Upvote 1