U-28/PC-12/NSA

Ryder1587

Another question for those who have spent some time in a U-28 squadron. What is it like to be in a U-28 squadron that might be different from other airframes? For example, I've met a few C-5 Aircrew members who have mentioned they are really laid back with members of their squadron since they are on the road for long periods of time, and feel comfortable calling a full bird (Their Squadron Commander) by their first name in uniform, to include enlisted men. (Not Judging) . The KC-10 guys from what I notice seem to like the image of them being perceived as the "Gucci Boys". There is a squadron at Travis AFB where some of them choose to wear sunglasses that are blatantly out of regs. (Again, Not Judging I thought it was interesting)

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by CDAWG

Another question for those who have spent some time in a U-28 squadron. What is it like to be in a U-28 squadron that might be different from other airframes? For example, I've met a few C-5 Aircrew members who have mentioned they are really laid back with members of their squadron since they are on the road for long periods of time, and feel comfortable calling a full bird by their first name in uniform, to include enlisted men. (Not Judging) . Or for the KC-10 guys from what I notice seem like the image of them being perceived as the "Gucci Boys". There is a squadron at Travis AFB where some of them choose to wear sunglasses that are blatantly out of regs. (Again, Not Judging I thought it was interesting)

It was my first ops assignment so take this FWIW, but I don't know if I'll ever experience a better community. Extemely, extremly close knit group. It was the best combination of professionalism, cameradiere, and just dudes being dudes. I think it may also a side effect of AFSOC/SOCOM that although we never speak boastfully about what we do, everyone knows it's incredibly important work which helps keep everyone in check. The subdued patches, sunglasses and huge watches also help. Not so much on the full bird, first name thing (ref: professionalism). Still über chill though.

• Upvote 1

Another question for those who have spent some time in a U-28 squadron. What is it like to be in a U-28 squadron that might be different from other airframes? For example, I've met a few C-5 Aircrew members who have mentioned they are really laid back with members of their squadron since they are on the road for long periods of time, and feel comfortable calling a full bird (Their Squadron Commander) by their first name in uniform, to include enlisted men. (Not Judging) . The KC-10 guys from what I notice seem to like the image of them being perceived as the "Gucci Boys". There is a squadron at Travis AFB where some of them choose to wear sunglasses that are blatantly out of regs. (Again, Not Judging I thought it was interesting)

Definitely a chill organization of very professional guys. It's amazing how the most high time dudes are bros to the young bucks. There is also hardly any hazing of the new guys since they will be out the door in a few weeks with the rest of the squadron cutting their teeth all around the world. I've seen multiple CSO's and young pilots with over 1,000 combat hours before pinning on Captain. Hard to hassle that guy as an FNG.

First names are used like call signs in a fighter squadron. 90% get the first name treatment except the Lt Col's and other leadership types.

Hmm, I'm not sure the last 60 years support that claim.

1990-91: Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

1996: Operation Desert Strike

1998: Operation Desert Fox

1999: Operation Noble Anvil

2001-06: Operation Enduring Freedom

2003-06: Operation Iraqi Freedom

After late 2007... Got a little busy cleaning up some messes at home. From a fiscal standpoint (cost of tanker bridge from FJDG compared to BONEs operating from closer in theater, plus carrying fewer 1760 weapons at present) and a training standpoint (we integrated the ATP in the ops squadrons later and we don't maintain CMR in our MR10C mission, Armed Overwatch; not to mention, the nuke inspections are pretty important) I can't argue the division of labor (BONES in AFCENT/BUFFs in PACAF) that emerged after 2006. The day will come when someone needs bombers in an established theater for more than a day or two, and we'll get a call (and by my count, we've gotten teased on that call three times since 2009). Until then I'm going to keep preparing myself and not b*tch... too much.

Sorry for the thread derail.

There's no such thing as a full bird SQ/CC, to my knowledge, and I'm not sure what you mean by "non-regulation" sunglasses, but since per 11-202v3 the only authorized sunglasses are the Avaitor style ones, 95% of the AF flying community wear non-regulation sunglasses. I bet they didn't call an O6 by his first name, either. Closest I've seen is using callsigns, and not in a heavy squadron.

Combat Platypus, yep tha's a good name for the plane. Yeah, I like to say that I fly the Combat Herc.

Hey, does anyone fly the Combat Bone? Combat Falcon? Combat Hog? Combat Buff? Combat Barney? Combat Fred? Combat Eagle? Combat Wacker? Combat Extender? Now, I'm just laughing like a 3rd grader.

Out

It's a play off "Combat Wombat" (could be a play off Combat Talon) which is a play off "Combat Spear" which is what the now AC-130W was going to be called originally. You, at one time, had Combat Shadows, Combat Talons, and Combat Spears, so it would have fit the AFSOC naming convention...sort of.

If you don't know what you're talking about, maybe you don't be sarcastic...

Disagree. Spectre and Spooky are still just that. And the J is not gonna have "combat" either, at least according to LTG Fiel.

You can try to distance the gunship from the "combat" heritage all you want, but the AC-119 project was codenamed "Combat Hornet". The Spooky and Spectre had their programs named differently IIRC, and it wasn't adopted for whatever reason.

"Combat X" is what AFSOC considers heritage? Good God.

Is it ALL of the AFSOC heritage? Certainly not. Is it part of it? Without a doubt. I didn't name the projects, and neither did anyone who flies the planes now, but it doesn't mean we have any reason to snub what heritage is there just because it isn't deemed "cool". Many MDSs have nods to their predecessors in their aircraft or project name: PAVE, SENIOR, RIVET, etc. For whatever reason "Combat" was chosen by the folks back then for some of AFSOC's programs. It is what it is, get over it.

I personally think we should name every AFSOC aircraft "Combat ____". Not for heritage's sake, but because of the unfathomable amount of sand it packs into peoples' vaginas.

• Upvote 1

You can try to distance the gunship from the "combat" heritage all you want, but the AC-119 project was codenamed "Combat Hornet". The Spooky and Spectre had their programs named differently IIRC, and it wasn't adopted for whatever reason.

Is it ALL of the AFSOC heritage? Certainly not. Is it part of it? Without a doubt. I didn't name the projects, and neither did anyone who flies the planes now, but it doesn't mean we have any reason to snub what heritage is there just because it isn't deemed "cool". Many MDSs have nods to their predecessors in their aircraft or project name: PAVE, SENIOR, RIVET, etc. For whatever reason "Combat" was chosen by the folks back then for some of AFSOC's programs. It is what it is, get over it.

I personally think we should name every AFSOC aircraft "Combat ____". Not for heritage's sake, but because of the unfathomable amount of sand it packs into peoples' vaginas.

Shack, but I'll go further. I wasn't defending the naming convention. The "Combat Platipus" was meant as a joke just like "Combat Wombat" was. Apparently some people have some personal issues...there was one hell of an overreaction to this shit... The real U-28 nickname is "Combat TBD"...if it's not replaced first.