F-35 Lightning info

HiFlyer

By antics, do you mean having your kids hate you, because all you care about is work?

You can include this as one of many of Boyd's faults. He's not the only one that has bought into this notion though. I have known enough folks in the Air Force that have learned this lesson the hard way. On the other hand, you cannot discount his contributions to the military in general. As someone who spoke to Boyd on a regular basis once said, "With genius comes all of the other characteristics you can imagine." He was driven by an inherent desire to prove to people his worth. This was an attribute as well as a detriment.

He was a visionary, and like all radical visionaries he was hated for going against the established norm and suggesting change. I can think of several other people who were also disliked for standing up and doing the same.

Good point. Radical visionaries are the ones still studied in history books. Those that carry on the norm are a dime a dozen. "Do you want to do something or be somebody?" That's the sheer genius in Boyd.

Your commitment to the military and the country comes before all else, no?

Negative! Sure, I'll miss some birthdays/anniversaries/holidays. But, we're talking a totally different situation here.

You can include this as one of many of Boyd's faults. He's not the only one that has bought into this notion though. I have known enough folks in the Air Force that have learned this lesson the hard way. On the other hand, you cannot discount his contributions to the military in general. As someone who spoke to Boyd on a regular basis once said, "With genius comes all of the other characteristics you can imagine." He was driven by an inherent desire to prove to people his worth. This was an attribute as well as a detriment.

I never said he wasn't smart or didn't contribute a lot. But at the end of the day, if my family hates me...I have failed!

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

Your commitment to the military and the country comes before all else, no?

No.

No.

no. That might be the right answer on a test in AS100, but that's where it ends.

Edited by day man

I never said he wasn't smart or didn't contribute a lot. But at the end of the day, if my family hates me...I have failed!

Social D, I'm with you. I hate the fact Boyd put his endeavors before his blood, but I am grateful for what he did. It is a shame the Air Force essentially disowned him. It says a lot that most of his research, studies, and writings are with the Marines. It is not suprising though.

• 3 weeks later...

F-16 being upgraded to insure against more F-35 snafu's.

http://defensetech.o...-f-16-upgrades/

3 women were sitting around drinking coffee and talking about their love live. Woman #1 says, 'Girls, my husband is a weight lifter. And, when we make love he is so powerful that it drives me crazy!" Woman #2 says, "My husband is a marathon runner. When we make love, he has such stamina that it is terrific." They both look over to woman #3 for a comment.

"Well," she says. "My husband is lead engineer for the F-35 fighter program. We haven't actually made love yet. But, when we finally do - he says it's going to be incredible!"

Edited by Prosuper
  • Upvote 1

So, dumb question from a non-pilot: Do you have to retrain in each of these airframes separately once they've been upgraded or is it a simple familiarization flight?

Also how long does that take?

There's quite a few different block models ID'd for the upgrade.

Thnx

So, dumb question from a non-pilot: Do you have to retrain in each of these airframes separately once they've been upgraded or is it a simple familiarization flight?

Also how long does that take?

There's quite a few different block models ID'd for the upgrade.

Thnx

Just hope it does not turn into another C-130X disaster, all them different blocks seam to have different engines , GE 110's Pratt 220's and newest blocks having the Pratt 229's.

I'm not holding my breath when it comes to the F-35 being everything to everyone, but I think it'll find a niche. It blows that so much time and money are being thrown at it though. At least the USAF version has a gun, though.

Fck it, I'll fly it if no one else wants to.

• 3 weeks later...

2-star F-35 chief raps Lockheed relations

The general tapped to head the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter effort called the relationship between contractor Lockheed Martin and the program office “the worst I have ever seen,” expressing frustration with the company’s continued performance and production woes.

“It should not take 10, 11 or 12 months to negotiate a contract with someone we’ve been doing business with for 11 years,” he said at a Sept. 17 speech at an Air Force Association-sponsored conference. “There’s something fundamentally wrong with that. We’ve got to fix it.”

Full article here.

I'm not holding my breath when it comes to the F-35 being everything to everyone, but I think it'll find a niche. It blows that so much time and money are being thrown at it though. At least the USAF version has a gun, though.

Fck it, I'll fly it if no one else wants to.

They don't want it to find a niche. They want it to do everything for everyone. Hence, most of the problems.

And I wouldn't consider that piece of shit a gun, for all intents and purposes...

Edited by FallingOsh

They don't want it to find a niche. They want it to do everything for everyone. Hence, most of the problems.

They = Good 'ol Les Aspin and his staff.

AF: "I want a new stealth replacement for my F-16s, since I have the F-22 replacing the F-15C"

Marines: "I want a replacement for my Harriers, stealth would be nice."

Navy: "Hey, we want something too!"

OSD (Dad): "You'll all get one airplane and you'll like it, Spalding!"

Les Aspin, the "Robert Macnamara" of the 1990s.

• 3 months later...

"Test flights are “not permitted” within 25 miles of known lightning conditions due to a needed redesign to the On-Board Inert Gas Generating System (OBIGGS), which maintains correct oxygen levels in the fuel tank. The system is crucial to protecting the engine from exploding in case of a lightning strike."

"Test flights are “not permitted” within 25 miles of known lightning conditions due to a needed redesign to the On-Board Inert Gas Generating System (OBIGGS), which maintains correct oxygen levels in the fuel tank. The system is crucial to protecting the engine from exploding in case of a lightning strike."

WTF? What are they doing with this thing to even need something like that? Have I had my head buried in the sand?

• 4 weeks later...