how to get FAA ratings in Little Rock?

Guest trouble t

Guest trouble t

who's the guy or the FBO to contact in Little Rock about getting instrument, multi-engine, and commercial ratings? I finished pilot training a few months ago (shoulda knocked this FAA stuff out while outprocessing Corpus) and I'm here for the FTU.

at Corpus and Columbus there were local dudes (sim instructors in both cases) who had this process as streamlined as it could be; anyone know of a similar great American here in central AR?

thanks!

First, find a place to take the military competency test; I think it is Central Flying Service at LIT. You should be able to find gouge somewhere online; a quick search gives this. Next, set up an appointment at the Little Rock FSDO . Take all your paper work from T-6s and T-44s plus your test score print out to this appointment and you'll have your license. At least in Little Rock, there is no need for the middle man.

who's the guy or the FBO to contact in Little Rock about getting instrument, multi-engine, and commercial ratings?

at Corpus and Columbus there were local dudes (sim instructors in both cases) who had this process as streamlined as it could be; anyone know of a similar great American here in central AR?

You've got the FSDO right there in town (on Bond, next to Central). Fill out the 8710, make an appt with one of the inspectors, and drive down there. You've earned the ratings, you don't need to pay somebody like Bazemore to fill out the forms for you.

edit: Yeah, take your test first, then walk across the parking lot to the FSDO. I took my MCI test at Central last year. Sheppard Air has good test prep.

Edited by nunya

You've got the FSDO right there in town (on Bond, next to Central). Fill out the 8710, make an appt with one of the inspectors, and drive down there. You've earned the ratings, you don't need to pay somebody like Bazemore to fill out the forms for you.

edit: Yeah, take your test first, then walk across the parking lot to the FSDO. I took my MCI test at Central last year. Sheppard Air has good test prep.

Back when Orville, Wilbur and I went through UPT, they gave the you had the option of taking the written right before graduation. I left UPT with a Commercial Multi-Engine with a center line thrust restriction. When I went to Little Rock for AC school I took my logbook and Form 8 down to the FAA office and they removed the thrust restriction in about five minutes.

When you go to the FSDO to get a new certificate/rating based on your military credentials, I recommend you bring the following:

Form 8

Form 942

Flying History Report (the one that shows all the aircraft you've flown, and the times)

Your current 1042

- if you have a current FAA Medical, bring that, as many FSDO's do not realize that that 1042 can suffice

for a Class III Medical, as per the changes last year.

Filled out 8710 (see link above).

Any other FAA certificates you have.

Your USAF Aeronautical Orders: your SARM should be able to give you a copy.

Also, remember to ask to have them put "English Proficient" on the back of your new certificate.

And, remember... the FAA will not take walk ins. You must make an appt. :bash:

Edited by Huggyu2

• 2 years later...

Bringing this back from the dead. I took my mil-comp CFI test so now I need to get my paper work together for the FAA. Back in SA, I paid a DE $40 and he took care of everything for my comm/inst. Best $40 I've ever spent. Anyone have a guy like this in LR? I'd rather not dick around with the FSDO.

You're mistaken. Has to be a Mil-Comp DPE, so it does narrow the pool a little bit. The guy two posts up is MilComp for the LR FSDO.

You can find a mil comp guy here: http://av-info.faa.g...igneeSearch.asp - just choose MCFPE and your nearest FSDO office to find the list.

Great info...wish I would have known that 2 years ago.

Thanks for the edumacation!

Cheers,

Cap-10

• 2 weeks later...

To follow on: Do not let your CFI expire. Your CFI ticket has a 24-month clock on it, and there's no such thing as a Mil-Comp CFI recertification. You can use an Instructor Form 8 that's no older than 12 months to renew your CFI. You can also use the standard civilian routes if ground deployments, staff jobs, or the like get in the way. American Flyers $75 renewal for life seems to be the best deal out there, but its painful. Do not let your CFI expire or else you'll be explaining chandelles and constant speed props to a FAA designated examiner.

Thanks for the heads up.

I met with Rick last week and got my CFI shit knocked out in less than an hour. For those of you in LR that want to get your mil-comp stuff done, Rick is highly recommended. He can also do C-130 (L-382) type ratings with a valid Form 8.