U-28/PC-12/NSA

Ryder1587

I think the predominance of T-38 studs going to the U-28 had more to do with the situation starting back in the '09 classes. Maybe 1 fighter per class, and the whole "universally assignable" (heavies) thing didn't really come to fruition until the end '09, beginning of '10 classes.

Simply put, the need for fighter pilots slowed drastically but the need in AFSOC was growing at the same time. Easy solution.

Just my thought.

• Upvote 1

Even back in Phase 1 there were 4 people in the class who claimed that NSAv or U-28 would be their preferred drop. One went to Rucker, one to -38s and the other two to Tones. As far as I can tell, the 3 still eligible are still very much interested.

Simply put, the need for fighter pilots slowed drastically but the need in AFSOC was growing at the same time.

I think that's likely it. I'm just of the opinion that there's no reason why they can't drop out of any fixed wing track.

There are some NSAv options out there that don't involve only single engine turbo prop time. We have been told thatwe can expect an NSAv, I'm sure if you let your preferences for multi time be known it would garner some consideration. That being said I would think that time flying a PC-12 / U-28 for AFSOC would be more valuable to the airlines than flying strictly a PC-12 in the corporate world. Then again, I don't know I'm not even worrying about that aspect yet.

Furthermore if you are really worrying about the airlines right now you might find it a challenge in AFSOC. If you are asking just to know, maybe a more appropriate forum would be calling/emailing the airlines. Otherwise you kind of come of sounding like a doofus.

Edited by Skitzo
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What about it comes to the airlines when you try to get out? Does it matter that it was mostly single engine turboprop time for them? Will they still hire you or no?

I think it's always a good idea to keep your career options open. What happens when you get RIF'd and got nothing but a multi-engine commercial and 2,000 single engine hours to show for your AF career?

That being said we have good news that at least when FedEx recently opened their window we asked them the question and were assured that PC-12/U-28 time was good via FedEx.

• Upvote 1

There are some NSAv options out there that don't involve only single engine turbo prop time. We have been told thatwe can expect an NSAv, I'm sure if you let your preferences for multi time be known it would garner some consideration. That being said I would think that time flying a PC-12 / U-28 for AFSOC would be more valuable to the airlines than flying strictly a PC-12 in the corporate world. Then again, I don't know I'm not even worrying about that aspect yet.

Furthermore if you are really worrying about the airlines right now you might find it a challenge in AFSOC. If you are asking just to know, maybe a more appropriate forum would be calling/emailing the airlines. Otherwise you kind of come of sounding like a doofus.

I've got a buddy flying for Atlas who told me I need to get more multi time if I wanted to fly for them (my time in the C-17 wasn't enough), so apparently (at least for this one company) multi time is more valuable. Also, if this dude's goal is to fly for the airlines after he gets out, the earlier he finds out what he needs to do, the better...nothing wrong with that.

I've got a buddy flying for Atlas who told me I need to get more multi time if I wanted to fly for them (my time in the C-17 wasn't enough), so apparently (at least for this one company) multi time is more valuable. Also, if this dude's goal is to fly for the airlines after he gets out, the earlier he finds out what he needs to do, the better...nothing wrong with that.

Noted, but the pilots at FedEX said the same thing till they checked with the hiring department. Next we are in the process of checking with SWA who are opening up soon.

Thanks for the real replies. It's called being well informed before picking an aircraft. Why would you choose to fly something before you know the pros/cons to all of your options? And no I'm not even sure I'd like to fly for the airlines but it's good to keep your options open.

Thanks for the real replies. It's called being well informed before picking an aircraft. Why would you choose to fly something before you know the pros/cons to all of your options? And no I'm not even sure I'd like to fly for the airlines but it's good to keep your options open.

I completely understanding wanting to procon every option before making your 'pick'. Just rank 'em by the mission you want to be a part of, remember they're all good, and when you get dropped something totally unexpected just enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

Noted, but the pilots at FedEX said the same thing till they checked with the hiring department. Next we are in the process of checking with SWA who are opening up soon.

No kidding, so if I understand you correctly, they WILL look favorably on my SE Turbo Prop time. Good to know.

I think it's always a good idea to keep your career options open. What happens when you get RIF'd and got nothing but a multi-engine commercial and 2,000 single engine hours to show for your AF career?

That being said we have good news that at least when FedEx recently opened their window we asked them the question and were assured that PC-12/U-28 time was good via FedEx.

Requirements straight from their website: https://fedex.pilotcredentials.com/index.php?a=qualifications

Are they saying single engine turbo prop will count for the 1000 multi (or jet) pic requirement or just the 1500 total time? Regardless, the tie breaker would obviously go to the guy with multi mil time. Guess it will just depend how many people Fedex hires.

1500 hours total fixed-wing time as pilot-in-command (PIC) or second-in-command in multi-engine turbo-prop A/C or jet A/C or combination thereof, including a minimum of 1000 hours total fixed-wing pilot-in-command in multi-engine turbo prop A/C or jet A/C or combination thereof. Note: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls. Note: FedEx considers only pilot time in fixed wing aircraft toward minimum qualifications. This does not include simulator, helicopter, flight engineer, bombardier, navigator, RIO, EWO, WSO, NFO, or Special Crew.

What time frame was this?

Bet it was prior to last Spring.

The "we prefer 38 studs" came from the mouth of a Hurlburt U-28 sq/cc during a MWS brief to the Laughlin studs. He said this in front of the 2 Lts he brought with him to talk, one was a 38 stud, one was a Toner dude

I don't think that's the last word on the subject.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

There is a good deal of info on the U-28 on this thread but very little posted about the NSA assignments out of Cannon. Is there anyone flying out of Cannon for NSA that is able to give some current deployment tempo, lifestyle, flying hours information?

If I've gotten snubbed because I used an incorrect acronym I apologize, we've been in the habit of using the term NSA for assignments into the PC-12, Dornier and I think there are one or two more aircraft flying out of Cannon. Would still appreciate any info on these assignments. Thanks