F-15E Down in Libya

You guys kill me.

The instant I saw Junker 14 I sent Rainman a note saying a Google search would reveal his name (something he might not want you guys plastering all over the place).

He all ready regularly posts his AF Times cover shot here (which has his name on it)...I don't think he's all that concerned about it.

And you should know.

Nice try but that's not my name or rank. These are not the Droids you're looking for.

He all ready regularly posts his AF Times cover shot here (which has his name on it)...I don't think he's all that concerned about it.

If one time counts as regularly I'm guilty. FWIW I fucked that up and pulled it when I realized my name was on it, tumbleweed move on my part.

http://www.lakenheath.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123250470

Ana Eason Harney (wife), Dorene Stark (mother) and Bruce Stark (father) joyfully await the arrival of a C-130 transporting Maj. Kenneth Harney and Capt. Tyler Stark to RAF Lakenheath, England March 26, 2011. The two aircrew members whose, F-15E Strike Eagle crashed in Libya during Operation Odyssey Dawn, were greeted by their family and friends. The 48th Fighter Wing provides all-weather, day or night air superiority and air-to-ground precision combat capability as well as combat search and rescue. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Lee A. Osberry Jr./Released)

Video link:

http://www.lakenheath.af.mil/shared/widgets/popup.asp?url=http://www.lakenheath.af.mil/shared/xml/rssVideo.asp?mrsstype=3&contentid=123250470&contenttypeid=1&type=video&pos=0

I've got no SA on this: is it AF policy that if you get forced down (mishap or otherwise), get rescued in short order without injury, then you still go home? Do you get an opportunity to stay in the fight? Different for POWs, injuries, detained personnel requiring debrief, etc....I get that concept. Or is this a "mishap" and the grounding is part of the normal SIB processes? I remember reading about Ravens, fighters, bombers, etc throughout our history that got forced down, rescued, and flew a line the next day (WWII, Korea, etc)--in fact my ROTC PAS was a Phantom pilot in Vietnam who told us he got shot down, twisted an ankle, got rescued after a short time hiding, and flew again the next week. Then there's other stories like Ogrady--shot down, rescued, sent home. Anyone have a theory on why some stay and some go home?

I've got no SA on this: is it AF policy that if you get forced down (mishap or otherwise), get rescued in short order without injury, then you still go home? Do you get an opportunity to stay in the fight? Different for POWs, injuries, detained personnel requiring debrief, etc....I get that concept. Or is this a "mishap" and the grounding is part of the normal SIB processes? I remember reading about Ravens, fighters, bombers, etc throughout our history that got forced down, rescued, and flew a line the next day (WWII, Korea, etc)--in fact my ROTC PAS was a Phantom pilot in Vietnam who told us he got shot down, twisted an ankle, got rescued after a short time hiding, and flew again the next week. Then there's other stories like Ogrady--shot down, rescued, sent home. Anyone have a theory on why some stay and some go home?

I know the Geneva Convention doesn't allow POW's to return to combat. The US interprets that as the same theater of operations. I would imagine that those dudes somehow massaged that rule to get back in the fight.

Edited by Danger41

I know the Geneva Convention doesn't allow POW's to return to combat. The US interprets that as the same theater of operations. I would imagine that those dudes somehow massaged that rule to get back in the fight.

We had a guy who was a POW that returned to the same theater. I think it is the indiviudal's choice to invoke an exemption or not but I don't know for sure.

We had a pilot that was blown up by his own MK84 back in '91. Punched and the Navy picked him up. We got him back two days later and he was told that he wouldn't be allowed to continue flying missions. He told everyone that they were going to have to send him home then, and when that was 'shot down', he was back in the cockpit a day or two later.

• 9 months later...

Also classic...

"Investigators believe one of the flight maneuvers threw the plane off balance for a variety of technical reasons that the two-man crew could not have anticipated."