F-35 Lightning info

HiFlyer

Any opinions, wagers, comments on which Guard units will make the cut for the -35. I guess the list is down to five units trying for two slots?  

Any opinions, wagers, comments on which Guard units will make the cut for the -35. I guess the list is down to five units trying for two slots?  

AL with Shelby bring senior and heading the SASC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

On 7/1/2017 at 10:06 AM, HerkFE said:

On 7/1/2017 at 10:59 AM, Clark Griswold said:

AL with Shelby bring senior and heading the SASC

When does that get announced?

When does that get announced?

Not sure - I have not heard any RUMINT

AF article linked below says after their initial candidate bases were identified in the spring of 17 that they just need an Environmental Impact Study then they will announce - approaching the end of the FY I think they could announce but that is just a WAG

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1022605/air-force-releases-candidate-installations-for-next-f-35a-bases/

On 7/8/2017 at 2:15 PM, Clark Griswold said:

approaching the end of the FY I think they could announce but that is just a WAG

Seems I heard around September but I can't remember where I heard it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Getting closer to getting another nation in the F-35 club

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15896/germany-says-the-f-35-is-the-preferred-choice-to-replace-its-tornados

http://aviationweek.com/combat-aircraft/germany-wants-fifth-gen-fighter-replace-tornado

Get France & India in the club also and keep distributing the cost overruns, have to come up with an export version specifically for those two but it can be done (probably).

Also a lot of RUMINT about the Navy wanting out of the F-35 business...trying to give them all to the USMC and buy a big lot (148), of Super Hornets.  I guess a long-term play to skip to 6th Gen.

So basically learn nothing and repeat the mistake the Marines made on skipping the Super Hornet to wait for 5th gen....

Yeah what could go wrong?
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Also a lot of RUMINT about the Navy wanting out of the F-35 business...trying to give them all to the USMC and buy a big lot (148), of Super Hornets.  I guess a long-term play to skip to 6th Gen.

200.gif

That would be something but maybe with this POTUS / SECDEF that are not beholden to convention they could do going to Advanced Capability Hornets / Super Hornets.  How do you sell that to Congress though?

With perfect hindsight and just my two cents, an A and B model fleet with the Navy (and Royal Navy) along with the USMC all flying the B and a D / G model made from a baseline B sans lift fan for a WW version or two seater for foreign customers desiring those types would have been a better one size fits all (kinda) approach.

Some articles from 2015 that maybe this RUMINT coming to pass, maybe...

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/02/22/us-navy-to-lockheed-martins-f-35-stealth-fighter-w.aspx

https://breakingdefense.com/2015/10/f-35c-a-wrong-turn-for-navy-cnas/

Edited by Clark Griswold
Added content

• 1 month later...

Again, very rarely in Europe is the choice in favor of actual capability.

The German Air Force is literally as worthless as tits on a bull.

I hear ya but I do follow their logic in preservation of an industrial capability (to build their own) versus being dependent wholly or partially on the US.
Just the execution of that theory needs work apparently.

On 7/10/2017 at 6:27 PM, Clark Griswold said:

Then I'm betting AL and WI

Looks like you take the money

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/local/f35/2017/12/21/its-ours-f-35-lands-montgomery-decision/747285001/

I heard Wisconsin was the other unit selected. I'm too lazy to verify

Edited by HerkFE
add link

12 minutes ago, HerkFE said:

Looks like you take the money

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/local/f35/2017/12/21/its-ours-f-35-lands-montgomery-decision/747285001/

I heard Wisconsin was the other unit selected. I'm too lazy to verify

Yup - WI was the other state.

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1402425/af-selects-locations-for-next-two-air-national-guard-f-35-bases/

Glad to see the Militia get some new iron.

Keeping up with F-35 news, Israel is looking at further mods and getting a single example test jet for development:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/10665/israel-is-getting-a-single-f-35-test-jet-unlike-any-other

More fuel, option of overriding ALIS, additional weapons for the internal bays, etc... 

Word in my neck of the woods is that the F-35 has some serious fuel onload problems. Specifically, the A-model only onloads fuel at about he same rate as a drogue receiver due to its restrictive AAR plumbing design. Even worse, the B-model doesn’t have external tanks approved yet??  This means that they can’t fly to remote destinations (e.g. Hawaii) because they simply don’t have the legs to get to a missed refueling base. 

On 7/10/2017 at 2:27 PM, Clark Griswold said:

Then I'm betting AL and WI

Nailed it!  Out of curiosity, what made you pick those locations?  Montgomery I get, they have access to over water ranges and are close to other 5th Gen assets.  However, I can't understand WI at all.  They're airspace isn't very good and you have to juke and jive around noise sensitive areas to get to initial (funny enough, much like VT).  Last time I was there, you couldn't even do patterns due to noise complaints.  

I have no desire to fly the 35 and even if my squadron had been on the list, I would have done everything possible to stick with the Viper until retirement.  They want 3 years full time, after a TX, for that thing...good luck getting that out of your part timers.  Anyway, there are a few other squadrons that make so much more sense than WI.  I shouldn't be surprised, tactical considerations be damned, politics clearly with the day.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

Nailed it!  Out of curiosity, what made you pick those locations?  Montgomery I get, they have access to over water ranges and are close to other 5th Gen assets.  However, I can't understand WI at all.  They're airspace isn't very good and you have to juke and jive around noise sensitive areas to get to initial (funny enough, much like VT).  Last time I was there, you couldn't even do patterns due to noise complaints.  

I have no desire to fly the 35 and even if my squadron had been on the list, I would have done everything possible to stick with the Viper until retirement.  They want 3 years full time, after a TX, for that thing...good luck getting that out of your part timers.  Anyway, there are a few other squadrons that make so much more sense than WI.  I shouldn't be surprised, tactical considerations be damned, politics clearly with the day.

Paul Ryan

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

You're smarter than that, why put a gen 5 fighter WAY UP NORTH.